[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Auction format

Ralph Furley

Moving the league I commish to an auction/keeper format several years ago was the best thing I ever did for my league. I see a lot of questions on these boards about what pick they'll have in the draft and what to do with it. I'm very surprised at the number of snake draft questions compared with the number of auction questions.

I'm a strong believer in the auction and what it can do for a league. It took a little convincing of a few people in my league, but now there is no way we'd go back to a snake draft. It's just too much fun and seems to add a lot more to the off season. Anyone feel the same way I do? And for those of you that still use the snake draft, have any of you considered moving to an auction? Why or why not?

A live auction is tough to do, in my local league we all get together

at my house for beers... and I couldn't see an auction being

done in 4 or 5 hours.

859148[/snapback]

We've been doing a live auction draft for four years and it takes about four hours.

10 teams-15 roster spots. Very competitive league.

A live auction is tough to do, in my local league we all get together

at my house for beers... and I couldn't see an auction being

done in 4 or 5 hours.

859148[/snapback]

Live auctions are the best! My MML does a 12-team, 14-slot roster auction--plus a six-man developmental draft--in under four hours every year. We've been an auction league from the start (10 years ago now? 11?), and let me tell you: drafts SUCK. Everybody loves to do drafts up like the NFL, and have a draft board and annouce picks and all that, but when it comes to building a fantasy football team, you're either left with whoever everyone else didn't want, or stuck riding one guy. F that. Auctions allow you to build YOUR team, the way YOU want it, with the players YOU want.

The only place for draft leagues is on the Internet, when nobody wants to pony up for MFL.

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

I'd love to move my local league to the auction format but I don't see them going for it ... the other problem is that we do a live draft at my home and I don't want to run an auction keeping up with all the salaries of all the teams while attempting to do my own draft.

859128[/snapback]

This is why you have a friend of the league (former owner, drinking buddy, whoever) play 'auctioneer'. He runs the bidding, notes who got who for how much, etc. Besides, most competent owners can write down all that stuff while it's happening anyway.

Peace

policy

This is why you have a friend of the league (former owner, drinking buddy, whoever) play 'auctioneer'.  He runs the bidding, notes who got who for how much, etc.  Besides, most competent owners can write down all that stuff while it's happening anyway.

Peace

policy

859175[/snapback]

I struggle to get all 12 owners together at the same time ... let alone a 13th person ...

I switched my league to auction 5 years ago. It doesn't take any longer than a draft as you don't have to wait 5 minutes for someone to pick their 3rd TE!! :doah:

The other two leagues I'm in both use the draft, one because we can never get all the owners at the draft so they draft via internet, and the other is a keeper leaugue and the commish doesn't want to keep track of salaries from year to year.

If you are in a redraft league and you draft live IMHO auction is the best way to go. The owners in my auction league would not go back to drafting. There is more skill involved and you keep everyone involved for most of the draft.

I have a buddy as the auctioneer...free food and drink for him!

One neat twist we do is Party Players...we have two players designated by a non owner (the auctioneer or my wife) and the owner(s) who buy those players have to hold a football party by week 8 of the season. It is a great opportunity to get together and talk trade/smack and play some poker and drink beer :D

This is why you have a friend of the league (former owner, drinking buddy, whoever) play 'auctioneer'.  He runs the bidding, notes who got who for how much, etc.  Besides, most competent owners can write down all that stuff while it's happening anyway.

Peace

policy

859175[/snapback]

You don't even need an auctioneer. The way we do it is by sitting in a semi-circle and the first person brings up a player. The bidding goes around the circle until there is no bidding. After you buy a player, you get the sticker (yes I use CBS and have their draft board) and record underneath that player how much money you have left to spend. No problem. Done in about 4-5 hours. It could actually be faster, but we like to have a good time.

We've been doing a live auction draft for four years and it takes about four hours.

10 teams-15 roster spots. Very competitive league.

859166[/snapback]

I guess I'm ignorant to this because I've never done it.

I don't know how it would work.

When we did our ConFusion auction, it took over 2 months!

You don't even need an auctioneer.  The way we do it is by sitting in a semi-circle and the first person brings up a player.  The bidding goes around the circle until there is no bidding. 

859203[/snapback]

I had an image of you guys sitting around singing campfire songs. :D

Once you have team owners that have already played fantasy football and are comfortable with player values (or at least they think they are), then auctions are so superior to drafts that there is no comparison. They are WAY more fun and involving.

Here is an old article comparing the two

They really do not take any longer than a regular draft and if they do, it is because it has been more fun with everyone bidding. After an auction is about halfway done, players go for minimum amounts and don't take long at all - probably faster than someone wanting to think about their pick for a few minutes.

If your league drafts live, then they are really missing out on some fun if they do not do an auction. And using FantasyAuctioneer online is almost as cool.

Once you have team owners that have already played fantasy football and are comfortable with player values (or at least they think they are), then auctions are so superior to drafts that there is no comparison. They are WAY more fun and involving.

They really do not take any longer than a regular draft and if they do, it is because it has been more fun with everyone bidding. After an auction is about halfway done, players go for minimum amounts and don't take long at all - probably faster than someone wanting to think about their pick for a few minutes.

If your league drafts live, then they are really missing out on some fun if they do not do an auction. And using FantasyAuctioneer online is almost as cool.

859439[/snapback]

Do you ever set up a mock auction draft?

859439[/snapback]

Couldn't agree with you more.

I have one league that I think I've finally convinced them to go auction this year. The other two are and always have been. I prefer auction for the reasons listed above. If you tag the seventh spot in a 12-team league, who the hail do you take? With an auction, EVERYONE can get LT, Peyton, whomever they want to spend their money on. And the reason it doesn't take that long is because after the big money has been spent, you're generally down to two or three people bidding on what serpentine systems would consider middle-round guys. Instead of the guy with pick 7.8 agonizing over TJ Houshyourdaddy or Lavernandshirleyus Coles, you have one or two guys who've targeted each and off they go until one of them cries uncle.

Has anyone ever done a mix? I'm thinking of maybe doing a auction for 8-10 roster spots and then do either waiver wire or supplemental draft for the remaining roster spots. This would keep everyone involved for 2-3 hours, without holding everyone around to spend their last few dollars on Correll Buckhalter or Ricky Proehl. And then, maybe the supplemental draft order could be determined by whoever has the most money leftover?

I agree, I love it, but it is extremely hard to get everyone together at one time and usually we have three or four that have to run out as soon as it is over. The rest of us typically go to the local tavern and analyze all of the teams and begin the smack talking.

when it comes to building a fantasy football team, you're either left with whoever everyone else didn't want, or stuck riding one guy.  F that.  Auctions allow you to build YOUR team, the way YOU want it, with the players YOU

Peace

policy

859172[/snapback]

I partly understand the appeal of being able to pick the guys you like, but I don't agree that a draft only allows the owner to pick players "who everyone else doesn't want". During a draft, it's rare that I think to myself, "Damm...I really don't like my options." Every player has a relative value and, if I believe I've determined their real values, there's almost always a player I WANT in any given round.

In an auction, I can't believe it's much different. If I really want Javon Walker and I have to pay more than I expected, then it hurts my chances to get another player I really want. So, in the end, it comes down to choosing which players you like MORE than the others -- just like a draft.

You can't have all the players you want either way. Whether it's a draft or auction, you're probably going to be disappointed when somebody else picks (or overpays for) one of your "sleepers".

No, I've never done a fantasy auction, so I can't say a draft is better. However, I absolutely LOVE drafting. I would need a major reason to change something I love to something I don't know. There's nothing like the strategy of drafting.

Plus, I like my "fantasy" to be as close to reality as possible. The NFL conducts a draft and that's why fantasy football BEGAN with a draft. :D

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead