[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Home Field Advantange in FF

blaw23

In a league I run we have a first round bye for the 1st and 2nd place teams. They then play the winners of the 3/6 and 4/5 games respectively the following week . Giving points to another team does not sound right. :D

Yeah, what he said.

I proposed the following home field advantage rule to my leagues this year (and was shot down)

#1 seed gets an additional 25% of his average players score added

#2 seed gets an additional 12.5% of his average players score added.

For example, if you started 8 players and your team averaged 80 points a game then the #1 seed would add 2.5 points to his total. If you were the #2 seed you'd add 1.25 points to your total.

At first I had proposed 50% and 25% for 1 and 2 but thought those %'s might be too high.

No offense, but I think your leaguemates were wise to shoot this down. You're way overthinking things.

Upsets in the playoffs are part of FF...I think trying to regulate it with artificial points is lame. Like the NFL, you'd better play your best games in the playoffs or you're done. I'd follow the NFL - give the top two seeds a bye in the first round if you want to reward them. You'd have to expand your playoffs to six teams, of course.

I had thought about proposing that but with only 10 teams, I thought 6 teams making the playoffs was too many. We don't want to become hockey or basketball allowing more than half the team into the playoffs.

Edited by blaw23

:D:D ............. :D

That is pretty lame and I'd most likely walk if that rule were to go in place. The 10 pts ,and 5 pts even, could go a long way-play straight up with tie going to the home team.

After looking back at the past 4 years week 1 of the playoffs results 8 total games. We found that in 2 games 10 pts. would have made a difference and one of the games it actually would have made the game a tie. The 5 pts. would have made a difference once.

After looking back at the past 4 years week 1 of the playoffs results 8 total games. We found that in 2 games 10 pts. would have made a difference and one of the games it actually would have made the game a tie. The 5 pts. would have made a difference once.

I think the consensus is tie goes to div winner, maybe a small payout for winning division.

HFA is a bad idea, as most have replied (in the neighborly way in which the question was asked).

FYI - I see you've won 6 championships in 8 "seasons". That tells me you're pretty good at FFL. It also tells me you play w/ a bunch of chimps. Give 'em a banana for HFA, they'll be fine.

I think the consensus is tie goes to div winner, maybe a small payout for winning division.

HFA is a bad idea, as most have replied (in the neighborly way in which the question was asked).

FYI - I see you've won 6 championships in 8 "seasons". That tells me you're pretty good at FFL. It also tells me you play w/ a bunch of chimps. Give 'em a banana for HFA, they'll be fine.

That pretty much sums up the sentiment I have gotten here. I agree and think I will definitely propose the tie going to the "Home" team. The other suggestion of #1 seed gets to pick his opponent is very interesting.

Yes, in the league we are discussing I have won 3 out of 4 championships and lost in the SB last year. I have actually been pretty lucky that my teams have peaked going into playoff time. I have actually only went in as the one seed once and last year was the first time I went in as a 2 seed.

Thanks again to everyone on their opinions and suggestions. I will take the results from here back to the league and see what we can come up with that is fair.

They don't give the Colts more points on the board to start a playoff game for home field advantage. Why would you do that in ff? I've seen hma given to break ties as mentioned above, but I would disagree with even the wisdom of that. Everybody that makes the playoffs deserves to play on a level playing field.

First round byes given to top seeds? Sure why not.

Give a few extra points to the best teams before the games are played? No way.

I totally disagree with giving points to the #1 seed. They have the luxury of playing the worst seed in the playoffs anyway. I also think it is crazy to let the #1 seed pick who they play. Set up the playoff seeding and play whoever you play.

I agree that there ought to be a reward for manging your team through the regular season otherwise the play-off are 100% luck. (Last year I lost one game in the reguar season and then lost the SuperBowl by 3 points to the number 6 seed that got hot at just the right time).

You might also consider having the top six teams go the the play-offs with the #1 and #2 getting a bye the first week.

A minor award we give is in case of a tie, the win goes to the team with the better regular season record.

Finally, if the majority want the rule change I would let that one coach walk. You can't let one coach dictate what the league rules - it should be based on a majority rule system.

I have a question I wanted to pose to everyone here to see what you all thought. In my local league we tried to come up with some way to give a "Home Field Advantage" to the 1 and 2 seed in the first week of the playoffs.

This possible rule change has met some pretty strong criticism and 1 owner has said he will leave if this rule is put into place.

