[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why is Culpepper a popular bust pick?

FishFreak

Of course Culpepper has a bum knee, is no lock to play week one and has a whole new team, scheme and set of receivers to consider this year, so it is not a 1:1 comparison with last year during his 7th season with the Vikings.

Are those Mularkey stats since 2000?

Some people make better coordinators than head coaches - Mularkey could be one of them.

Dolphin fans have been used to dreck since 2000. Excuse our optimism but when you've had the likes of Ray Lucas and Sage Rosenfeld QB your team CPepp seems like Joe Montana.

C'mon people it's not like we're talking about Joey Harrington here.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've summed up what I've been saying all along in one paragraph! Maybe now all these Culpepper haters will see the light AND the logical draft strategy I've been sharing.

Also (at least in my leagues), there are usually at least 2 teams that have more than 1 solid QB - there's always the option to trade for one of those if need be as well.

I think Daunte has definite upside and surely COULD end up being a top 10 QB (I'd say there's slightly higher than a 50% chance), but you'd definitely need to back him up with at least 1 other QB iwth upside (I'd probably go with 3 QBs on my roster out of the box if I end up going this route).

You've summed up what I've been saying all along in one paragraph! Maybe now all these Culpepper haters will see the light AND the logical draft strategy I've been sharing.

It has less to do with us hating Culpepper, and more to do with facts that you disagree with because you can't see past your homer glasses.

So the anti-CPepp people in this thread are saying it was a mistake for the Dolphins to trade a 2nd round slob for a QB? NO

The Fish didn't improve their team by trading for Cpepp? Maybe

They have no shot at winning anything if they're good enough to make the playoffs? NOPE

So the anti-CPepp people in this thread are saying it was a mistake for the Dolphins to trade a 2nd round slob for a QB?

The Fish didn't improve their team by trading for Cpepp?

They have no shot at winning anything if they're good enough to make the playoffs?

This has nothing to do with how the Dolphins will play with Culpepper at the helm, or whether their trade for Culpepper was a good one, etc. It has everything to do with FF owners drafting Culpepper as their #1 QB when he obviously has multiple obstacles to his success this season.

So far I have not seen any decent argument (form anyone in this thread) for ignoring all of those hurdles and drafting Culpepper as a #1 QB.

Some people make better coordinators than head coaches - Mularkey could be one of them.

Dolphin fans have been used to dreck since 2000. Excuse our optimism but when you've had the likes of Ray Lucas and Sage Rosenfeld QB your team CPepp seems like Joe Montana.

Those numbers are from 2 years as BUF HC and 3 years at PIT OC

How is it logical to draft a QB with 3 torn knee ligaments who plays in a new offense and threw more INTs than TDs last year? Especially when there are guys with so much less risk who you can draft at around the same time as him? I guess I'm a "Culpepper hater" if I want my QB position to be stable and stress free?

But you might be at any given week of the season and even in week one.

So the anti-CPepp people in this thread are saying it was a mistake for the Dolphins to trade a 2nd round slob for a QB?

The Fish didn't improve their team by trading for Cpepp?

They have no shot at winning anything if they're good enough to make the playoffs?

Apples & oranges. The Dolphins got a QB who was great in the past and could be great again. Considering the lack of quality free agent QBs, I can't fault them for taking the chance.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Culpepper regained his old form, once his knee heals and he learns this offense. How long that takes, we don't know. It also wouldn't surprise me if he struggles with his mobility all season, leads the league in INTs, or goes down injured once again.

But in fantasy football, and especially at the QB position, you want stability and consistency. You don't want a Vick or a Culpepper who might give you a great game one week and negative points the next. With Culpepper being so risky and such an unknown commodity at this point, it's just foolish to take that chance on him unless you have a top tier #1 QB and won't have to rely on him other than your starter's bye week. ESPECIALLY with guys like Delhomme and Warner available around the same time in your draft.

How is it logical to draft a QB with 3 torn knee ligaments who plays in a new offense and threw more INTs than TDs last year? Especially when there are guys with so much less risk who you can draft at around the same time as him? I guess I'm a "Culpepper hater" if I want my QB position to be stable and stress free?

It's called "upside" - based on Culpepper's performance over his career, he's certainly got the ability to bounce back and put up a ton of fantasy points. He sucked last year - no doubt. But he had NOBODY to throw to and, while he was healthy, the entire Minny O was an embarrassment - blown plays left and right, a usually sound running game was going nowhere (or not being used, rather) and let's not forget the unbelievable moron who was piloting that ship (Tice handled that situation masterfully) . . . did I mention that there was NOBODY to throw to either?

I'm not saying he's a lock for anything or even that anyone should draft him with confidence as their #1 QB, but he's in a much better situation this year - MIA is a much more stable atmosphere (I think everyone is forgetting just how much of a disgrace (in every facet) that MIN team was at the beginning of the year last year) and he's got Chambers and McMichael to throw to (the Wiggins argument is noted, but Randy clearly has the better skills - they just didn't throw to him much last year). The knee is an obvious concern, but I think the other considerations make him an intriguing pick and a possible #1 a few games into the season.

