[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Worst Pick: 3rd Pick

playsccr

This started out as a mock IDP redraft, but we decided to play it out as a league.

http://football.myfantasyleague.com/2005/o...ns?L=60808&O=17

The First D player taken was in the third. With the infusion of the rookies this year, the RB pool is deeper. That makes it a bit easier to take Manning early, IMHO. Some RB's like Staley and Foster lasted quite late, as owners started a huge IDP run in the 5th round.

848236[/snapback]

:D CALL ME CRAZY BUT WHAT DOES IDP mean?

I can't handle this anymore. I can't explain myself anymore at this point. Its this simple--------

A. Take Manning

B. Go to the playoffs

C. If you didn't take Manning, be pissed that you didn't.

(this response would be no different if LT and Shuan were still on the board.)

I can't handle this anymore.  I can't explain myself anymore at this point.  Its this simple--------

A.  Take Manning

B.  Go to the playoffs

C.  If you didn't take Manning, be pissed that you didn't.

(this response would be no different if LT and Shuan were still on the board.)

863168[/snapback]

I'm thinking of saving these points for the end of the year when Manning *doesn't* throw for 93 touchdowns.

I saw many teams miss the playoffs last year with Manning. And he broke records last year. He won't be doing that this year. Teams are too smart for that.

I'm thinking of saving these points for the end of the year when Manning *doesn't* throw for 93 touchdowns.

I saw many teams miss the playoffs last year with Manning.  And he broke records last year.  He won't be doing that this year.  Teams are too smart for that.

863450[/snapback]

I'm guessing that Manning doesn't even get 40 TDs. My opinion isn't as based upon last season as it is the past 4 or 5. The big difference between Manning and other QBs not named Daunte is consistency. A stinker game from your QB will generally kill your week. Normal QBs have 4-5. Peyton has 1-2, and even those aren't brutal. Way more teams missed the playoffs with LT than did with Manning. I don't understand how everybody is making this so complicated.

This one is kind of funny for me. Last year in my keeper league I traded LT for Manning. Straight up deal. My team was 0-6 when I did the deal. Got Peyton, instantly won my next 6. Who were my stud RBs then you ask??? How about Westbrook and Goings!?!?!? Peyton Manning DOES make that big of a difference.

My team was 0-6 when I did the deal.  Got Peyton, instantly won my next 6.  Who were my stud RBs then you ask???  How about Westbrook and Goings!?!?!?    Peyton Manning DOES make that big of a difference.

863627[/snapback]

Big deal on the turn around. I was 4-1 and averaging ~85 pts/week last year and promptly lost the next 6 games still averaging ~85 pts and with no significant roster changes. As for your "stud RBs"... Do you not realize what Westbrook and Goings did last year? Westbrook ended up with over 1500yds and 9 TDs. Goings had 1200 yds and 7 TDs and only started 8 games, he also got hot during your little 6 game win streak. Most years you could say I did all this and did it with only Westbrook and Goings but last year was the exception to the rule. Draft Manning first this year and then follow that up with Westbrook and Goings, or equivalent, and see how things work out.

point being that if you draft right and watch the FAs, it isn't as difficult as everybody seems to think it is to put some decent talent around Manning. He'll do the rest. ANd I'm sorry about your luck, but my average PPG skyrocketed. I have drafted Manning first again this year and got a good supporting cast around him and most in my league have commented on how scary my team looks. You're still talking starting RBs, its not like if you get Manning you're gonna have to start TJ Duckett & Marshall Faulk.

LT and Shaun are not that far ahead of the 15th & 16th RBs. Peyton Manning is LIGHT YEARS above the 4th QB.

point being that if you draft right and watch the FAs, it isn't as difficult as everybody seems to think it is to put some decent talent around Manning.  He'll do the rest.  ANd I'm sorry about your luck, but my average PPG skyrocketed.  I have drafted Manning first again this year and got a good supporting cast around him and most in my league have commented on how scary my team looks.  You're still talking starting RBs, its not like if you get Manning you're gonna have to start TJ Duckett & Marshall Faulk. 

LT and Shaun are not that far ahead of the 15th & 16th RBs.  Peyton Manning is LIGHT YEARS above the 4th QB.

863670[/snapback]

A couple things... First of all, thanks for drawing attention to and making my point by mentioning "bad luck", luck being the operative word here. Second, I still think you're overlooking how hugh Goings was and don't tell me how your FF savvy was rewarded with that pick up because nobody saw that coming. Third and most important of all based upon my local redraft which awards 6 pts for all TDs and TD passes...

Peyton Manning scored 142 more points than the 4th ranked QB

Shaun Alexander scored 218(almost twice as many) more points than the 15th ranked RB

By the way, I'm sure we'd all like to see your 2005 roster that all your leaguemates are thinking is so "scary"

A couple things... First of all, thanks for drawing attention to and making my point by mentioning "bad luck", luck being the operative word here.  Second, I still think you're overlooking how hugh Goings was and don't tell me how your FF savvy was rewarded with that pick up because nobody saw that coming.  Third and most important of all based upon my local redraft which awards 6 pts for all TDs and TD passes...

