[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

From The CrockPot-Week 1

PantherDave

Well, I must admit, that was good as hell!!! I pulled all the beef with a fork so it was shredded and ready to go-poured the gravy on and dug the fug in!!! The kitchen is a mess-take care of that during the Sunday night game, as I'm full as a .....well whatever is really full. Opinions appreciated on this weeks recipie.

Just put everything into the Crock-pot. (I'm going to cook it overnight.)

Used a Bass Ale for the beer.

I usually use a nice Scottish Ale - the heavier the better; works absolutely fantastic.

I did NOT throw anything in the crock pot - I had some prime rib left over from a camping trip (knowing a chef is never a bad thing :D ) and basically was trying to take it out before it went bad, so it was prime rib sandwiches with wasabi mayo and red onions for me today. It didn't suck, that's for sure.

Good stuff PDave. Very tender and subtley flavorful. Used the leftovers in a quick macaroni hotdish today. :lol:

Got around to trying this on Saturday and it made for a great feast, especially after watching Michigan pound ND. :D

I'll enjoy the leftovers tonight while watching MFL to make sure my team finishes off PantherDave in the Cheating Bastages league. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Brown the beef and the sausage together along with a chopped onion (add salt and pepper here).

Boil the Rigatoni pasta while your browning the meat (10 minutes in boiling water, then drain).

I like to slice the garlic fresh, but you can use some pre-chopped garlic from the grocery store to save time.

I also like fresh basil... you can use dried basil spice, but fresh basil leaves are hard to beat.

Layer the ingredients in the croc-pot.

Beef/Sausage

Garlic/Basil

Rigatoni

Tomato Sauce (I use a spicy pizza sauce)

Pepperoni

Mozzarella/Cheddar Cheese

Repeat Layers

(You of course can also add mushrooms or olives, etc. as you prefer)

Cook on low for a good 6 to 8 hours or so.

Hey Savage, can you toss down some rough amounts for ingredients? I think I am giving this a go this weekend.

• 1 month later...

i made this yesterday, with a few changes...chuck roast instead of brisket, pearl onions instead of sliced, and i added some baby carrots and a couple big potatos cut into big chunks. pretty damn tasty roast, but if i made it again i'd cut way back on the chili sauce, maybe even eliminate it entirely and cook the thing in two beers, as that sweetness sort of overpowered a lot of the other flavors. but even with the sweetness it's a very good, very unique gravy.

my hunch here (and with cooking involving beer in general) is that maltier would be better than hoppier. a brown ale like newcastle or turbodog (from abita), or an oktoberfest, or a porter or stout. again, just my own hunch.

Used an Oatmeal stout this week and made some beer gravy from the beef juice. Turned out very good.