[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Football: The Next Level

DMD

Cool, a book. Too bad I don't know how to read.

I am ordering one, using my $5 coupon from Amazon for preordering Mr. Potter.

Can't wait to read this Thanks.

just ordered this rag. it better be good. i've got many hours on a plane to china that i need to kill and i don't want to crack open the laptop and do real work. i'm counting on you dmd.

May you sit between two super models and far away from the screaming babies...

At the risk of continuing to suck up, I have to say that the book has made me understand drafting in a whole new way. The LAG graphs really illustrate the values of players for each league. I've done it for two leagues I'm in and the graphs look very different. I now have a lot more confidence that I can accurately decide the best player to take in each round, instead of just winging it. Best of all, you are looking at a graph instead of trying to figure out a bunch of formulas. It's very intuitive.

Plus it is really easy to read yet jam packed with useful info. I can't recommend the book enough.

Really working this book. I have a question about a BoTH league, Good vs Evil. How can I perform a 3/10/20 analysis with 16 teams?

TIA, DMD.

It's all the same since it is measuring the decline in player value and how positions compare to each other, not how fantasy teams relate to each other. There is typically a top three, a top ten and a top 20 for NFL players in each position which come naturally tiered. In a 16 team league you know that all the positions get drained faster. A LAG is even more important in a bigger league since the first three rounds drains 48 players instead of 36 or 30 players in 12 or 10 team leagues. So when you make your picks, you have to take into account the bang for your buck on those initial picks. Just picture what that graph would look like with the players in their positions removed when your turn comes around.

You can do an anlysis on the league scoring/results using a larger sample than 20 players but the results won't be much different if at all because the lines will continue their decline in the same angle until all starters are gone. The top 20 players represent how positions compare to each other. What you have in a 16 team league is that your first three picks are crucial and akin to the first four rounds in a 12 team draft. After your first three rounds there, you will already be beyond the top values in RB and WR (plus Gates) if not QB as well depending on the league. The important part of a LAG is just knowing how valuable positions are compared to each other and how quickly value declines - which is quickly in a 16 team league.

I have to say, as a 9 year veteran of fantasy football, I found Fantasy Football: The Next Level, to be by far the most purely useful book on the subject I have ever read. Coming from a practical "teach a man to fish" standpoint, the book provides any FF owner, from novice to know-it-all, with many great tools to improve their game. I found the info on the importance and best practices for creating your own projections to be extremely helpful, something I am implementing this season. All is delivered in David's winning, humorous style, which makes for a delightful read. If you haven't already, pick it up.

Expanded review here.

Brown Nose

How did Tim Green come about blurbing the book?

He was an English major in college, as I was, so I've always liked him.

There aren't too many English majors in pro sports.

I have actually met Tim before and in that "small world" sort of way, his wife is good friends with my wife's childhood best friend. Plus Green is an author as well.

Since ChiefDick pointed out that I have not been proactive enough in promoting my new book, I wanted to give you all a quick link to learn a little more about Fantasy Football: The Next Level.

It not only contains a wealth of tips, tools and techniques in an easy to read format, it also makes great gifts for people who are not in your league.

Check it out next time you are near a bookstore! I may be trailing Harry Potter but it ain't over till it's over...

Best of luck DMD, hope ya sell a zillion....will your autograph cost more than Quinn's then??

May you sit between two super models and far away from the screaming babies...

This is always a good thing to wish for.