[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Auction format

Ralph Furley

I partly understand the appeal of being able to pick the guys you like, but I don't agree that a draft only allows the owner to pick players "who everyone else doesn't want". During a draft, it's rare that I think to myself, "Damm...I really don't like my options." Every player has a relative value and, if I believe I've determined their real values, there's almost always a player I WANT in any given round.

In an auction, I can't believe it's much different. If I really want Javon Walker and I have to pay more than I expected, then it hurts my chances to get another player I really want. So, in the end, it comes down to choosing which players you like MORE than the others -- just like a draft.

You can't have all the players you want either way. Whether it's a draft or auction, you're probably going to be disappointed when somebody else picks (or overpays for) one of your "sleepers".

No, I've never done a fantasy auction, so I can't say a draft is better. However, I absolutely LOVE drafting. I would need a major reason to change something I love to something I don't know. There's nothing like the strategy of drafting.

Plus, I like my "fantasy" to be as close to reality as possible. The NFL conducts a draft and that's why fantasy football BEGAN with a draft. :D

863724[/snapback]

Just an FYI, if you want more reality than an auction is the way to go. Depending on how your league is run, you get to set salaries each year, decide to keep players that fit into your budget, set lengths of contracts and figuring out if the player you own is worth the money you're willing to pay him for the following year. You have to actually budget your salary cap and be smart with your money allowed to spend. Trust me, I thought nothing would be better than a draft, but when we began an auction/keeper system, it made our league 100% better.

• 2 weeks later...
I partly understand the appeal of being able to pick the guys you like, but I don't agree that a draft only allows the owner to pick players "who everyone else doesn't want". During a draft, it's rare that I think to myself, "Damm...I really don't like my options." Every player has a relative value and, if I believe I've determined their real values, there's almost always a player I WANT in any given round.

In an auction, I can't believe it's much different. If I really want Javon Walker and I have to pay more than I expected, then it hurts my chances to get another player I really want. So, in the end, it comes down to choosing which players you like MORE than the others -- just like a draft.

You can't have all the players you want either way. Whether it's a draft or auction, you're probably going to be disappointed when somebody else picks (or overpays for) one of your "sleepers".

No, I've never done a fantasy auction, so I can't say a draft is better. However, I absolutely LOVE drafting. I would need a major reason to change something I love to something I don't know. There's nothing like the strategy of drafting.

Plus, I like my "fantasy" to be as close to reality as possible. The NFL conducts a draft and that's why fantasy football BEGAN with a draft. :D

863724[/snapback]

Does anyone else have a response to some of the other points I made? DMD? Los G? Policy?

I'm almost looking for a reason to try an auction, but I guess I need a little incentive.

863724[/snapback]

Wrong. In an auction league, the guy who gets LaDanian Tomlinson is the guy who wants him the most. In a draft league, the guy who gets LaDanian Tomlinson is the guy with the first pick--even if the guy with the first pick really wanted to build around Peyton Manning this year. An auction allows you to build your team, a draft means "consensus" builds your team for you.

Peace

policy

Wrong.  In an auction league, the guy who gets LaDanian Tomlinson is the guy who wants him the most.  In a draft league, the guy who gets LaDanian Tomlinson is the guy with the first pick--even if the guy with the first pick really wanted to build around Peyton Manning this year.  An auction allows you to build your team, a draft means "consensus" builds your team for you.

Peace

policy

876507[/snapback]

To reference my previous post again...aren't there PLENTY of players you wouldn't mind having on your team?

Do you agree with what I said about "liking your options" at any point during a draft? If that's the case, then I have to believe you're getting guys you "like" (or "value") in both formats.

863724[/snapback]

Yes, the NFL conducts a draft--to stack the deck against the the successful teams and give the weak teams a helping hand. It's also only a rookie draft, versus a full team draft. Drafting is specifically designed to be unfair. "Draft strategy" is nothing but picking from a limited menu, based on how much more limited the you think menu will be next time around.

Again, letting other owners pick my team for me is not fantasy football, it's an exercise in hoping I'm in a leage full of morons.

Peace

policy

To reference my previous post again...aren't there PLENTY of players you wouldn't mind having on your team?

Do you agree with what I said about "liking your options" at any point during a draft? If that's the case, then I have to believe you're getting guys you "like" (or "value") in both formats.

876513[/snapback]

Sure, but you can't shape your team around whoever you want, you can't pursue whatever strategy you want, you can't build the team YOU WANT. You can "get good value" in a draft when the other owners let people slide. But if I'm picking ninth in a twelve team draft, and the first eight picks were all running backs, I have to sit there and go "hmm, do I take the ninth-best RB on the board, or do I take the best QB or WR? If I wait, I'll probalby be stuck with the twelfth-best RB when it comes around to my next pick, but I'm sure Peyton Manning is gonna outscore Corey Dillon . . . ."

Again, F that.

Peace

policy

863724[/snapback]

In the auction, at least you get to make the choice of spending that extra money to get the player you want. In the draft, someone else makes that decision for you. Of course you can't get all the players you want, that would be crazy. But, you get to choose who you want to build your team around.

Another great thing about the draft is sometimes you can sit back for awhile and get some GREAT value for players later in the draft. For example, last year, I bought Wayne and Walker for $5 each...$100 cap. There are always players who go for way more than their worth and others that are very undervalued.

The other "fun" part about the auction is the stategy. :D Knowing when to bid that extra $1 to get LT or letting some sucker get into a bidding war with you over Chris Brown and stick him with Brown for an extra $5. You have to figure out who to throw out for bid and when. Do you throw out a guy you really like early and hope everyone is scared to spend their money right away or do you throw out players that multiple owners have man love for and watch them spend $$$ early and you swoop in and get your guys at a discount. You have to budget your money, you have a chance at every player out there not every 10th or so. :D

In a draft if I have the #2 pick and I really like Manning this year, I have to weigh the fact that I will not get a tier 1 or even tier 2 RB. I'm almost forced to take Alexander or somebody like that instead. With the auction I can pay the $$ for Manning and still get a chance at a top tier RB. (if I want to spend the $$)

Also, if you are at #10 and let's say Manning starts sliding down to a point where he is #1 on your board but there are still 3 guys ahead of you, you still have to wait to get him. In an auction if you have Manning at $40 and the current bid is $25 you have the ability to get him at a bargain value. That is the major difference in the two. :D

876513[/snapback]

its not about having no options, its about having more options. For example: If I wanted LT and Manning, and crap for the rest of the team, I can't dot hat in a draft.

If I want to go with bargain RBs and get Moss TO and Holt as my WR's, I can do that in an auction.

In a draft, do you ever get to your pick and say, darn, I want both player X and player Y, but neither will last to my next pick. In an auction, you can get both, if you pay enough.

if I pick at 3.6, and really want gonzalez, but can't justify taking him before 4.1, I will never have him on my team. In an auction, players go to the teams that value them the most.

In a draft, to a certain extent, the shape of your team is dictated by where you draft. In an auction, you have so much more control.

In a draft, to a certain extent, the shape of your team is dictated by where you draft.  In an auction, you have so much more control.

877087[/snapback]

DMD has stressed this year that in his mock reviews he is looking more at draft stategy of WHERE you picked versus actual players. This adds credence to what Los Gigantes said.

Edited by T-Scorp