[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Julius Jones - RB - Dallas Cowboys

Big Score 1

Cowboys | Parcells says Barber will have expanded role

Thu, 11 May 2006 14:57:20 -0700

Nick Eatman, of DallasCowboys.com, reports Dallas Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells has said RB Marion Barber III should receive an expanded role in the offense in 2006 and spoke very highly of the second-year player. "I like Barber a lot," Parcells said. "He doesn't have great speed but he's a very, very good blocker. He's a very, very good receiver and he has very good vision as a runner. He's elusive in the hole."

You hear that swirling sound?

That's Julius Jones fantasy value going down the toilet.

A little early to decalre Julius done but I've never been his biggest fan.

1463501[/snapback]

He was pretty low before because of injuries and the threat of Barber, now he wil go a little lower.

You hear that swirling sound?

That's Julius Jones fantasy value going down the toilet.

1463495[/snapback]

Sounds like Barber has the same talent he did his rookie year and will have similar production.

You wanna know who this hurts? It's not J.J. He already had a bad season last year.

It's Laurence Maroney. He has more speed than Barber, but none of the intangibles. I said it before, I'll say it again. Maroney is a stiff.

Edited by General Itals

Sounds like Barber has the same talent he did his rookie year and will have similar production. 

You wanna know who this hurts?  It's not J.J.  He already had a bad season last year. 

It's Laurence Maroney.  He has more speed than Barber, but none of the intangibles.  I said it before, I'll say it again.  Maroney is a stiff.

1463558[/snapback]

Maroney got drafted by NE. Wow that is confusing are you takling about. Just say no.

PS: The language filter here is actually starting to become entertaining!

Edited by Rovers

You wanna know who this hurts?  It's not J.J.  He already had a bad season last year. 

It's Laurence Maroney.  He has more speed than Barber, but none of the intangibles.  I said it before, I'll say it again.  Maroney is a stiff.

1463558[/snapback]

What the hell?

How does Barber's increased role in Dallas, affect Maroney in N.E.?

Had one too many :D tonight?

Maroney got drafted by NE. Wow that is confusing are you takling about. Just say no.

PS: The language filter here is actually starting to become entertaining!

1463575[/snapback]

What the hell?

Had one too many  :D tonight?

1463585[/snapback]

I believe what the General is saying is that Barber and Maroney split time at Minnesota and Maroney couldnt beat out Barber there, so he will not be as prodcutive as Barber. At least thats the best I could come up with. :D

I believe what the General is saying is that Barber and Maroney split time at Minnesota and Maroney couldnt beat out Barber there, so he will not be as prodcutive as Barber.  At least thats the best I could come up with.  :D

1463660[/snapback]

Ok, I'll go with that.

That is a little misleading as news.

Here is the full article they culled from

RB Position Looks Same, But Still Questioned

Nick Eatman - Email

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

May 10, 2006 6:28 PM

IRVING, Texas - Running back has not been touched this off-season.

The Cowboys didn't draft one. They didn't sign any free-agent backs. And they didn't even sign any rookie free agents.

Now they did invite a rather highly-touted college back to mini-camp, but he left Valley Ranch Monday without signing a contract.

So the Cowboys still have the same three backs on the roster they had to finish last season - Julius Jones, Marion Barber and Tyson Thompson. The Cowboys will also return Keylon Kincade, who spent the last two years on the team's practice squad. And although former South Carolina back Demetrius Summers turned some heads during the three-day mini-camp, the Cowboys opted not to sign him, but will likely keep a close eye on him over the next month or so.

So while the position has virtually gone untouched, why does it seem like it's still such a hot topic?

Well, because it is the running back position. And next to quarterback, it will always attract much attention.

So despite the Cowboys expected to make no changes at the position, questions still persist for some reason, and Parcells even fielded a few last weekend.

