[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top 5 reasons you can't blame Modell for moving

CaptainHook

Modell moved the team 10 years ago and has been out of the league for two now.  You only seem to jump on my sack about this.  I don't believe anyone thinks old man Irsay was anything but a drunk momo feckwad.  If you're going to hang on my sack about me not liking him, finish it up and move on.

876429[/snapback]

I was just commenting on the fact you said Robert Irsay was "still a . . .", when in fact, he is long dead. When I posted this topic, I KNEW you would turn it into a Irsay slam-fest. And your anger against him has now made you mean. :D

:D

Guest THEbigred

The true #1: Modell is a dumbass POS who pissed away millions on losers like a washed up Andre Rison, etc etc and bailed himself out by moving to Baltimore.

Ironically, in a way, Modell and Baltimore were a perfect fit in that regard.....ie if the Baltimorons had spent the money on a new stadium back in 84 like they did for Modell later on, we'd still have the Baltimore Colts.

:D

1. Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, Gund Arena, Science Museum.  Cleveland politicians promised Modell a lot of things, but spent all their money elsewhere, while he was responsible for the upkeep on a crumbling stadium.

874443[/snapback]

I agree that the city and state screwed him. Why the hell would the city put up money for the R&R HOF (which alone would've bought the Brows a new stadium) and a freaking science museum before taking care of the Browns? Talk about a slap in the face. And didn't the company that put up the money for Jacobs Field also default on the payments in '95? I seem to remember talk about foreclosing the Jake that year until the city stepped in and bailed the Indians out. Again, another slap in the face.

That said, I don't see how the hell Modell got himself into such a dire financial position when he was packing that (very large) stadium every Sunday. He deserves some of the blame as well.

Anyway, we should all be glad that both Cleveland and Baltimore have football teams again.

I agree that the city and state screwed him.  Why the hell would the city put up money for the R&R HOF (which alone would've bought the Brows a new stadium) and a freaking science museum before taking care of the Browns?  Talk about a slap in the face.  And didn't the company that put up the money for Jacobs Field also default on the payments in '95?  I seem to remember talk about foreclosing the Jake that year until the city stepped in and bailed the Indians out.  Again, another slap in the face.

That said, I don't see how the hell Modell got himself into such a dire financial position when he was packing that (very large) stadium every Sunday.  He deserves some of the blame as well.

Anyway, we should all be glad that both Cleveland and Baltimore have football teams again.

881744[/snapback]

:D Holy crap, I just agreed w/Swerski. :D

While I do think he had reasons for moving, he could have easily sold the team (which he did anyway).  Or course, Irsay could have done the same.

Irsay had his 'reasons' also, but he too could have just sold the team. 

The NFL cares for nothing but money.  Indy was in a TV market that was empty, so not much stink was made internally about the move, especially since Irsay was already in Indy when most found out.  The stink about the Cleveland move was more about taking a team out of the Clevelend market and putting it into the crowded Washington/Baltimore/Philly area.  That, in my opinion, is why Cleveland was guarenteed a team, to keep NFL interest alive in a big TV market.  TV market is also why Jacksonville got an expansion team instead of Baltimore/St. Louis and why the NFL is STILL trying to force a team into Los Angeles.

874560[/snapback]

Try to move the Packers and see what happens. :D

You'd have to get a moving company from Minnesota or Illinois if you could even find the owners. We are all owners and don't care about money.

881744[/snapback]

Agreed.

Instead of expanding, to new cities, if Tagliabue would have given teams where they where deserved, most of this would not have happened. Out of the 5 expansion cities last go around, four of the five now have teams (Carolina, Jacksonville, St. Louis, Baltimore), and with Nashville getting a team that Memphis went for, the fifth is close enough for me (sorry Spain, same state/open tv area). Almost seems the LA Rams, Cleveland Browns and Houston Oilers could have stayed and the new Browns, Texans and whatever team they force to LA would all be in place now.

It almost seems that the Cleveland move was a big wake up for the NFL, the first move they actually didn't want to happen. Don't be suprised if the NFL tries to keep colors/names intact from now on.