[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seymour a no-show at Pats minicamp

charty

Seymour a no-show at Pats minicamp

By Boston.com And Globe Staff | June 9, 2005

FOXBOROUGH --All-Pro defensive end Richard Seymour did not attend today’s mandatory Patriots minicamp at Gillette Stadium.

When asked where Seymour was, coach Bill Belichick replied simply, “Unexcused.”

“I don’t have any comment on it,” Belichick said. “He’s not here and he’s under contract. I don’t really have much more to say on it.”

Belichick earlier this week would not comment on possible contract negotiations with Seymour, who has two years remaining on his deal and is in line for a sizable raise if and when his contract is extended.

“Everyone here makes a decision whether to be here or not,” Patriots quarterback Tom Brady said today. “I don’t know why he’s not here.”

Today, the Patriots are gathering on the field for the first time since winning the Super Bowl, in what should be the closest thing to real football until training camp begins the last week of July.

Close to real football, but not real football.

The players hit the field for three days of practice (closed to the public) this morning for what Belichick describes as a teaching camp.

''This is not an evaluation camp," Belichick said earlier this week. ''There's no emphasis on timing and execution, mostly on teaching. We have a long way to go before we have to play."

Seymour is a LOT more important than Ty Law... No Seymour, they have a huge hole in the middle of there D line

839442[/snapback]

That's what I said right before he missed the game against the Colts in the play-offs last year.

Edited by CaptainHook

Seymour is a LOT more important than Ty Law... No Seymour, they have a huge hole in the middle of there D line, and with Bruschi not being there either, I agree, the cracks are starting to show.

839442[/snapback]

Yep, Washington and Traylor were huge for their run D over the past two years.

According to Sal Palontonio, sources within the Pats organization and close to Bruschi are reportedly telling him to sit out this season. Since he has a wife and three kids, 4 SB appearances with 3 rings, and nine seasons of NFL salary in the bank, I don't see him playing this year.

I'll stop short of Vanderjagt's idiotic "ripe for the picking" comment and simply say that I don't like their chances of three-peating.