[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jeff Fisher's Opinion

Menudo

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His 1st whiff came while Jackson was being interfered with, when it came out the penalty was called on Darrell Jackson. or so it seemed to me.

1312438[/snapback]

Either that or he was calling penalty on Jackson's upper arm for interfering with the DB's grasping hand :D

I realize I'm probably REALLY late with my opinion, but here it is anyway:

1. The OPI call should have been ruled incidental contact. DJack didn't push off; both he and Hope were just playing paddy-cake. Both players were using their hands and Hope wasn't even looking at the ball. THAT'S why Jackson got separation -- because Hope didn't know where the ball was.

2. It looked to me that, while in the air, Ben got the slightest tip of the ball over the slightest front edge of the goal line. The call on the field wood have been upheld either way, certainly. I just don't think that play is an example of poor officiating. It's a classic example of as close as a play can possibly get without indisputable evidence either way. BUT this call didn't matter, since they would have scored on 4th down anyway. The QB sneak to get an inch -- it's as close to a 100% play as there is in football.

3. The Locklear Hold was VEEERRY borderline. Was it technically holding? Sure. But if it had gone uncalled, the "held" defender wouldn't have even blinked an eye. Honestly, that's sometimes the only way to determine real holding in the NFL. If the defender is being held BEYOND what he's used to, he'll go nuts. That play just shouldn't have been called.

4. Hasselbeck's block/tackle...huh? I have no idea why he was called for a penalty on that play and no one has explained it to me. Might have been the worst call of the game, considering a turnover PLUS good field position is almost always a team-killer.

5. The no-call on Stevens's catch and fumble was horrendous. He fumbled it FORWARD, and I can't say who would have recovered the ball, so I don't know which team would have benefited. Still, a relatively easy call to make and they whiffed. Plus, aren't officials ENCOURAGED to keep their whistles out of their mouths in a possible fumble situation? Friggin' morons.

Bottom line: the SB officiating was no better than in any other game, the refs had too much impact on the game, and, consequently, we'll never know who the better team was. That, my fellow football fans, is sad.

1311617[/snapback]

Excellent analysis- :D You cheeseheads know the game. Exaclty right- it was not an even playing field and the refs had to much impact on the flow, momentum, outcome of the game. Judgement calls such as holding, PI should even out, and not be so one-sided and come at such crucial times in the football game. Pitt has ZERO holding calls?? Ridicuous. A well officiated game goes unnoticed, they let the players decide the outcome. Period.

IMO, the calls that weren't made are just as important to the overall lack of this game passing the smell test. We all know that each and every play of a game could have a flag thrown for something, yet many do not. There will not truly be a mistake free game from either the standpoint of the players on the field or the refs. We are human, after all. HOWEVER, when the totality of the penalty calling favors one team over another, then we have a problem.

Are we to believe that Pittsburgh NEVER committed a holding penalty in that game? Are we to disbelieve was it visible to our eyes when we see Pittsburgh jump offsides repeatedly yet never have it called against them? It doesn't pass the smell test to me. Add to it that incomprehensible call on Hasselbeck for blocking below the waist and you get a big, huh? :D

This is what I'd like to see addressed so that I can have some semblance of reassurance that there are competent officials on the field.

1311600[/snapback]

Well put, if you remember, the play after the holding call was Shawn running to his left. He had a good gian and Porter grabbed the collar of his shoulder pads and pulled him down taking out his legs in the process, IMO I thought that was a horse collar infraction.....15 yds automatic first down.... maybe the INT thrown by hassel never happens...who knows?????? The Steelers most assuredly had the 12 man that night!!!!!

Edited by LiL10(s)ArEaJoKe

• 2 years later...