[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

1st Year Keeper league

Primetime9287

Hey guys. I have been running my FF league for 4 years now and in my 5th year, there is talks from the owners to make it a Keeper League. I think it is a good idea since it has been the same owners in the league for all of the years with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 people.

With that being said, I know the general rules behind a keeper league, but I was looking for some advice on how to run it. It will be 10 owners. One guy in the league suggested making it a 2-3 player keeper league and keeping the player for a max 3 years. If you guys could maybe post your rules on keeper leagues you are in or just give me some advice that you think would make it run smooth, Id really appreciate it. Thanks

Edit: My main question also revolves around how the drafts after the first year would work.

Josh (primetime)

Edited by Primetime9287

Since you already have a stable league I would have each owner declare which players they want and the rest go back to the pool.

Here are my rules, copy what you want, that is how did it, copied from others.

My Webpage

1497073[/snapback]

I totally disagree with this. If you are changing to a keeper league, you need a fresh draft this year with an eye on keepers next year. Really changes how you manage your team.

I totally disagree with this. If you are changing to a keeper league, you need a fresh draft this year with an eye on keepers next year. Really changes how you manage your team.

1497132[/snapback]

Why?

If you have a fairly stable league then it doesn't make sense to start over again. The decision to change to a keeper league shows that they are wanting to start keeping players. Why would you start new year? Do it now.

Edited by G3-175SE

Why? 

If you have a fairly stable league then it doesn't make sense to start over again.  The decision to change to a keeper league shows that they are wanting to start keeping players.  Why would you start new year?  Do it now.

1497141[/snapback]

Because someone may have drafted differently last year had they known they were keeping players. And if you lose a draft pick based on the round a player kept was drafted, all of a sudden you have guys overvalued and undervalued. The fun of a keeper league is being able to keep value year after year.

Because someone may have drafted differently last year had they known they were keeping players. And if you lose a draft pick based on the round a player kept was drafted, all of a sudden you have guys overvalued and undervalued. The fun of a keeper league is being able to keep value year after year.

1497214[/snapback]

:D

Look at Tiki Barber for instance.

In a redraft I would have no problem spending my first pick on him.

I won't touch him in a keeper, because I don't think he'll be worth that next year, if he plays at all.

Totally different game.

:D

Look at Tiki Barber for instance.

In a redraft I would have no problem spending my first pick on him.

I won't touch him in a keeper, because I don't think he'll be worth that next year, if he plays at all.

Totally different game.

1497335[/snapback]

But you are assuming that the keepers effect the next draft. Leagues are different and I based my comments on how I run my keeper leagues. We don't care where you drafted them, you just get to keep them.

But you are assuming that the keepers effect the next draft.  Leagues are different and I based my comments on how I run my keeper leagues.  We don't care where you drafted them, you just get to keep them.

1497380[/snapback]

I wish I could do that in a league I'm in as I would like to keep Brady. LJ, Caddy and Boldin but it wouldn't be fair to the other teams. I'd be happy to give up an 8th rounder for LJ, a 6th for Caddy and Boldin(trade) and a 3rd for Caddy.

I wish I could do that in a league I'm in as I would like to keep Brady. LJ, Caddy and Boldin but it wouldn't be fair to the other teams. I'd be happy to give up an 8th rounder for LJ, a 6th for Caddy and Boldin(trade) and a 3rd for Caddy.

1497391[/snapback]

That is what I don't understand. How is it not fair? In my leagues it has never given any team an advantage. We have never had a repeat winner. While it does add complexity to the draft I just don't see it makes it more fair. Personally I like to keep it simple and it has worked for all my leagues.

1497132[/snapback]

:agree:

That is what I don't understand.  How is it not fair?  In my leagues it has never given any team an advantage.  We have never had a repeat winner.  While it does add complexity to the draft I just don't see it makes it more fair.  Personally I like to keep it simple and it has worked for all my leagues.

1497402[/snapback]

Well have a league vote and decide it that way.

I say it isn't fair because teams draft players differently for keeper VS redraft leagues. Tiki was mentioned, but in a keeper league younger players would be picked well before him. In many keeper leagues teams pick players for several years ahead not caring about this year.