For starters, he squashed the notion the Cowboys were trying to trade Jones on draft day, despite some internet reports the club had a serious interest in University of Minnesota running back Laurence Maroney, who eventually went to the Patriots with the 21st pick. 

"No, we were not trying to trade him," Parcells said of Jones, who is entering his third season with the Cowboys.

But while Jones has basically been the featured back since his arrival two years ago, he has yet to avoid the injury bug, which has cost him 11 games in two years.

While Parcells admitted there is some existing concern over Jones' durability, his doubts are somewhat eased by his running back's work ethic. 

"I would be concerned if I didn't see him working every day at a high level," Parcells said of Jones. "I think he has something to prove himself, as well. But I do see that, so I'm not as concerned about him. Durability is a big thing in the running back position. He had a little tough luck a couple of times, but I think things will get better for him. I do think that."

That Jones missed three full games and parts of others in 2004 because of a high-ankle sprain seemed to be even more frustrating than the broken shoulder blade that cost him seven starts his rookie season.

The expectations were much higher last year, especially after he returned from that shoulder injury in 2004 to rush for 803 yards in the final seven games - exploding for 198 yards and three scores in a Monday night comeback win in Seattle, then 150 and two touchdowns against Chicago on Thanksgiving Day and another 149 yards in a season-finale loss to the Giants.

But when 2005 arrived, Jones took a while to get in gear. He didn't have a breakout game during the first month of the season, and then suffered the ankle injury against the Eagles on Oct. 9. The setback cost him three games, but not until early December did Jones regain his lead-back status from Barber, who filled in nicely as a rookie.

Then Jones reminded everyone of his rookie season during the Christmas Eve win at Carolina, rushing for 194 yards and two touchdowns. While that was his one, and only, 100-yard game of the season, it still ranked as the fourth-highest single-game total in club history.

Jones now has the club's third- and fourth-best rushing games, behind only Emmitt Smith (237) and Tony Dorsett (206).

But Parcells is looking for more than just a big game. He's looking for Jones to play all 16 games.

"Julius is, I think, a good back," Parcells said. "He's had a little bit of a durability problem. And, as you know, if they can't stay out there, like the Giants have Tiki (Barber) - he never goes off the field. He's really an amazing guy and has had a wonderful run here with the Giants.

"But those are the kind of guys you look for, like Tiki, like Ottis Anderson, guys that can stay out there. And I think Julius still has that to answer just a little bit but he's working very hard and he's very competitive and hopefully the combination of (Jones and Marion Barber) will be good enough."

While Parcells is obviously hoping Jones can stay injury-free this year, the presence of Barber certainly has to ease any concerns.

He drafted Barber in the fourth round last year and immediately raved about his readiness to play, despite being a rookie. Now, as Barber enters his second season, it's clear Parcells doesn't see many weaknesses in his game.

"I like Barber a lot," Parcells said. "He doesn't have great speed but he's a very, very good blocker. He's a very, very good receiver and he has very good vision as a runner. He's elusive in the whole. He's just not a breakaway guy. And if you look at the stats for NFL rookie backs last year, he was just a part-time player. He didn't really play anywhere near the majority of the time and he was still fifth in yards total (538) for rookies. So I think his role will be expanded."

Expanded from a part-time player?

Sounds like Barber might get a shot to at least compete with Jones for a starting job.(his opinion) If anything, with Barber's ability to block and catch the ball out of the backfield, it sounds like they might have a true third-down back on their hands. (more reasonable opinion)

And the Cowboys surely won't be forgetting about Thompson, last year's training-camp surprise who sparkled at times during regular season, where he broke franchise kick-off return records, with his 57 returns and 1,399 return yards.

The only thing Thompson didn't break was a kickoff return longer than 49 yards. And while he might have some competition in that department from LSU rookie Skyler Green, expect the Cowboys to try to utilize Thompson and his blazing speed more on offense this year.

In a game against the Chiefs last December, the Cowboys lined up Thompson as a wide receiver late in the fourth quarter, trying to use his speed as a decoy. Maybe this year he might be more of an offensive weapon as well.