Peyton Manning scored 142 more points than the 4th ranked QB

Shaun Alexander scored 218(almost twice as many) more points than the 15th ranked RB

By the way, I'm sure we'd all like to see your 2005 roster that all your leaguemates are thinking is so "scary"

864327[/snapback]

wow thats pretty odd. I am going over our numbers right now and it isn't even freaking close!!!!! Manning, Pep and Donovan are so far ahead of the others its sickening. Even then we're talking Favre/Bulger/Plummer, none of which are guys I would feel all that confident in.

Alexander, in a league dominated by RB scoring, was only 6-7 PPG higher than the Portis/Taylor group.

In my local, Manning was ahead of both Bulger and Favre by 11-13 PPG (5&6).

LT (highest in my league) outscored #22 Rudi Johnson by 10 PPG. You have to draft incredibly well (or get very lucky) to pick the right QB after the top couple. Decent football knowledge can get you two RBs later on.

Since you asked.....

P. Manning

S. Jackson

L. Jordan

S. Smith

N. Burleson

J. Witten

J. Wilkins

the one downfall I came to because of the Manning pick was a failure to get a true #1 receiver. However, I was able to get quality depth (Jackson, Chambers, J.Smith), so I think I'll be fine.

Ok, forget my original numbers as I realized that that particular league is loaded with bonuses. Nice and simple...

Performance scoring, all TDs 6 pts, 1 pt/10rushyds/10recyds/20passyds, -2pt/int

Manning

TDs - 49 = 294pts

Pyds - 4557 = 227pts

Ryds - 38 = 3pts

Ints - 10 = -20pts

Total points = 504

T.Green -#4

TDs - 27 = 162pts

Pyds - 4585 = 229pts

Ryds - 85 = 8pts

Ints - 17 = -34

Total points = 365

The difference = 139pts

Alexander

TDs - 20 = 120pts

Ryds - 1688 = 168pts

Recyds - 170 = 17pts

Total points = 305pts

A. Green-#15

TDs - 8 = 48pts

Ryds - 1163 = 116pts

Recyds - 275 = 27pts

Total points = 191

The difference = 114pts

Not a big difference, is there? Of course we're talking about the #15 RB vs the #4 QB but you can't compare the two simply as numbers. You need to look at the draft. According to my experience and ADP compilations from various sites, that #15 RB will be gone if you don't draft him by the end of the 2nd round. That #4 QB can be had somewhere between rounds 5-7. As for you not being comfortable with any QB after the top couple, Green has put up very similar stats for the last three years, improving slightly with each season.

Nice team. I can see why someone might say it could be scary. I can only hope you do well, as I have both Jackson and Jordan in a keeper league. I will say this though for sure. That's probably a boon or bust team. That roster may very well test your theory that Manning can carry a team full of average performers.

Ok, forget my original numbers as I realized that that particular league is loaded with bonuses.  Nice and simple...

Performance scoring, all TDs 6 pts, 1 pt/10rushyds/10recyds/20passyds, -2pt/int

Manning

TDs - 49 = 294pts

Pyds - 4557 = 227pts

Ryds - 38 = 3pts

Ints - 10 = -20pts

Total points = 504

T.Green -#4

TDs - 27 = 162pts

Pyds - 4585 = 229pts

Ryds - 85 = 8pts

Ints - 17 = -34

Total points = 365

The difference = 139pts

Alexander

TDs - 20 = 120pts

Ryds - 1688 = 168pts

Recyds - 170 = 17pts

Total points = 305pts

A. Green-#15

TDs - 8 = 48pts

Ryds - 1163 = 116pts

Recyds - 275 = 27pts

Total points = 191

The difference = 114pts

Not a big difference, is there?  Of course we're talking about the #15 RB vs the #4 QB but you can't compare the two simply as numbers.  You need to look at the draft.  According to my experience and ADP compilations from various sites, that #15 RB will be gone if you don't draft him by the end of the 2nd round.  That #4 QB can be had somewhere between rounds 5-7.  As for you not being comfortable with any QB after the top couple, Green has put up very similar stats for the last three years, improving slightly with each season.

Nice team.  I can see why someone might say it could be scary.  I can only hope you do well, as I have both Jackson and Jordan in a keeper league.  I will say this though for sure.  That's probably a boon or bust team.  That roster may very well test your theory that Manning can carry a team full of average performers.

865163[/snapback]

Trent Green is nice too, you almost class him in that first group. So I guess after 4 its a crapshoot. Even in a small 10 team league, that #10 QB is hurtin. Just about every fantasy team at least starts the year with decent RBs. WOuld you care to share which RB was 139 pts behind Alexander? I mean, I see your point, and call me cocky, but I'm very confident in my ability to draft good running backs and find hidden gems. Studs definitely help, I just think there are more of them at RB than anywhere else, and I believe getting one at another position gives you a big advantage. Its a little risky but can pay off huge if you draft the right RBs.