[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Darrell Jackson for a draft pick?

12 Team/Keep 5/Performance

The particulars

I am not keeping DJax nor any other WRs and we start 3. I have been offered a yet to be determined 3rd round pick(we redraw for draft position before the 3rd). I have pick 2.05 and two 3rd round picks already. If dropped back into the pool Djax will likely be the best available FF WR. The owner offering the pick will obviously keep him and in turn weaken the pool of available players by dropping a lesser WR. Expect the top 20 WRs to be kept.

The question

Do I...

Make the trade? You can never have too many early picks and the ability to have a 4th pick in a two round span is too good to pass up. I could draft 3 WRs and a QB much earlier I'd normally be able to or even draft 4 WRs.

or

Reject the trade? Drop him back into the pool, deepening that initial pool of 15-17 players in the draft and possibly making him available even to me at 2.05. I'd still still have 2 3rd rounders and if I can get DJax back or someone similar at 2.05 those two 3rds will be plenty.

*Please don't ask who else I'm keeping or who I'm taking in the 1st because that's a lock at this point. Just assume I have no other options but the above mentioned ones. Thanks.

If you're dropping him anyway and can get a pick for a guy you'd drop anyway I'd do it. DJax certainly isn't good enough for you to say I can't make this deal and weaken the WR pool more or well if I don't deal him I can maybe get him back. I'd make the deal. Getting a 3rd round pick for a guy you'd drop seems like a pretty easy call to me.

Edited by giantsfan

12 Team/Keep 5/Performance

The particulars

I am not keeping DJax nor any other WRs and we start 3.  I have been offered a yet to be determined 3rd round pick(we redraw for draft position before the 3rd).  I have pick 2.05 and two 3rd round picks already.  If dropped back into the pool Djax will likely be the best available FF WR.  The owner offering the pick will obviously keep him and in turn weaken the pool of available players by dropping a lesser WR.  Expect the top 20 WRs to be kept. 

The question

Do I...

Make the trade?  You can never have too many early picks and the ability to have a 4th pick in a two round span is too good to pass up.  I could draft 3 WRs and a QB much earlier I'd normally be able to or even draft 4 WRs.

or

Reject the trade?  Drop him back into the pool, deepening that initial pool of 15-17 players in the draft and possibly making him available even to me at 2.05.  I'd still still have 2 3rd rounders and if I can get DJax back or someone similar at 2.05 those two 3rds will be plenty.

*Please don't ask who else I'm keeping or who I'm taking in the 1st because that's a lock at this point.  Just assume I have no other options but the above mentioned ones.  Thanks.

872170[/snapback]

who are you taking in the 8th?

i think it should work. your WRs would be like Rod Smith, Deion Branch, and Brandon Stokley. you would also get someone like carson palmer as your QB.

If you're dropping him anyway and can get a pick for a guy you'd drop anyway I'd do it. DJax certainly isn't good enough for you to say I can't make this deal and weaken the WR pool more or well if I don't deal him I can maybe get him back. I'd make the deal. Getting a 3rd round pick for a guy you'd drop seems like a pretty easy call to me.

872174[/snapback]

What he said

Just kicking around some ideas...

Instead of

Jackson for his undetermined 3rd(gives me 5 picks in the first 3 rounds)

How about

Jackson and one of my 3rds for his 2nd, 2.06(would still have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds but 3 in the first 18 picks)

Thoughts?

He also has my 4th rounder from a trade made last season. Anyone think of a trade package that might involve that? Just looking for some creative ideas to throw at him in the bargaining process.

I hope this makes sense, but I'd be careful dropping him back out there. If you start 3, and you know already that the top 20 WRs will be gone, DJax may be your best option at WR. I mean if somebody else is ddep at RB and looking for a WR, I would think that they'd probably take him before you. Just a thought. Unless you are sure you could get him back n the draft...if you want him that is. I would just hate to be stacked at RB when you can only start 2, and have no decent WRs on a weekly basis. Interesting dilema though.

Definite trade situation unless you have the #1 pick and are going ot take him there.

Either str8 up for the 3rd round pick or your counter suggestion of DJax and the 3rd for a 2nd, assuming it is a decent enough 2nd that you would give up 2 3rd rounders for.

If you don't have the 1st pick, or you do but don't plan on using it on DJax, there is no reason not to do the trade as you are risking not getting him. Addign one WR, whether or not he would be the best available, doesn't really deepen the draft pool at all, so it is not a major consideration.