Basically here it is, this is a 10 team league with 2 divisions. Division winners being 1 and 2 seed.

1vs.4

2vs.3

The avg. margin of victory in that first week of the playoffs is 28 pts. We came up with giving 10 pts to the 1 seed for that game and 5 pts. to the 2 seed.

I am kind of on the fence about this rule. Is it fair to give points to a team, no, but there is really no way to give a home field advantage in FF. We may just end up scrapping that rule and giving an extra $100 to 1 seed and $50 to the 2 seed. Then that has also received criticism because of taking away from the final payout.

Just wanted to get some more feedback on it, and see if anyone else has come up with a way to give a home field advantage.

How cute ... you're going to stalk me. Have fun.

What a mo mo.

Trust me - I won't waste my time stalking, but your arrogance is ridiculous and has been for years on these boards. You always criticize those that are not like-minded with you and do so in a berating manner. When I happen upon it, more often than not I'm gonna call you out for being the di-ck that you are.

Ahhh... football is in the air...

What a mo mo.

Trust me - I won't waste my time stalking, but your arrogance is ridiculous and has been for years on these boards. You always criticize those that are not like-minded with you and do so in a berating manner. When I happen upon it, more often than not I'm gonna call you out for being the di-ck that you are.

:D

So you are going to half-ass stalk me then ... I'm so proud.

What a mo mo.

:D:D:D

Dude! Stop! You're killing me! :D

Keep this up and your last post will be...

"Thank you sir... May I have another please!"

Sorry, ya'all got me sidetracked!

HFA Sucks and causes nothing but hard feelings and frustration. The higher seeded team almost always already has an advantage, THAT is why they are seeded #1.

Give the High seed 1/2 point to break a tie in the play-offs and or use decimal scoring, this will solve the problem.

If you applay this concept to the "Real World", If Team A is starting LT and Team B is starting Gates how can you say one team is a "home team". Yes, this is Fantasy Football, and we pretend that they are "our" players, not the NFL's. But this too is something that some of us have a problem with.

There is no way to fairly apply a home field advantage. :D

I have a question I wanted to pose to everyone here to see what you all thought. In my local league we tried to come up with some way to give a "Home Field Advantage" to the 1 and 2 seed in the first week of the playoffs.

I don't like the idea of home field advantage and would not want to take part in a league in which it was used. IMO the slate is clean when the playoffs start and it should be fought out from there. The fact that the #1 team is playing the #4 team should be advantage enough. It sounds like the team with the best regular season record didn't win last year and they are trying to stack the deck to make sure it doesn't happen again.

In fantasy football, all things are possible.

My eldest league -- and the one that's the most fun -- you get points in the playoffs based on the number of wins in the regular season. Of course, we have a playoff structure in which all teams are in the playoffs, so we need to give an advantage to the better teams to make the regular season worth something more than the weekly prize for most points.

So, say you give three points per regular season victory (varies depending on your scoring system, of course). If a 12-1 team faces a 5-8 team in the playoffs, the 12-1 team will have a 21-point advantage in the playoffs -- substantial, but not impossible to overcome.

The anaolgies to real football are too literal and to us just don't wash. The home-field advantage in football can be overcome by the superior team play of a lesser team (see, for example, the Steelers). You don't get that option in fantasy football, since your "team" is only a "team" in your mind. The truth is, many of the best fantasy football teams during the regular season can be at a disadvantage in the playoffs, and especially in the Super Bowl, because those teams are most likely to have playoff contenders who play little or not at all in the last couple of weeks in the season.

Awarding points for each regular-season victory just helps offset what we see as a disadvantage to good teams. In the several years we've been doing this, the best team in the regular season has made the Super Bowl each year, and has won it each year but one. Imho, that's exactly as it should be. The money should go to the guy who drafted the best and made the best moves through the year, not to the team that picked up Neil Rackers in the fourth week and got some lucky performances out of the Marion Barbers of the world during the playoffs.

Just another option. You can come up with some pretty creative stuff in fantasy football, depending on what you want out of it. If you have a bunch of people who just want to be "right" or actually believe there is some connection between real football and fantasy football, I'd suggest you find another league.

While making a HUGE mistake at the same time!

:D:D:D

Dude! Stop! You're killing me! :D

Keep this up and your last post will be...

"Thank you sir... May I have another please!"

What, are you Grit's stoolie? Do you carry the boom box, too? Or is that for someone else in the entourage?