[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Redskins to meet with Russell....?

Goopster24

We're getting close the the time where most teams spin and send out misinformation.

Sure he could fall. Aaron Rogers and SJax both fell very far in their drafts, but I would take any team announcements with a grain of salt.

This is really interesting to me. The Redskins must know something that other teams and fans don't. If Russell was to fall, and the Bears traded up, could they draft him? PURE speculation....

That would be sweet....

Russell is far too unproved IMO. Keep him away from the Bears.

Russell is far too unproved IMO. Keep him away from the Bears.

I am suprised by this statement a little bit. Would you rather have Brady Quinn? I wouldn't. I think Russell's physical gifts are unreal. And he has the leadership ability. People question whether the LSU offense was complex enough and how sometimes he locked on one receiver but I think this guy has stud written all over him. When he gets drafted, he will already have the strongest arm. I have never been a huge judge of that, but still. The guy is big and can throw. He was very accurate in college for the most part. I would LOVE this guy.

Lots of info out there of course, but what does this say about Campbell of Washington?

I am suprised by this statement a little bit. Would you rather have Brady Quinn? I wouldn't. I think Russell's physical gifts are unreal. And he has the leadership ability. People question whether the LSU offense was complex enough and how sometimes he locked on one receiver but I think this guy has stud written all over him. When he gets drafted, he will already have the strongest arm. I have never been a huge judge of that, but still. The guy is big and can throw. He was very accurate in college for the most part. I would LOVE this guy.

Lots of info out there of course, but what does this say about Campbell of Washington?

A lot of what you say was said about Ryan Leaf and Akili Smith. One thing those two have in common is a lack of college starts at the position to gauge those sick physical skills paired with the mental aspect of the game.

I would definitely prefer Quinn, but I don't think he'll fall. Quinn strikes me as a better fit for the Bears because they never have been a chuck the rock team with a scrambling QB. They're best teams are suited to late year (playoff weaher): stifling Defense, and a we're going to run on your ass and you won't stop us. Passing exists as much as it keeps defenses honest, and I think Lovie is well onto his way of striking a solid balance on the offense.

At this point, if any QB need should be addressed they'd be better off taking a late round flyer on someone (Leak?)and focusing on an aging OL. I still like Orton fwiw.

I like Orton a lot too but I am curious to know if you think Quinn is a better fit for the Bears or you truly believe he is more talented and will be the better pro? I think truthfully those are three different things: Fit, talent, and better pro overall. I think Russell proved more against better competition in college. Quinn had luckluster stats in big games and was only "good" when Weis came on board. I think he is athletic but to say he is gonna be more successful pro then Russell, I don't buy that IMO. And Leak? I hate Leak but that might be because I was in Glendale to watch him carve out my Buckeyes.

Instead of gambling on Russell with your first round pick, just go pick up his clone (with a questionable knee) in Daunte Culpepper. Better risk/reward ratio IMO.

What's his value these days? I wouldn't want him. He has character and leadership issues. Angelo wouldn't even think about getting him. It's still all about Grossman! The more I think about it, until Grossman TOTALLY bombs, Angelo will not draft a high round quarterback. Yeah, he might take a later flier.

I like Orton a lot too but I am curious to know if you think Quinn is a better fit for the Bears or you truly believe he is more talented and will be the better pro? I think truthfully those are three different things: Fit, talent, and better pro overall. I think Russell proved more against better competition in college. Quinn had luckluster stats in big games and was only "good" when Weis came on board.

Check out the Russel thread. You do have that wrong. Russell's stats weren't as impressive against the solid D's, whereas Quinn maintained a 3:1 TD/INT ratio.

Also, did Quinn only get good when Weis came on or did he get better as a Jr and Sr under the tutelage of the guy who orchestrated 3 of the last 4 SB winning offense at the time he was hired? It's a little of both.

I think whichever team gets these guys obviously go a long way towards their success. On the Bears, i think itd be a wash as long as JR's talents emerge like everyone expects. He would excel on a team other than the Bears who would utilize him better, like maybe the Eagles.

This discussion is opening my eyes a little bit. I still like Russell but I see the negatives a bit more. Here is a link to show his 2006 games:

Link

He had two bad games, one against Florida and one against Tennessee. Watching some more of his videos, the guy definitely doesn't step into his throws (ala Rex Grossman). His arm strength is ridiculous though, but that's what they said about Michael Vick. Still, I watched a lot of LSU games this past season, and I was very impressed with the way he led that offense overall. Granted, people say it was a easy offense, but he was facing top level defenses. I will agree that Russell is not as much of a "lock" as I sorta though, but I would still love him on the Bears. It won't happen.

Going back to Quinn, I do not buy into him half as much as Russell. There is just something about him that I don't see. His record in college was nothing special if you take away the service academies and Stanford. Bowl games? Nothing special. I was impressed by his grit against USC but still, I just don't see it. He is athletic as any quarterback out there but I can't see him being a successful NFL quarterback. I see him getting beat around. Reminds me of Joey Harrington a little bit, I dunno.

But back to the point, what are the Redskins doing?

Listening to the NFL network on Sirus yesterday afternoon, and they were discussing the possibility of Russell falling. They indicated that had he come out last year he would have been ranked behind Young, Lienart, and Cutler. They also noted that he has had weight issues ala Lendale White. They said at one point in his college career he was up over 300lbs in the off season. You don't see many 300lb QB's in the NFL. I personally prefer Quinn, but not by much. I don't think either of them are worth a top 5 pick.

The skins suck at player management.

I'm sure before draft day we'll trade our 6th over all for 2 picks in the 6th round and a hamburger.

And the rights to some big-name-but-over-the-hill veteran...