As for Kincade, he has an uphill battle, seeing he has no more eligibility remaining on the practice squad. But Parcells obviously likes him enough to keep him around for another training-camp look.

But it certainly won't be easy for him, or any other back to supplant the current top three.

I would not anoint Barber the starter quite yet. He should end up as a third down back as Parcells alluded to with "expanding" (parcells has used two back systems before - think Richie Anderson). As Parcels also said, Barber lacks speed which Jones has. I do think you will see them both this year but I still see JJ as the starter. He'll just lose some action to Barber.

That is a little misleading as news.

Here is the full article they culled from

I would not anoint Barber the starter quite yet. He should end up as a third down back as Parcells alluded to with "expanding" (parcells has used two back systems before - think Richie Anderson). As Parcels also said, Barber lacks speed which Jones has. I do think you will see them both this year but I still see JJ as the starter. He'll just lose some action to Barber.

1463693[/snapback]

You're right - reading the whole article changes the tone of that one section. Thanks, DMD!

I do think you will see them both this year but I still see JJ as the starter. He'll just lose some action to Barber.

1463693[/snapback]

DMD's interpitation of the full story, is exactly what I took from the blurb.

JJ still the starter, but expanded role for Barber = less touches for JJ.

Now the 64 dollar question....what is the break down.

Look at their split last year when they were both on the field together after Barber had proved his worth & JJ was back from injury.

Over that 8 game span there were 221 total carries & 36 total receptions between the two.

Of the 221 carries JJ had 145 & Barber had 76. That's 66% of the carries for JJ.

Of the 36 receptions JJ had 23 & Barber 13. Again that's right at 66% for JJ.

Now with Parcells saying this about Barber, "So I think his role will be expanded."

Does that mean something like 60 - 40 for JJ & Barber this year?

or

Will it remain the same as last year, at about 65 - 35 for JJ & Barber?

What the hell?

Had one too many  :D tonight?

1463585[/snapback]

I believe what the General is saying is that Barber and Maroney split time at Minnesota and Maroney couldnt beat out Barber there, so he will not be as prodcutive as Barber.  At least thats the best I could come up with.  :D

1463660[/snapback]

:D See, at least Zia understands my drunk ramblings.

:D It all made so much sense to me at the time.

General, not sure how much you know about the Gophers but Maroney did not have to beat out Barber for the job. Mason ran a true two back offense. Barber and Maroney were much like Bush and White (though not as highly touted) however they both had back to back 1000 yard seasons! Barber was the banger who occasionaly broke a big one and Maroney was the speed back who once he got the corner, he was gone! Barber having success does not mean Maroney will be a stiff, if anything it show that the success both had in college was no fluke.

BTW Maroney split carries with Gary Russel last year and both again had 1,000 yard seasons.

I don't think the success that Maroney had in college will translate in the NFL as well as Barbers. I think you are correct in your assessment of Maroney as a guy who primarily tried to get to and turn the corner. He was helped in doing that by a highly mobile offensive line. The Gophers had a freaking center who could pull on sweep plays! (BTW, Denver got a steal in the 6th round with Eslinger. If he can gain a few pounds of muscle without sacrificing mobility, he will thrive in that system for 15 years.)

Unfortuanately, Maroney can do little else but get to the corner. He can't block like Barber can. He can't catch the ball out of the backfield like Barber can. And he has little to no ability to power it between the tackles. Maroney actually had the chance to make this a single back offense early last year, but his inability to run inside allowed Russell to take over that job and see an increased role during the season spelling Maroney for extended stretches. Getting to the corner will be alot tougher for Maroney in the NFL since all the defenders will be so much quicker and not as overmatched by the opposing offensive line as a number of schools were by the Gophers. Yet Maroney was a 1st round choice while Barber was a 4th rounder. I think that can be attributed to their 40 times. Just my opinion.