[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cards Are Thinking Bigger Than M. Bennett

Shotgun Messiahs

The Arizona Republic reports the Cardinals have two things an elite running back desiring a new home may seek: a job opening and salary-cap space. That's why they are mentioned prominently as possible suitors for Seattle RB Shaun Alexander and Indianapolis RB Edgerrin James. Both have been designated franchise players, but their teams are willing to trade them, and the clubs have made it known they would take less than a first-round pick in return. The Cardinals have been contacted by James' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, but haven't heard yet from Alexander's representatives. advertisement "We're not closing the door completely on any of those options," said Rod Graves, the Cardinals' vice president for football operations. The door, however, isn't wide open. Both Graves and HC Dennis Green are reluctant to give up draft picks in trades. In fact, both have said they would like to accumulate more before next month's draft.

IMO I don't see the Cards trading for James or Alexander. They have two young talented WR's and I think they'll take one of the considered top 3 RB's(Benson,Brown,Williams) in the draft with the #8 pick. One of these backs will surely be gone by their pick, so of the two remaining they'll take whichever one they grade higher. Here's their chance for a franchise back even with the considered depth at the position in this years' rookie class. I don't think they'll take a chance on a back in the 2nd round who may or may not become a stud. A top notch back will help the passing game so either McCown or Warner should be at least serviceable. I'm leaning towards McCown as I'm not sold on Warner as having much of an NFL career left. Taking one of the top 3 backs at #8 gives them a good young core of offensive players for years. Edge or Shaun either one would surely help the Cards anemic running game but I see them investing in young back who'll be around a while.

IMO I don't see the Cards trading for James or Alexander. They have two young talented WR's and I think they'll take one of the considered top 3 RB's(Benson,Brown,Williams) in the draft with the #8 pick. One of these backs will surely be gone by their pick, so of the two remaining they'll take whichever one they grade higher.  Here's their chance for a franchise back even with the considered depth at the position in this years' rookie class. I don't think they'll take a chance on a back in the 2nd round who may or may not become a stud.  A top notch back will help the passing game so either McCown or Warner should be at least serviceable. I'm leaning towards McCown as I'm not sold on Warner as having much of an NFL career left.  Taking one of the top 3 backs at #8 gives them a good young core of offensive players for years. Edge or Shaun either one would surely help the Cards anemic running game but I see them investing in young back who'll be around a while.

732123[/snapback]

No way!! Denny Green is a "now" coach...he wants to win and win fast...they have been teething their young WR's and to put the ball in Shipp's hands and a rookie to back him is not a great signal to the team...Boldin, Bryant & Fitz....match that with McCown or Warner (prob. Warner-if they want to win now and a proven threat at RB--Edge or Alexander and you have an explosive "O" and one you can't put 8 in the box against....Cards are viable threat if they can land Alexander first and or Edge second....they have the cap space and will be vying for division title this year...8th pick can then be a DE or CB to help the "D"......Cards are crazy if they can work it financially IMO not to get one of the two---can you say playoffs if they do??????? JMHO :D

No way!!  Denny Green is a "now" coach...he wants to win and win fast...they have been teething their young WR's and to put the ball in Shipp's hands and a rookie to back him is not a great signal to the team...Boldin, Bryant & Fitz....match that with McCown or Warner (prob. Warner-if they want to win now and a proven threat at RB--Edge or Alexander and you have an explosive "O" and one you can't put 8 in the box against....Cards are viable threat if they can land Alexander first and or Edge second....they have the cap space and will be vying for division title this year...8th pick can then be a DE or CB to help the "D"......Cards are crazy if they can work it financially IMO not to get one of the two---can you say playoffs if they do???????  JMHO :D

734995[/snapback]

I agree with you. The only thing I'm not sure of is their offensive line. They may have to spend a high pick on a stud offensive lineman understanding that they also still need D help. Plus the fact that they may be able to get Alexander and keep their 1st round pick.

Looking from afar(at least until May when I'll be moving to AZ)it seems to me that T Henry or A Thomas would be a nice fit for the Cards. That is of course if M Shipp is healthy because he strikes me as a nice 3rd down,change of pace guy who seems to have good hands. With a bruising straight ahead guy like Henry or Thomas(not Hambrick who is 2 yds and a cloud of....falling down on his own)it would be a nice backfield. I do like Bennett but have those concerns about durabilty but injuries are a way of life and Thomas and Henry haven't exactly been 16 games a season guys of late either. Seems like Thomas would be the cheaper of the 2 if $$ is a concern. With the WRs they have and if Warner gets a couple seconds to throw this O could be really exciting this season. Question....how is the D shaping up? I know they've brought in a couple fellas so far this off season but overall have they addressed thier big needs there?