[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

USC Billboard

neilfish2

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it up yet.  Id love the recruits to see what a myth the legacy of SC really is.

1301004[/snapback]

Not up yet, but my understanding is that they have a particular board under contract. However, the design was changed, due to Trademark issues. Not going to be as good.

Our local paper in New Orleans had a story about the billboards, there is also a person from the S.C. area that going to erect a billboard around the Baton Rouge area. It going to talk about all the All-Americans that come from USC, the 2 National Championships, how many of there players made it to the Pros., ETC. and the biggest line says : "ONE PETE".

Edited by neilfish2

Our local paper in New Orleans had a story about the billboards, there is also a person from the S.C. area that going to erect a billboard around the Baton Rouge area.  It going to talk about all the All-Americans that come from USC, the 2 National Championships, how many of there players made it to the Pros., ETC.  and the biggest line says : "ONE PETE".

1302797[/snapback]

Hard to argue that last point - "there can be only ONE"! He just did it again in recruiting, and he is the main reason we will keep going to BCS bowls more often than not. Maybe your Tigers can make it back to a BCS bowl someday.

Jealousy is ugly, and it eats at the soul. You may have to see a doctor about that....

Our local paper in New Orleans had a story about the billboards, there is also a person from the S.C. area that going to erect a billboard around the Baton Rouge area.  It going to talk about all the All-Americans that come from USC, the 2 National Championships, how many of there players made it to the Pros., ETC.  and the biggest line says : "ONE PETE".

1302797[/snapback]

I guess the one difference to me is that 1,000 people paid money to put the one board up, and one guy is paying to put the other board up.

I never much liked hypocrisy either.  Jealousy might eat at your soul, but hypocrisy defines it.

1304764[/snapback]

Methinks I'm being accused of something here; but I have no clue on what basis...

Methinks I'm being accused of something here; but I have no clue on what basis...

1304973[/snapback]

The comment was not directed at you personally. It was a general comment towards USC (and others). I will try to be brief, but I have data and can discuss this in more detail.

The BCS was created by the major conferences and ND.

The stated purpose of the BCS is to produce a consensus National Champion.

The unstated purpose of the BCS is to generate more revenue, without giving up control.

One of the reasons that the BCS has been able to generate more revenue is that it taps into the large portion of fans what want a consensus National Champion and/or a playoff.

So in part what USC (and others) are saying is that we like the additional revenue we get from dangling a faux playoff in front off you, but we have no problem with working the benefits of the AP championship for our own game, even though it goes against the stated purpose of the BCS. I.E. we want our cake, and we want to eat it too.

The comment was not directed at you personally.  It was a general comment towards USC (and others).  I will try to be brief, but I have data and can discuss this in more detail.

The BCS was created by the major conferences and ND.

The stated purpose of the BCS is to produce a consensus National Champion.

The unstated purpose of the BCS is to generate more revenue, without giving up control.

One of the reasons that the BCS has been able to generate more revenue is that it taps into the large portion of fans what want a consensus National Champion and/or a playoff.

So in part what USC (and others) are saying is that we like the additional revenue we get from dangling a faux playoff in front off you, but we have no problem with working the benefits of the AP championship for our own game, even though it goes against the stated purpose of the BCS.  I.E. we want our cake, and we want to eat it too.

1305085[/snapback]

You're absolutely right on all accounts here. However... as I stated, and am correct, the NCAA still recognizes them as 2003 National Champions, along with LSU. And furthermore, if this was Texas, I'm fairly certain your stance on not recgonizing your own teams accomplishment, that you would probably be in the minority.

Also, once again, this is all just a bunch of LSU fans that are mad because the MEDIA has completely forgot about the fact that they had the BCS title that year. To me, that is also hypocrisy, because they shouldn't care what the media thinks, because after all, it was the media that gave the nod to USC that year. So in other words, they want to be recognized by the media as the undisputed champion, BUT, they don't want the media to recognize national champions? My whole point, is the NCAA recognizes USC as National Champions in 2003.

You're absolutely right on all accounts here. However... as I stated, and am correct, the NCAA still recognizes them as 2003 National Champions, along with LSU. And furthermore, if this was Texas, I'm fairly certain your stance on not recgonizing your own teams accomplishment, that you would probably be in the minority.

Also, once again, this is all just a bunch of LSU fans that are mad because the MEDIA has completely forgot about the fact that they had the BCS title that year. To me, that is also hypocrisy, because they shouldn't care what the media thinks, because after all, it was the media that gave the nod to USC that year. So in other words, they want to be recognized by the media as the undisputed champion, BUT, they don't want the media to recognize national champions? My whole point, is the NCAA recognizes USC as National Champions in 2003.

1305696[/snapback]

And to complete your last statement. The NCAA and the BCS recognize LSU as its National Champs in 2003.

.. as I stated, and am correct, the NCAA still recognizes them as 2003 National Champions, along with LSU

I understand that you believe that you are correct, and that we are arguing a very fine point. To me the above statement implies that the NCAA recognizes USC and LSU for the same thing. I do not believe that is correct. I believe that if you look at what the NCAA writes, they are very careful in the words they use. They do not write about the BCS winner the same way as they write about the AP winner. Just as they do not write about the AP winner, the same as they write about other poll winners, in the years prior to the BCS.

Also, once again, this is all just a bunch of LSU fans that are mad because the MEDIA has completely forgot about the fact that they had the BCS title that year.