I'm a pretty big fan of D-Jax. So I'd be inclined to reaquire him.

But I can't really say one way or the other until I understand your draft a little better. What do you mean when you say you have the 2.05 pick? Is this the kind of league where in the first round (and perhaps 2nd or 3rd) teams are drafting their keeper picks? Or is it the kind of league where players named as keepers begin the season on your roster and, thus, in the first round everyone is basically drafting the other available free agents?

I'm a pretty big fan of D-Jax.  So I'd be inclined to reaquire him.

But I can't really say one way or the other until I understand your draft a little better.  What do you mean when you say you have the 2.05 pick?  Is this the kind of league where in the first round (and perhaps 2nd or 3rd) teams are drafting their keeper picks?  Or is it the kind of league where players named as keepers begin the season on your roster and, thus, in the first round everyone is basically drafting the other available free agents?

873550[/snapback]

From reading the original post, I believe all teams keep 5 players. The first two rounds have the prder predetermined, assuming it is by ordr of finish. After the two rounds have been drafted, they redraw for draft order for therest of the draft.

At this point he knows he has the 5th pick in the 2nd orund (possibly 5th in first also), and his slot in the 3rd round is unknown.

From reading the original post, I believe all teams keep 5 players. The first two rounds have the prder predetermined, assuming it is by ordr of finish. After the two rounds have been drafted, they redraw for draft order for therest of the draft.

At this point he knows he has the 5th pick in the 2nd orund (possibly 5th in first also), and his slot in the 3rd round is unknown.

873603[/snapback]

Exactly. Well, almost. Everyone keeps 5. After all keepers have been declared the draft begins. First two rounds are serpentine based on reverse order of previous year's finish. Due to a combination of that and a trade I am sitting at 1.01 and 2.05. DJax is not an option at 1.01. After the first two rounds we draw for draft position every two rounds(prior to the 3rd, 5th, 7th, etc..) and each pair of rounds is done serpentine. Theoretically, with three 3rd rounders it could be as good as 3.01, 3.02, 3.03 or as bad as 3.10, 3.11, 3.12 or of course any other combination of three. If I compose a trade in which I get his 2nd rounder I know exactly which pick I'm getting(2.06).

Exactly.  Well, almost.  Everyone keeps 5.  After all keepers have been declared the draft begins.  First two rounds are serpentine based on reverse order of previous year's finish.  Due to a combination of that and a trade I am sitting at 1.01 and 2.05.  DJax is not an option at 1.01.  After the first two rounds we draw for draft position every two rounds(prior to the 3rd, 5th, 7th, etc..) and each pair of rounds is done serpentine.  Theoretically, with three 3rd rounders it could be as good as 3.01, 3.02, 3.03 or as bad as 3.10, 3.11, 3.12 or of course any other combination of three.  If I compose a trade in which I get his 2nd rounder I know exactly which pick I'm getting(2.06).

874257[/snapback]

*If* you think D-Jax will realistically be available for you at 2.05 (which, if I understand you correctly, would be the equivilant of a 7.05 spot in an annual redraft league, after taking everyones previous 5 rounds of keepers into account) I think I'd try to reacquire D-Jax there if I thought I could get him. That's spectacular value and, since you aren't keeping any other WRs, he can easily serve as your #1 WR.

The only reason I WOULD do the trade is if I thought I could get two WRs (at your regular 2.05 spot and your newly acuired 2.06 spot) that would substantially out perform the combination of D-Jax (drafted at the 2.05 spot) and whoever you think will be available to you with your first 3rd rounder. Because if you aren't keeping any WRs with your first 5 picks, and you aren't spending your 1.01 on a WR, one thing is very clear: you absolutely must go WR-WR after that.

Option #1 is risky because you're gambling big that D-Jax will be there at 2.05. If his isn't, you just got hosed because the selection of remaining WRs available to you at 2.05 and 3.? won't be as good, relative to the 2.05 and 2.06 picks in Option #2. Not knowing where you'll draft in the 3rd makes Option #1 even more risky.

Option #2 is the safer route to go, but likely without as much upside compared to what D-jax has to offer. However, (if based on who you think is will be available) the duo you could pick up in Option #2 would produce more aggregate points, then it is the no brainer way to go. Less risk and more production is always the way to go.

So it sounds like you've got to forecast who will be available at 2.05, 2.06, and (conservatively speaking) as late as 3.10. You'll also have to estimate the likelihood that D-Jax will still be there at 2.05. Then perform your projections/estimates for those players, compare, and decide.