[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rematch Good for College Football?

Rockerbraves

I think that most of the players that take the field on Saturdays have either a full or partial scholarship. Would seem to me that they get an education out of the deal.

how come most of these guys don't exactly light up the wonderlic test then???? to say they get a quality education is foolin yerself ... some do, most don't IMO

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, what if the Big 10 had a conference Championship game, and this time Michigan beat OSU. Would OSU want OSU/UM III then in the NC game. You bet your ass they would.

Geez...you guys must really have some man-love for these two teams. Are you sure neither of you guys have a relative on the team.? I say, if they can't settle it in 1 then 2 games what makes you think they could settle it in three? Why don't you do what Coach Green said after the Bears beat Arizona and just crown them both National Champions? Hmmm...Guess that's what you are doing now. :D

Geez...you guys must really have some man-love for these two teams. Are you sure neither of you guys have a relative on the team.? I say, if they can't settle it in 1 then 2 games what makes you think they could settle it in three? Why don't you do what Coach Green said after the Bears beat Arizona and just crown them both National Champions? Hmmm...Guess that's what you are doing now. :D

I'm not quite sure what you mean by you guys. I think I've been pretty clear on my position on this particular issue. Sarge was saying if OSU beat Mich, then they would feel THEY deserved a rematch (of course they would, they have 1 loss, just like the rest of them) and I was saying that it's entirely possible. Look at the BCS standings right now. Ohio State has a perfect score. Michigan is still #2, and very high in terms of points. If Michigan came back and beat Ohio State by 2-5 points, how far do you think Ohio State would drop? My bet is no lower than #2. Michigan would get vaulted to #1 no matter what USC would have done. I'm simply saying, imagine all of the whiners then? THREE games in one year. Oh my gosh, it would be the end of the world. Sarge is simply asking the question, I'm just telling you that it would be a very good possibility. So maybe you should be thankful the Big Ten doesn't have a Big Ten Championship.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by you guys. I think I've been pretty clear on my position on this particular issue.

I'm just telling you that it would be a very good possibility. So maybe you should be thankful the Big Ten doesn't have a Big Ten Championship.

Thought you said in an earlier post you believe Michigan & Ohio State are the two best teams in the nation. Wasn't sure how you guys (sarge) came up with that certain conclusion which is the reason for my man-love post.

I know you don't support a rematch, however in my opinion it's for the wrong reason. Believe you stated your reason was something like, you just don't think a team that doesn't win their conference should even be considered. While people who oppose the rematch are more interested in finding out if Ohio State is indeed worthy of winning this year's NC. We can debate who's number two perhaps after the NC game, but until Ohio State is tested outside the Big Ten we really won't know. As it turned out the win over Texas, a team that lost to a Big 12 North squad, might not be as much of a quality win as we first thought way back then.

The point I'm attempting to make is that if the Big Ten had a conference championship game one of two things would have happened. First, Ohio State wins so we could eliminate Michigan and perhaps reward another team with a crack at exposing the #1 team and that would in all honesty give Wisconsin new BCS life a punishment of sorts on Michigan for the right to play in the Big 10 championship game. Second scenerio if Michigan were to win the conference championship game at least we would all feel better about the rematch without having to endure the initial rematchup in our NC game or perhaps Ohio State would be exposed as a not so great football team as their fans and the pollsters now think. In short, playing the extra game in the Big 10 & Pac 10 just gives everyone more information in determining our NC.

I think I have plenty of information on Ohio State already. They are 1 of only 2 undefeated teams left. They've beaten #2 in the nation TWICE now. Texas IN Austin, and now Michigan. I fail to see how a conference championship against the same Michigan team would make them better or any worse, or even exposed. All it would prove is that the two teams beat each other if Michigan were to win. Now again, I'm not saying that I would be in support of a 3rd game in that scenario, I'm simply saying, a 3rd game, under the current structure of the BCS, would be very possible. Agree or Disagree? Both teams would have 1 loss... Ohio State wouldn't drop very far in the polls (Michigan didn't, why should they?)

And yes, I do think they are the top 2 teams in the nation. I've seen many games by Florida, USC, and Arkansas (the only other teams I feel deserve to come even close to sniffing a NC game). I've watched them all play in there biggest games, and Michigan has impressed me the most out of those teams. But Michigan didn't take care of business, and therefore I don't feel they deserve to play for a National Title. The only way I would be in support of it is if the following happened... LSU beats Arkansas, Arkansas beats Florida, Notre Dame beats USC. That would leave Michigan and Notre Dame as the final 2 1 loss teams in question, Michigan beat Notre Dame, they should get the nod, and the rematch. But if that doens't happen, I won't agree.

