[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ricky needs counseling.....Per Saban

Ziachild007

Nick Saban has told former Dolphin RB Ricky Williams before he would be welcomed back that he would need to undergo counseling.

Link

Posted on Tue, Mar. 22, 2005

DOLPHINS NOTEBOOK

Ricky option: counseling?

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO

asalguero@herald.com

Dolphins coach Nick Saban told erstwhile running back Ricky Williams the club's resources were at his disposal so he could seek ''professional help'' as a means of returning to the NFL, according to a source with knowledge of the conversation.

The coach said Monday through a spokesman he would not divulge the subject matter of his conversation with Williams -- or even confirm having talked to Williams.

But several sources confirmed the phone conversation between the men, and one said Saban offered Williams the chance to get psychological counseling.

According to a CBS-4 report, Williams was open to the idea of getting counseling and saw that openness as a sign of his maturity.

Williams has displayed what can best be described as inconsistent behavior in the past year. He retired in his prime, first citing a chance to be free from NFL bonds, then citing an unwillingness to stop smoking Josh Gordon, then citing unhappiness with the Dolphins offense and his use in it, then citing the team's reluctance to give him a new contract.

During his retirement Williams lived in a tent in Australia, toured with friend and rock star Lenny Kravitz, visited India and Asia, and attended a California school for holistic healing.

Saban told Williams he still has a future in the NFL but that he must first figure out if he has a renewed commitment to the game, the source said. The psychological counseling could be one avenue for figuring that out.

Even if Williams were to begin therapy and find a renewed love for football, he cannot return to the Dolphins until July, or else he would face a one-year suspension under the NFL substance-abuse policy. Williams also might face a four-week suspension if he does return.

The Dolphins, who are considering drafting a running back with the No. 2 overall pick, could decide Williams has the greatest value to the organization by trading him.

Hey, that's a unique idea ... :D

How about he serve his suspension for illegal drug use ... and THEN testify in court against the drug dealer that supplies his illegal activities ... and THEN he get counseling and undergo testing to prove he's clean ... and THEN let him come back with ongoing testing?

Hey, that's a unique idea ...  :D

How about he serve his suspension for illegal drug use ... and THEN testify in court against the drug dealer that supplies his illegal activities ... and THEN he get counseling and undergo testing to prove he's clean ... and THEN let him come back with ongoing testing?

746562[/snapback]

You haven't had your coffee yet, have you?

Hey, that's a unique idea ...  :D

746562[/snapback]

F'n Rat.

The door is open for Ricky. Is he broke? Has he really scrapped all his bowls and quit the mean green?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...john&id=2019156

747152[/snapback]

Imagine... Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown in the same backfield. I would pay to see that. Don't think it will happen though.

If there were still a few months until the draft, I could see Ricky making his way back to the team and Miami using that 1.2 pick for a defensive player -- or trading down.

Given the draft is a month away, I doubt it will be clear by then whether or not he is coming back and if so, what the league has to say about it.

I don't think Ricky will ever play in the NFL again. IMHO.

748443[/snapback]

I expect that if he wants to play, somone will take a chance on him. If I were the Fins' I wouldn't do it though. While Ricky was overused by Wannstadt (393 carries in 2003, I think) he's simply too unstable and addicted to rely on.

If you are the Dolphins, ship Ricky's contract rights somewhere else for whatever you can get, and take Ronnie Brown or Cadillac with your first rounder.

Ricky needs counciling, Naw :D