[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft setup advice

nmack29

I have a 10 team league that includes friends from all over. There is not a time that we can all set aside for a draft.

I have proposed taking the results of another draft - either live from another league, or a mock draft. I would draw for draft position and then each person would in turn draft an entire team.

Background - about half of us have been in a league together for the past 5 years. 4 guys have moved out of town and 1 out of state. The rest are local friends that wanted in as people left.

Just curious as to what you all think of this.

Edited by nmack29

In the past when someone couldn't attend we either had an outside person fill in, or one of us drafted for them.

This won't work because I don't think that 3-5 people want to draft a team that they aren't going to play.

I am not looking for the obvious reply of - start a new league with all local people. I know that is the easy way out - I just want opinions on the concept of drafting an entire stocked team.

Personally, I'd not want to draft a pre-stocked team. Why can't you just do a traditional "slow draft" on (say) MFL, with each owner logging in & making his/her picks each round at whatever time of day is convenient? It would take a few days, and is obviously not the same as a face 2 face draft, but gives everyone the opportunity to build his own team.

I'm in a league where we got owners all over too. Last year a hurricane was aiming for our draft weekend and site. We did a slow draft online. That's probably your best bet. Find a site, like MFL, that does that.

Owners can rank players for their next pick too. But if your buddies are like me, you got to make your own pick when it's your turn.

I've been in a league for the last several years with a bunch of buddies from college. We REALLY have guys all over: 2 in Thailand, 1 in Cambodia, 1 in Germany and 1 in India. The way we do it is we set a draft time and the seven of us local guys get together at my house and we log onto Yahoo Messenger as do the 5 other international guys. We are all online at the same time, someone works the computer and every pick gets sent over Messenger. We keep a draft board and the commishinor ends up entering all the picks by hand. It's the only method where we feel like we are all together...we get to BS alot (always a plus) and we get the draft done in a couple of hours. It's worked for us very well (4 years now) and it's a whole lot better than submitting a list or having a computer pick your roster.

Just a suggestion.

I've been in a league for the last several years with a bunch of buddies from college.  We REALLY have guys all over:  2 in Thailand, 1 in Cambodia, 1 in Germany and 1 in India.  The way we do it is we set a draft time and the seven of us local guys get together at my house and we log onto Yahoo Messenger as do the 5 other international guys.  We are all online at the same time, someone works the computer and every pick gets sent over Messenger.  We keep a draft board and the commishinor ends up entering all the picks by hand.  It's the only method where we feel like we are all together...we get to BS alot (always a plus) and we get the draft done in a couple of hours.  It's worked for us very well (4 years now) and it's a whole lot better than submitting a list or having a computer pick your roster.

Just a suggestion.

892298[/snapback]

I've done this before and it works pretty good. Also, ts has some good advice also.

Another suggestion: Set up mfl for an online draft. Get the local guys together like you normally would. Tell the out of towners to get online at the mfl site. As you guys pick, just enter the picks online. That way the out of towners can see what's being picked, and when their turn comes they just pick online and you guys can see what they have done.