Edit to add: Wisconsin lost to Michigan. They are the 3rd best team in the conference, end of story. Michigan handled them quite easily as well. Lets end the poor Wisconsin portion of this. They had a great year, 11-1, but that's it. They are right where they should be, Capital One Bowl vs what will be a very good SEC opponent.

Edited by GWPFFL BrianW

Let's see if we can attempt to find a couple of teams they could be added to the Pac 10 and Big 10 to round them up to 12.

Big Ten - Notre Dame is the logical choice there. If those azzes from ND want to remain Independent look towards the Big East Conference. Those teams haven't shown much conference loyalty (Syracuse, West Virginia, Louisville) Would actually be a plus on the basketball side of the Big Ten.

Pac 10 is harder. Guess you would look for the best overall athletic programs from the WAC and Mountain West. First school to pop into my head was BYU. Any of the Utah teams have any consistent good athletics. Maybe the Big 12 would be willing to drop one of their North teams aka Colorado to pick up TCU.

Interesting.... as a Pac 10 guy, I think Utah and Colorado are the ONLY possibilites, and I would be for both of them. I think CU would jump at the chance, the Pac 10 is superior to the Big 12 in every aspect, athletically and academically. Utah makes sense as well- and it is something that could happen down the road. They flirted with Texas a few years ago, which would be a good choice, but they aren't going anywhere, especially now since they would be playing 2nd fiddle to USC.

Big 10, hmmm- I mean ND is not going to join any conference- period. Those Big East schools don't really fit- WVU in the Big 10?? no way. Louisville, or Pitt maybe- tough call

I think I have plenty of information on Ohio State already. They are 1 of only 2 undefeated teams left. They've beaten #2 in the nation TWICE now. Texas IN Austin, and now Michigan. I fail to see how a conference championship against the same Michigan team would make them better or any worse, or even exposed. All it would prove is that the two teams beat each other if Michigan were to win. Now again, I'm not saying that I would be in support of a 3rd game in that scenario, I'm simply saying, a 3rd game, under the current structure of the BCS, would be very possible. Agree or Disagree? Both teams would have 1 loss... Ohio State wouldn't drop very far in the polls (Michigan didn't, why should they?)

And yes, I do think they are the top 2 teams in the nation. I've seen many games by Florida, USC, and Arkansas (the only other teams I feel deserve to come even close to sniffing a NC game). I've watched them all play in there biggest games, and Michigan has impressed me the most out of those teams. But Michigan didn't take care of business, and therefore I don't feel they deserve to play for a National Title. The only way I would be in support of it is if the following happened... LSU beats Arkansas, Arkansas beats Florida, Notre Dame beats USC. That would leave Michigan and Notre Dame as the final 2 1 loss teams in question, Michigan beat Notre Dame, they should get the nod, and the rematch. But if that doens't happen, I won't agree.

Edit to add: Wisconsin lost to Michigan. They are the 3rd best team in the conference, end of story. Michigan handled them quite easily as well. Lets end the poor Wisconsin portion of this. They had a great year, 11-1, but that's it. They are right where they should be, Capital One Bowl vs what will be a very good SEC opponent.

Must be my writing I apoligize. Think you missed my point about the value of a Big 10 Championship Game. I would actually support a rematch in the NC much more if Michigan beat Ohio State then the way it is now where people assume they are the 2nd best team in the nation. That's the beauty of a conference championship game. The rest of the country wouldn't have to necessarily endure another Ohio State win at the expense of the NC game. And if Michigan won the conference championship there would be much more nationall acceptance for a rematch.

FYI: Can recall when the SEC first started playing the SEC championship. Beleive it was Alabama that came rolling into the championship game with an undeated record and had to face a pretty decent Gator team. As a SEC fan I thought like you how unfair to Alabama since they might be knocked out of the NC if the Gators upset them. Fairly sure the Tide won that game and went on to win the NC that year too.

Not sure why I gave that information except to maybe to put some Big 10 and Pac 10 people at ease in regard to putting themselves up for another game that could result in an upset. On the other hand the SEC Championship game actually propelled LSU to the NC game so it can also be a good thing as well.

Edited by Rockerbraves

Interesting.... as a Pac 10 guy, I think Utah and Colorado are the ONLY possibilites, and I would be for both of them. I think CU would jump at the chance, the Pac 10 is superior to the Big 12 in every aspect, athletically and academically. Utah makes sense as well- and it is something that could happen down the road. They flirted with Texas a few years ago, which would be a good choice, but they aren't going anywhere, especially now since they would be playing 2nd fiddle to USC.