All I'm saying is that as of now you can get Culpepper late and easily back him up with a decent QB. That way, he definately won't kill your fantasy squad if he gets hurt or sucks but he could help you win a championship. What's fantasy football without the fun of taking risks? At the end of the day, nobody is a guarantee.

All I'm saying is that as of now you can get Culpepper late and easily back him up with a decent QB. That way, he definately won't kill your fantasy squad if he gets hurt or sucks but he could help you win a championship. What's fantasy football without the fun of taking risks? At the end of the day, nobody is a guarantee.

Agree, but you started this thread asking why he's a popular bust pick, and we told you why. I never said he doesn't have upside, I just explained why he was a potential bust. You didn't want to hear any of it.

Apples & oranges. The Dolphins got a QB who was great in the past and could be great again. Considering the lack of quality free agent QBs, I can't fault them for taking the chance.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Culpepper regained his old form, once his knee heals and he learns this offense. How long that takes, we don't know. It also wouldn't surprise me if he struggles with his mobility all season, leads the league in INTs, or goes down injured once again.

But in fantasy football, and especially at the QB position, you want stability and consistency. You don't want a Vick or a Culpepper who might give you a great game one week and negative points the next. With Culpepper being so risky and such an unknown commodity at this point, it's just foolish to take that chance on him unless you have a top tier #1 QB and won't have to rely on him other than your starter's bye week. ESPECIALLY with guys like Delhomme and Warner available around the same time in your draft.

Seriously, how many guys are giving you stability and consistency at the QB position every week? Nobody drops 250 yards passing, 2 TD's and no INT's every single week. Everyone has their ups and downs. That's why you need a complete team so others can pick up the slack. Even Manning started off slow last year. The fact of the matter is there is very little separating one QB from the other (outside of Manning).

Agree, but you started this thread asking why he's a popular bust pick, and we told you why. I never said he doesn't have upside, I just explained why he was a potential bust. You didn't want to hear any of it.

Well I guess first we should define "Bust". The biggest reason why I thought Culpepper wasn't a bust was because of where he can be drafted (late) and how easily you can still get a decent back-up QB later in your draft.

Now guys like KJ and Duece of last year or Ahman Green of 04 are serious busts that could kill a fantasy team instantly.

Well I guess first we should define "Bust". The biggest reason why I thought Culpepper wasn't a bust was because of where he can be drafted (late) and how easily you can still get a decent back-up QB later in your draft.

Now guys like KJ and Duece of last year or Ahman Green of 04 are serious busts that could kill a fantasy team instantly.

If you think Cpep is going to be a top 3, or even top 5, he's going to be a bust. If you think Cpep will play 10 games and put up average numbers, he won't. As you said, all depends on your definition of "bust".

Well, several have tried to answer your question. Obviously we have not swayed you one bit. And that is fine. The fun of drafting a fantasy team is that YOU decide who you want to roll with. And only YOU will either win or lose based on your decision. So I'm not going to try to twist your arm.

But the writers at the Huddle were all asked to submit their Sleepers/Busts lists independently and completely unaware what each of the other writers opinions were. And as you noted, the concensus of writers all opted to include Culpepper on their bust list (almost to a man). Maybe the Huddle writers are the dummies and you have it right. But you are probably bucking the odds bigtime. Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Whattaya know? Those (Deuce and KJ) were my 1st and 2nd round picks last year - and I still led the league in total points and made the playoffs.

Seriously, how many guys are giving you stability and consistency at the QB position every week?

Well I had two guys on my squad last year who did that...Bulger before he got hurt, and Palmer. I'd say Brady is pretty consistent also, as are Plummer and Delhomme, just a notch lower in production. Warner had a solid run of games too. I agree that all QBs will have their ups & downs, but for most, "down" doesn't mean 6 INTs in a game. I'd much, much rather have a guy who gives me 10, 12, 10, 15, 11, 14, 10, than one who goes 20, 8, 15, -2, 10, 5, 20, 3, etc. Why? Because those low scores are likely to cost me a W, and I never know when he's going to give me a great game or a crap game so it becomes impossible to know when to start him.

I'm a MIAMI FAN just wanna get that out of the way!

Why is Culpepper a popular bust pick?

1) Still has to learn how to run an offense in the past he relied heavily on his mobility and not his brain

2) In the past he had great WR's (Moss, Carter, Etc.)

3) Makes poor decisions and does not take care of the football ala Tony Banks

4) Miami Oline did a good job protecting last year but still are just average blockers.

Why he should not be a popular bust.

1) Draft Culpepper 7th or later and reap the rewards

2) Chambers, Brooks, Mcdaniel (everyone forgetting about him), Brown, plenty of solid targets

3) No distractions

4) Looking great in camp so far (I know it's only camp don't get all crazy)