[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mario Williams

budlitebrad

Now that Brees is a Saint, all I've been hearing is that they will go after Mario in the draft. Doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm a Cheesehead looking out for the team and I tend to have a man-crush according to my brother. I could see the Jets take him if Abraham is gone, but they could want a QB.

Anyone hear anything different? :D

Edited by budlitebrad

Now that Brees is a Saint, all I've been hearing is that they will go after Mario in the draft. Doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm a Cheesehead looking out for the team and I tend to have a man-crush according to my brother. I could see the Jets take him if Abraham is gone, but they could want a QB.

Anyone hear anything different?  :D

1369496[/snapback]

I'd imagine D Ferguson if they don't trade down...

I think they will try and trade down with the Jets. I hope they do.

If not they have Grant and Will Smith, 2 top defensive ends, so I agree with Avernus(they take Ferguson) or they could take Hawk.

John Clayton just said he heard the Saints want Mario. We may get Hawk.

1369707[/snapback]

Clayton also flat out stated that Culpepper would be traded before free agency started and also said that Brees was going to sign with Miami. His credibility is nil right about now ...

Clayton also flat out stated that Culpepper would be traded before free agency started and also said that Brees was going to sign with Miami.  His credibility is nil right about now ...

1369711[/snapback]

he's usually right around the ballpark and pretty accurate, though...

Miami would have got Brees if the Raiders, titans and some other team weren't scared off by the high price of Culpepper and traded for him...

Clayton also flat out stated that Culpepper would be traded before free agency started and also said that Brees was going to sign with Miami.  His credibility is nil right about now ...

1369711[/snapback]

Those were guesses. He said people told him such and such so I don't think he is lying. They could be BS'ing him to hide their true intentions, but I don't see why. Frankly I would think they would want Brickashaw or Hawk. Why a DE?

Guest ksu70

I just watched a piece on ESPN witha guy from New Orleans (either the color guy or a news reporter) who says the buzz is all about Mario Williams. He did note that if they took him it would be the fifth DE they have taken in the first round in the last seven years and it has not really panned out. The guy liked Hawk.

He did note that if they took him it would be the fifth DE they have taken in the first round in the last seven years and it has not really panned out. The guy liked Hawk.

Sounds like the Lionesses recievers. :D

I just watched Sportscenter, Cold Pizza, and Total Access and all of them alluded to the Saints taking Williams. There's just no way. No team should be happier with their two starting DEs than New Orleans. Plus, they have so many other needs elsewhere that they don't even have the luxury of taking the best player available -- assuming they believe Williams is "better" than Ferguson or Hawk (which is definitely debatable).

If the old coaching staff were still in place, MAYBE you could argue the team prefers to rotate 3 solid DEs, but that's not the case. It's just a silly notion. Would they keep Williams in the game for all 3 downs, but then platoon their other first-round DEs? It's not a very worthwile draft strategy.

They should stay put and draft Ferguson. With him and Jammal Brown, their O-line would be solidified for a decade. I think Hawk would be an excellent fit there, too, but I just can't see paying a rookie LB a signing bonus in the high teens. :D

Ferguson is the smart move...Mario and Hawk are the greedy moves...

can't go wrong with any of these guys, but Brees will not fare too well without an OL..

1370736[/snapback]

Agreed.

But lets be honest... Their LB's are just so terrible, Hawk could imedietly turn it around.

If I were the Saints, I'd go Hawk. The gaping hole at Linebacker is just too big to ignore.

Edited by kpholmes

...  He did note that if they took him it would be the fifth DE they have taken in the first round in the last seven years and it has not really panned out. 

1370069[/snapback]

Not even close to being true (in either respect - the numbers or the players "not really panning out"):

05 - Jamaal Brown, OT

04 - Will Smith, DE

03 - Jonathon Sullivan, DT

02 - Donte Stallworth, WR and Charles Grant, DE

01 - Deuce McAllister, RB

00 - no first round pick, took Darren Howard, DE with 2nd round pick

99 - Ricky Williams, RB

98 - Kyle Turley, OT

Ferguson is the smart move...Mario and Hawk are the greedy moves...

can't go wrong with any of these guys, but Brees will not fare too well without an OL..

1370736[/snapback]

What is your insistence on posting about the Saints, a team you obviously have little to no true knowledge of ? Hawk a "greedy" move ? LB is the most urgent need this team has. Ferguson's a great talent, and they may end up taking him, but with Gandy and Brown, the OT spots are not a glaring need. Holy heck man, do you just like to hear yourself talk ? :D