Big 10, hmmm- I mean ND is not going to join any conference- period. Those Big East schools don't really fit- WVU in the Big 10?? no way. Louisville, or Pitt maybe- tough call

Surprised you don't consider BYU an option. They have a decent athletic program don't they? Are they a small school or something? How about Syracuse for the Big Ten?

Edited by Rockerbraves

Surprised you don't consider BYU an option. They have a decent athletic program don't they? Are they are small school or something? How about Syracuse for the Big Ten?

left coast doesn't love mormons....... kidding aside- not sure on them really- I think Utah has surpassed them as a fottball program, and hoops as well. SU in the Big 10? maybe- just hard to see an upstate NY team in the Big 10- can't see em leaving the BE.

left coast doesn't love mormons....... kidding aside- not sure on them really- I think Utah has surpassed them as a fottball program, and hoops as well. SU in the Big 10? maybe- just hard to see an upstate NY team in the Big 10- can't see em leaving the BE.

None of the New Mexico schools would be worth considering? Guess left coast doesn't :D like mexicans either? Just kiddin

I am a huge Ohio State fan and a Big 10 fan too. I have close friends, some who go to Wisconsin, and some that go to Michigan. I'm on the same page as Brian as that I think Michigan had their shot and they didn't win against Ohio State when they needed to. Like Tressel said, you should have to win your conference title to go to the National Championship game. Carr and his boys knew that that game had National Title implications, with the winner locking up a spot in Glendale. He didn't win, and now he is lobbying to still make it. Michigan is a incredible team; they are probably the second best team in the country but I want to see the Buckeyes take on another team from another conference to see what they are really made of. I would love to see either USC or Florida but I think Florida will lose to Arkansas in the SEC Championship game. It will be a very interesting next couple of weeks, that's all we really can say at this point.

None of the New Mexico schools would be worth considering? Guess left coast doesn't :D like mexicans either? Just kiddin

me loves some hispanic wimmin folk. New Mexico schools? not a chance in hell- athletically or academically they are not even close. Remember the Pac 10 has more NCAA championships than any conference in the country- :D plus Cal, Stanford, UCLA, Wash- damn good schools.

We can debate who's number two perhaps after the NC game, but until Ohio State is tested outside the Big Ten we really won't know. As it turned out the win over Texas, a team that lost to a Big 12 North squad, might not be as much of a quality win as we first thought way back then.

Another lost by Texas only solidifies my position that Ohio State really hasn't been tested enough outside the Big Ten conference to warrant a rematch between two teams from that same conference.

Another lost by Texas only solidifies my position that Ohio State really hasn't been tested enough outside the Big Ten conference to warrant a rematch between two teams from that same conference.

A Gators loss and Trojan Loss and OSU will play Michigan. I don't think Notre Dame has any type of argument or chance to leap frog the Wolverines. I still think it will be USC when it's all said and done.

I have no rooting interest in any of the top teams. But as a pure football fan, I would love to see Michigan and Ohio State play again on a neutral field for the National Championship. To me, that is the most interesting game and the fact that they've already played once makes it even more interesting to me.

I guess I can understand if you have a rooting interest in a particular team or a conference in general how you'd want to see a different match-up and not a rematch. But from a football purest perspective, I want to see the best two teams play and from what I've seen OSU and Michigan look like the two best teams.

That said, the difference between USC and Michigan is so small (in my opinion, and in the rankings), that if USC beats ND tonight and takes care of business against UCLA I think they deserve a shot at OSU.

OSU/Mich and OSU/USC are probably the only two match-ups I really care to see. If another team gets in (FLA, ARK, ND, etc.) I probably wouldn't even watch the game.

The whole thing is a farce.

If the BCS is supposed to be about number 1 vs number 2 then the fact that those 2 teams had already played should be irrelevant. It is a popularity contest ... the writers will vote for the team they want to play OSU not the team they believe to be number 2.

Of course who really believes we get a true ranking of teams anyway.

The whole thing is a farce.

If the BCS is supposed to be about number 1 vs number 2 then the fact that those 2 teams had already played should be irrelevant. It is a popularity contest ... the writers will vote for the team they want to play OSU not the team they believe to be number 2.

Of course who really believes we get a true ranking of teams anyway.

I'd like to do away with the preseason bias that goes along with this whole thing. I understand they need to hype everything up, but preseason polls screw too many teams over.

But from a football purest perspective, I want to see the best two teams play and from what I've seen OSU and Michigan look like the two best teams.

That said, the difference between USC and Michigan is so small (in my opinion, and in the rankings), that if USC beats ND tonight and takes care of business against UCLA I think they deserve a shot at OSU.

Anything but a rematch would be better for college football. Like I said before, we can debate who's number two after the NC game, but until Ohio State is tested outside the Big Ten we really don't know how good they are. As it turns out Ohio State's win (upset) over Texas doesn't look nearly as impressive as it did way back in early September. Now couple that with USC's total domination of Notre Dame and football fans have to start questioning Ohio State's only other quality win against Michigan who's rank is totally based on their upset win over Notre Dame. I remain convinced that College football & Ohio State deserve better than a rematch of two teams who have yet to prove themselves outside their own conference.

Edited by Rockerbraves

Anything but a rematch would be better for college football. Like I said before, we can debate who's number two after the NC game, but until Ohio State is tested outside the Big Ten we really don't know how good they are. As it turns out Ohio State's win (upset) over Texas doesn't look nearly as impressive as it did way back in early September. Now couple that with USC's total domination of Notre Dame and football fans have to start questioning Ohio State's only other quality win against Michigan who's rank is totally based on their upset win over Notre Dame. I remain convinced that College football deserves better than a rematch of two teams who have yet to prove themselves outside their own conference.

And when OSu whips the sh*t out of SC, the final poll will be OSu 1, Michigan 2, and people will be screaming that is who should have played for all the marbles. I now hope Sc gets to Glendale, I want to see them punked and see Carroll scratching his head after losing yet another NC game. Talk about a team that hasnt played anyone, Arkansas will have 3 loses this time next week, as will Nebraska and ND is as over-rated as the Pac-10 conference.

And when OSu whips the sh*t out of SC, the final poll will be OSu 1, Michigan 2, and people will be screaming that is who should have played for all the marbles. I now hope Sc gets to Glendale, I want to see them punked and see Carroll scratching his head after losing yet another NC game. Talk about a team that hasnt played anyone, Arkansas will have 3 loses this time next week, as will Nebraska and ND is as over-rated as the Pac-10 conference.

Only people that will be screaming will be those Michigan fans who were begging for a re-do. They had their chance and it wasn't like 3 months ago either. It was their last game of the season when both teams knew what they were playing for.

Jealousy clearly runs rampant in Sooner Land. :D 55-19 :D

If indeed Notre Dame gets a rematch with Michigan in the Rose Bowl. perhaps Michigan and Big Ten fans might start understanding why so many people outside the Big Ten arn't in favor of a NC rematch. Geez...just think if the Irish were to beat the Wolverines. Notre Dame would assure themselves a BCS Bowl for the next decade.

Jealousy clearly runs rampant in Sooner Land. :D 55-19 :D

jealous of what. Sc is about to lose 2 NC games in a row. What do I have to be jealous of. Ou is building, and thats all I can ask right now. But if they get a JUCO Qb next yr, and recruit a stud and let him sit 2 yrs, look out. This Sooner OL is lethal right now, blowing teams up off the ball, and they are all freshman and sophs, outside one Senior who looks to be the weakest link. This OL is making 3rd string RBs look like Earl Campbell. Its better to be a Sooner Fan in their darkest days, than a fan from any school from the Wac-10.

jealous of what. Sc is about to lose 2 NC games in a row. What do I have to be jealous of. Ou is building, and thats all I can ask right now. But if they get a JUCO Qb next yr, and recruit a stud and let him sit 2 yrs, look out. This Sooner OL is lethal right now, blowing teams up off the ball, and they are all freshman and sophs, outside one Senior who looks to be the weakest link. This OL is making 3rd string RBs look like Earl Campbell. Its better to be a Sooner Fan in their darkest days, than a fan from any school from the Wac-10.

I love all this hate you spew. So much jealousy private.... what exactly is the cause of it???

- The fact your 2.3 GPA & 810 SAT couldn't get you in to a Pac 10 school?

- Jealous that Norman & Stillwater aren't exactly LA, Bay Area, Seattle, or Phoenix??

- The quality of women in the Pac 10 that blows the cows of the Big 12 outta the water?

- The sheer dominance of all NCAA athletics by the Pac 10?

So many reasons to be jealous, so I can see where you are coming from I guess.

USC is in the middle of an incredible 4 year run that there really is no argument against. I would take that fotunate win by VYoung last year and shut your hole.