I cannot tell you for a fact everyone that is involved, and why they are involved. However, I can tell you this for a fact. Some of the people involved are not LSU fans. There are fans of several other schools involved, and for that matter, there are some LSU fans that do not support it. I also know for a fact that some people’s involvement has nothing to do with anyone recognizing LSU as the undisputed champion in 2003, but rather the media’s attempt at revisionist history, because it was convenient. The issue would never have come up, if the national media in December 2005 had referred to USC as co-national champions in 2003 or as AP champions in 2003. The issue came up because the National media wanted to portray USC in a way that was not based in facts, but rather in a way that was easy and made for good press.

And furthermore, if this was Texas, I'm fairly certain your stance on not recgonizing your own teams accomplishment, that you would probably be in the minority.

This is a very interesting question, and I wish that there was a way to answer it. However, I have never based my opinion on what is right or wrong, on what the majority opinion was.

im not saying you should base your opinion on anything, but I just find it tough to call USC FANS hypocreits for saying there favorite team won the national championship in 2003. Particularly because of the fact that USC was #1 in both polls. I would see the outcry if LSU or Oklahoma was #1 in the AP poll going into the bowls, and then the media just wanted some attention, and make USC #1, but that is far from what happened. Both coaches, and media alike felt USC was the #1 team in the nation. If the shoe was on Texas' foot, as an outsider, I would see Texas' fans outcry as well. Same with any other team. I just don't see what the big deal is to begin with. From a fans standpoint, or this fan anyway, with the way the current system is now, I like the fact that there is an entity that provides some sort of checks and balances for the BCS, because lets face it, they need it.

I completely see where your coming from if the school administration recgonizes it, yes maybe they are hypocreits, I see that. No different than Big 12 administrator complaining that the Big Ten doesn't have a conference championship, when in reality the only reason conference championships exist is because they are cash cows. It's all about teh money, and I think even you can agree with me on that. They are perfectly willing to accept the big pay out for having a championship game, but don't like the fact that the ramifications of it means an extra possible loss late in the season. In my opinion, you sign the contract, then you're willing to accept the consequences. And it isn't the Big Tens fault, they have 11 teams, the NCAA requires 12 to have a championship. Notre Dame refuses to join, and not many schools in the region meet the high academic standards required to be in the Big Ten, ask Missouri. And I would also like to put to bed the myth that because the Big Ten has co-championships, that somehow that means we get 2 automatic bids to BCS games. That is untrue. The Big ten gets 1 automatic bid just like any other conference, so again I ask... what is the big deal?

I also agree that, the NCAA is very cautious about the national championship situation, but 30-40 years from now, ESPN will come out with another almanac for college football, and it will more than likely show both LSU and USC as 2003 National Champions, and the record book means a lot more than a trophy. The record book represents your stamp on history.

NCAA CHAMPS, DON'T CARE WHAT THE MEDIA SAYS:

2003 LSU

2004 USC

2005 TEXAS

NUF SAID.... :D

1306925[/snapback]

exactly and SC can realize its all over. What 1 yr Dynasty they had is gone, and Texas just beat them for the Championship. A soft Big 12 school. :D

• 3 weeks later...
The billboard has made it up...check it out....onepeat.com

Check out the intro also, its pretty good :D

1344245[/snapback]

I officially eat my words. I thought the City of LA would put a nix on this. Believe me, I am NOT an SC fan. In fact, I can't stand them. I honestly thought that the powers that be in the government of the city - considering the fact that 75% of the real estate powers in SoCal are SC grads - would put the clamps down on this and disallow it.

Hilarious.

:D

I officially eat my words.  I thought the City of LA would put a nix on this.  Believe me, I am NOT an SC fan.  In fact, I can't stand them.  I honestly thought that the powers that be in the government of the city - considering the fact that 75% of the real estate powers in SoCal are SC grads - would put the clamps down on this and disallow it.

Hilarious.

1344416[/snapback]

Myth??  :D Best College Football Program in the land!! I love the jealousy ..... just love it!!  :D

1344610[/snapback]

I really don't think it is jealousy. The USC program is one of the if not the best program in the country right now. This whole thing is to take stabs at the media, forgetting that LSU was the national champs of 2003 not USC. How could USC be a three time champ, when their only national championship was in 2004.

I really don't think it is jealousy.  The USC program is one of the if not the best program in the country right now. This whole thing is to take stabs at the media, forgetting that LSU was the national champs of 2003 not USC.  How could USC be a three time champ, when their only national championship was in 2004.

1344633[/snapback]

Takes a stab at the media with the media. But the record book still will say a split national championship in 2003, long after that billboard is torn down.

Really who the Oprah cares about 2003 anymore, or 2000 unless its your school and your fans. To be honest, I could give a rats ass about SC, at this point. They are not the Champs, OU is not the Champs. TEXAS, OUR TEXAS, OH HAIL THE MIGHTY STATE, TEXAS OUR TEXAS, SO WONDERFUL AND GREAT... is, as painful as that is to say. But like SC, TEXAS, OUR TEXAS, OH HAIL THE MIGHTY STATE, TEXAS OUR TEXAS, SO WONDERFUL AND GREAT... will be in for a long year replacing their leader, Vince Young. Hopefully OU is far enough along to take advantage of what texas took advantage of last yr. A team with little on the field direction, from their QB position, until late in the yr.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan