[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints fans show their love

rajncajn

Brees applauds Saints fans' love

Mike O'Hara / The Detroit News

MIAMI -- The Saints learned how to win last season, finishing 10-6 and winning the NFC South. They also learned about unconditional love.

Sure, the Saints fell apart against the Bears in the NFC championship game. But their misery didn't end after the game. Snow in Chicago delayed the team's return to New Orleans for three hours.

But when they landed in New Orleans, there was an unexpected welcoming party -- their fans.

"It was incredible," quarterback Drew Brees said Monday. "Obviously, a tough loss. Season over. Unexpected. We all were planning to continue to go on.

"I'll tell you what -- that city, I've never seen a city so excited for obviously the entire season, but especially those last three weeks as we were moving through the playoffs.

"It's 2 in the morning, pouring down rain, and we probably have a couple thousand fans lining the streets from the airport to the main road. I mean, no umbrellas, just getting poured on, yet they're clapping, cheering, just excited."

That would have been pretty cool to be there for that. :D

That would have been pretty cool to be there for that. :D

:D Cool story. A good ending to a solid year for the New Orleans Saints. It's too bad they didn't make it to the Super Bowl, but with such young talent that team can only get better. And the fans deserve it. :bash:

Good stuff Rajn.

Even after the loss I couldn't help but still be happy. After so many dismal seasons I got all I wanted and then some this year.

Henderson: Brees still thinking about loss to Bears

11:17 AM CST on Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Jim Henderson / WWL-TV Sports Director

It's impossible to look at the Chicago Bears this week and not be a little bit jealous. All of us wanted to be in Miami in a different capacity for me that would have been as play-by-play man for the NFC Champions radio team.

Drew Brees high fives some students in Miami at an NFL 'financial football' tent, the idea is to help young people get some financial literacy.

That sentiment is shared by Saints quarterback Drew Brees, who spent Monday afternoon as an NFL pitchman, playing financial football and trying to increase financial literacy among youngsters in concert with an NFL corporate sponsor.

He'd much rather be pitching the case for the NFL's most compelling story this season at all of the interview stations.

Like all of his teammates and Saints fans, Brees is still in mourning in dealing with the sudden finality of their season.

My wife calls it my reintroduction to society, he said. Its just tough to move past it when you get deep into the playoffs like we were and we just feel like it wasn't supposed to be over. It's an abrupt ending and you feel like it wasn't supposed to happen. We were supposed to go all the way.

The introspection and dissection of the loss to the Bears and his contributions to it started on the plane ride home.

That's what the plane ride from Chicago was for, he said. It was to say, what if, what if, what if. I think a big turning point in the game was when we had the opportunity to take the lead. Once down 16-0, we had a chance to make it 17-16 or 21-16. If we get some points to take the lead, maybe the momentum shifts in our favor.

The Bears gambling defensive plan put them in Miami, preparing for a Super Bowl and put Brees in the role of NFL pitchman.

We went to the line of scrimmage with run-pass checks depending on the defense, whether it was zone, man, whatever, he recalled. They played 80 percent man to man, which is very unlike the Bears, but I think the field and weather conditions and those things played a factor in their playing man to man, feeling we wouldn't have the right footing.

While still stinging from the loss, Brees appreciation for the 06 Saints season increases, along with the anticipation of the upcoming season, one in which he would like to end his season as a player in Arizona, site of the 08 Super Bowl.

Edited by myhousekey

Awesome... me and the Mrs.-to-be would probably be on our way out to the Bayou right about now if the Saints woulda pulled it off against my Bearzzz. Would have been a fun party! Now it's just another Sunday at the local sports bar to watch the Monsters rip apart the Fillies. :D