Like I said have a league vote and present all sides.

Top 12 players in Keeper

1 LaDainian Tomlinson, SD

2 Larry Johnson, KC

3 Shaun Alexander, SEA

4 Clinton Portis, WAS 3

5 Cadillac Williams, TB

6 Ronnie Brown, MIA 5

7 Reggie Bush, NO 7

8 Steven Jackson, STL

9 Willis McGahee, BUF

10 LaMont Jordan, OAK

11 Rudi Johnson, CIN

12 Edgerrin James, ARI

VS Redraft league(from same site)

1 LaDainian Tomlinson, SD

2 Larry Johnson, KC

3 Shaun Alexander, SEA 3

4 Clinton Portis, WAS 4

5 Tiki Barber, NYG

6 LaMont Jordan, OAK 9

7 Edgerrin James, ARI

8 Steven Jackson, STL

9 Ronnie Brown, MIA 10

10 Cadillac Williams, TB

11 Rudi Johnson, CIN 8

12 Domanick Davis, HOU

Edited by Randall

My league moved from redraft to keeper about 4 years ago. We allow teams to add 1 keeper each year, allowing you to keep that player for 3 years. So, you have 3 keepers at a time, and each year one rolls off and you keep another one.

There are no draft picks spent to keep your player. It's kind of like we start the draft in Round 4 because everyone has 3 players kept.

We felt like it was VERY important to hold an initial draft the year we decided to change because it did change when and where certain players were drafted. I believe it's only fair.

If not auction, I'd rather do a redraft. The Draft is the best of all days! Talk crap, draft players, and then talk more crap. Taking the 20-30 BEST players out of the pool cheapens the draft for me. I know that it doesn't reward you for drafting well the year before, but I say, "prove it every year!"

RR

But you are assuming that the keepers effect the next draft.

How would keepers not change next years draft? A re-draft draft is a lot different from a keeper draft. Like it has been said, in a keeper you would draft younger guys higher based on future production.

This is my 13th year running a keeper league. I would first recommend drafting over this year because you WILL draft different in a keeper league. Younger players are more valuable. Our league is a IDP league that has 20 starters(2 QB 3RB 4WR 1TE 1K 3DL 3LB 3DB) We have a total of 32 players on the roster and 2 spaces for IR. Originally we kept 10 players which was too many. Then we went to 5, then 3 then back to 5. There will always be players that are disgruntled if they have a bad team and they will want to keep less players. So finally we found a way to please everyone that has worked really well. You can keep 3-5 players each year. Teams that keep 3 will start drafting to get to 5. If you keep 5 you don't draft in the first two rounds. If you keep 4 you don't draft in the 2nd round. After 2 rounds all teams have 5 players. Then we start our draft from there. I don't believe in a limit of years you can keep a player. Some leagues do this. In ours you can keep a player for 12 years if you want. If you drafted P. Manning and had the foresight to do so he is yours as long as you want. Some teams draft several rookies and may get burned or may draft potential keepers. I personally drafted Portis as a rookie as my 2nd RB, but at the time he was not a starter. It turned out to be a great pick and I've had him ever since. I picked up Palmer last year and it looks like I have a keeper for a long time. Also you can't keep more guys at a position than you start( I don't know why you would want to.) We have a rule you must fill all starting positions before you draft your taxi players. Here is our league website from 2005. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

http://football5.myfantasyleague.com/2005/home/43584

Chaz

If not auction, I'd rather do a redraft.  The Draft is the best of all days!  Talk crap, draft players, and then talk more crap.  Taking the 20-30 BEST players out of the pool cheapens the draft for me.  I know that it doesn't reward you for drafting well the year before, but I say, "prove it every year!"

RR

1497657[/snapback]

Keeper and/or Dynasty requires more thought, preperation and strategy. Some people like it that way. How it cheapens the draft, I have no idea what you're talking about. Anyone can draft and pick the best players in the league but, the middle and late rds. is where you'll win a championship and thought/homework is required. That's what I like. Maybe I don't do it well but, it's more fun for me. As far as proving it every year, that's what keeper and dynasty are all about. Trading up/down in the draft, trading multiple players and/or picks in drafts to get a player you need or want. That's where it's at.