[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pack will look at Brian Williams

Outshined

Nothing other than a little blurb:

Word out of Green Bay is that the Packers are expecting to make an aggressive early pitch at Brian Williams when free agency begins. VU has been told that there have been no talks whatsoever between the Vikings and Williams’ agent since the end of the season.

http://vikings.scout.com/2/500825.html

He is a good corner and will be starting somewhere. He filled admirably for Smoot at the end of the year. He isn't a total shutdown corner, but he has the skills be successful.

I know that Ahmad Carroll appeared to be driving the defensive coaches nuts last year, and I'm sure his recent legal troubles (though I doubt anything more than fines and maybe probation will come out of them) did little to increase his standing in the organization.

The fact that Thompson is making a move for anyone is shocking. Who was the last decent FA we picked up? Grady Jackson?

1332529[/snapback]

Grady was a waiver pickup, IIRC. So, aside from him, the last decent free agent.... :D .... :D Doug Pederson?

The way Smoot played at times last year (especially against Steve Smith) I'd rather have Brian Williams or even Dan Rather or Tom Brokaw in there.

1332591[/snapback]

Good call, Cap'n. Smoot is one of the most shat-talkin-but-not-backin-it-up players in the league. Overrated in Wash, and proved it when he came here. Cant stand these DBs who never stop running their mouth despite being torched on every other play. Shut the f*ck up and cover someone!!!!

On the positive, I do hear he very skilled in the use of double-ended sex toys, though. So he's got that goin for him...which is nice. :D

Good call, Cap'n. Smoot is one of the most shat-talkin-but-not-backin-it-up players in the league. Overrated in Wash, and proved it when he came here. Cant stand these DBs who never stop running their mouth despite being torched on every other play. Shut the f*ck up and cover someone!!!!

1332594[/snapback]

Paging Ahmad Carroll, Ahmad Carroll, are you reading this!!!

On the positive, I do hear he very skilled in the use of double-ended sex toys, though. So he's got that goin for him...which is nice.  :D

1332594[/snapback]

And he has been talking already saying that next year he will be dominant...

Difficult to pick up free agents when you are strapped for cash.

1332713[/snapback]

Well I'm hoping that the new Favre-less era is coming sooner than later, so we can easily be $20 million+ under the cap.

Then just go aggressive on defense in the draft and FA, try to stick to what Bates started, resign Green, and hope the rest of the offense heals itself. Easy enough, right?

I was surprised by this!

Vikings slap 'transition' tag on cornerback Williams

Team would have to match any offer sheet he signs, or allow him to leave.

Kevin Seifert and Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

Last update: February 23, 2006 – 1:36 PM

Printer friendly E-mail this story

Vikings cornerback Brian Williams

The Vikings placed their transition player tag on cornerback Brian Williams today, giving them the ability to match any offer he might receive on the free agent market. But Williams does not want to return to Minnesota, according to his agent, and he would be unhappy if the Vikings hold him back .

"[Williams] would like to move on," agent Jordan Feagan said this morning. "He's expressed to them that he would rather not go back."

Williams' relationship with the team has been strained since the Vikings replaced him in the starting lineup last offseason with free agent Fred Smoot. Williams skipped the team's offseason workout program and assumsed he was on his way out even after winning back his starting job at the end of the 2005 season.

But Thursday's move surprised both Williams and Feagan because the Vikings had initiated no long-term contract discussions this offseason.

"I'm not surprised that they would like to keep him because he's a good football player," Feagan said. "But I was caught off guard in that I had no indication that they were going to do it."

Williams' contract expires next week and he is eligible for unrestricted free agency. By making him their transition player, the Vikings in essence offered him a one-year, $4.774 million guaranteed contract that he can sign at any time. That figure is the average of the 10 highest-paid cornerbacks in the NFL last season.

But Williams almost certainly will receive heavy interest on the free agent market after he deposed starter Fred Smoot midway through the 2005 season. The Vikings would then be faced with a decision to match any offer sheet Williams signs or allow him to move on. They would receive no compensation if he leaves.

Today is the deadline for NFL teams to place transition or franchise tags on players. The Vikings decided against franchising Williams because it is unlikely any team would agree to give them two first-round picks in order to sign Williams, as they would be required to do under the franchise definition.

Neither Williams nor team officials were immediately available for comment.