[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top 5 reasons you can't blame Modell for moving

CaptainHook

Anybody catch that on ESPN Classic? I found it pretty interesting.

5. Belichick drove the fans and support away.

4. Al Davis and Robert Irsay had moved their teams for $$$.

3. Cleveland Indians were getting a lot of fan support and a new stadium.

2. Modell's finances. He was going broke in his stadium.

1. Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, Gund Arena, Science Museum. Cleveland politicians promised Modell a lot of things, but spent all their money elsewhere, while he was responsible for the upkeep on a crumbling stadium.

I wonder if that program changed the mind of a single person in Cleveland. . .

Anybody catch that on ESPN Classic?  I found it pretty interesting.

2. Modell's finances.  He was going broke in his stadium.

1. Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, Gund Arena, Science Museum.  Cleveland politicians promised Modell a lot of things, but spent all their money elsewhere, while he was responsible for the upkeep on a crumbling stadium.

874443[/snapback]

it has been running for awhile. they have done others about jordan, kobe, and others

1. Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, Gund Arena, Science Museum.  Cleveland politicians promised Modell a lot of things, but spent all their money elsewhere, while he was responsible for the upkeep on a crumbling stadium.

874443[/snapback]

Nope - I think they still hate his guts.

While I do think he had reasons for moving, he could have easily sold the team (which he did anyway). Or course, Irsay could have done the same.

Irsay had his 'reasons' also, but he too could have just sold the team.

The NFL cares for nothing but money. Indy was in a TV market that was empty, so not much stink was made internally about the move, especially since Irsay was already in Indy when most found out. The stink about the Cleveland move was more about taking a team out of the Clevelend market and putting it into the crowded Washington/Baltimore/Philly area. That, in my opinion, is why Cleveland was guarenteed a team, to keep NFL interest alive in a big TV market. TV market is also why Jacksonville got an expansion team instead of Baltimore/St. Louis and why the NFL is STILL trying to force a team into Los Angeles.

Was Irsay the one that moved his team on the night shift?    :D

874614[/snapback]

Yes.

What most people don't realize is that he didn't 'sneak' out of town, he ran for his life. The Maryland General Assembly had a vote in the next day or two that would allow the state to seize the team via eminent domain. He ran out of their jurisdiction to avoid that. I believe he was going anyway, but he ran out once he found out that was a possibility.

He's still a major slow momo fektard.

874443[/snapback]

5. Home attendance in 1995 averaged 64,000. Fans hated Belichick but still loved and supported the Browns.

4. So what?

3, 1. The Browns move was announced 2 days before the city voted for a tax increase to build the new Browns stadium. The old stadium was a mess but at least it was sized correctly. The Indians got theirs first because they were playing in a 80,000 seat monstrosity. The Cavs came next because they were playing 30 miles out of downtown.

2. So what?

Cleveland had and still has a lot of rampant Browns fans.  And that suggested that there was no support for the Browns. :D

875066[/snapback]

I thought Modell claimed the city (as in gov't) didnt' support him, not the fans. My take was that the Indians, Cavs and R&R HOF getting buildings first was taken personal. Remember, he did run the stadium for the city at a profit (I believe) and was denied an attempt to buy the building and run it himself.

Also, I thought (and may be very wrong) that the planned vote had already failed and/or was expected to fail again.

Again, I'm doing this from memory of the Baltimore new coverage from the time (10 years now). In a perfect world, no team would ever move, unless it was out of Atlanta :D .

I thought Modell claimed the city (as in gov't) didnt' support him, not the fans.  My take was that the Indians, Cavs and R&R HOF getting buildings first was taken personal.  Remember, he did run the stadium for the city at a profit (I believe) and was denied an attempt to buy the building and run it himself.

875168[/snapback]

If he took it personal, so be it. Anybody who doesn't realize the stadium was fair for football & miserable for baseball isn't thinking straight.

Also, I thought (and may be very wrong) that the planned vote had already failed and/or was expected to fail again. 

875168[/snapback]

Nope, that's inaccurate. AP news story 11/95

Reasons don't matter...we Brownie fans will NEVER forgive him. :D

875286[/snapback]

I wouldn't expect you to or fault you for not doing so. Robert Irsay will always be hated in Baltimore for the same reasons. I'm sure Bud Adams is not liked in Houston and Georgia Fontier has a few people in Los Angeles who aren't fond of her. I don't know of anyone who likes Bidwell.

While I do think he had reasons for moving, he could have easily sold the team (which he did anyway).

874560[/snapback]

According to the piece, Modell could only have broken even by selling the team.

These don't have a danm thing to do with Modell - well, aside from painting him as a jealous and/or greedy no-good sumbitch.

874443[/snapback]

Both #2 and the bold part of #1 were due to Modell's own ineptitude; so essentially you CAN blame Modell.

Like the show, but with Modell they're really pushing it as Devil's Advocate; while I think you can understand why Modell moved the team, I think the overall situation makes Modell's actions pretty indefensible.

I don't know Modell, and I don't care to know him. I think he is a moron. Even before even thinking about a move, the dude went broke. How the heck does that happen!? Maybe he was a good business man and maybe he was not.

He is now no longer officially associated with the NFL and I say - Siyanara!

I doubt that he was the only reason that the team moved from Cleveland. I am sure crooked politicians had their role in some way or another, I just don't care to read about it.

Modell, Irsay, Bidwell, Davis, etc. the list goes on - they are all bad for football.

He's been dead 6 years now.  Let it go.

875876[/snapback]

Modell moved the team 10 years ago and has been out of the league for two now. You only seem to jump on my sack about this. I don't believe anyone thinks old man Irsay was anything but a drunk momo feckwad. If you're going to hang on my sack about me not liking him, finish it up and move on.

I don't know Modell, and I don't care to know him.  I think he is a moron.  Even before even thinking about a move, the dude went broke.  How the heck does that happen!?  Maybe he was a good business man and maybe he was not.

He is now no longer officially associated with the NFL and I say - Siyanara!

I doubt that he was the only reason that the team moved from Cleveland.  I am sure crooked politicians had their role in some way or another, I just don't care to read about it.

Modell, Irsay, Bidwell, Davis, etc. the list goes on - they are all bad for football.

876190[/snapback]

Agreed, except at the last minute, Modell arranged to keep 1% of the team. Not enough to have influence, but enough to still be 'part' of the NFL. He did get $600 million after the move, wonder what he would have got before the move.