[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Notes from (Pre-season) #1 USC Camp

Coffeeman

If you can't take the heat in USC, move to the Big12. Now we have only 9 more. He'll probably be the #1 or #2 guy for the Cowpokes next year:

Comments re: Moody move in popular USC blog

Can the first WR to transfer be far behind? In other news, (if you poke around the same blog,) supposedly JD Booty hasn't yet thrown a pick in camp. Cool, but I wonder what the tipped pass count is though.....

LMMFAO, Didnt a Big 12 team beat SC when they were supposedly the best college team ever assembled.

Yes, but Brown hasn't done squat since VY left, has he? And whoever called USC perhaps the best college 'team' ever was off by at least 50%. That is, the offense might have been, but our D was suspect all year. In the game you reference, USC almost won despite: 1) having a D that was vastly inferior to the one that Texas brought, 2) a gimme TD that shouldn't have counted, 3) a big bonehead play by Bush, and 4) a career night by a gifted athlete, VY.

Many are saying USC vs. TX for all the marbles again this year, except for those that have LSU or WV vs. USC. I hope they are right, cuz we're not bringing the same O as last time, but the D is much improved. Would be a nice rematch v. TX....

LMMFAO, Didnt a Big 12 team beat SC when they were supposedly the best college team ever assembled.

nope, VY beat em, SC beats that tem 7/10 times- props to VY, but he put the Horns on his back and pulled out a gutsy win, that ain't happening on most days.

:D NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE BIG 12

Yes, but Brown hasn't done squat since VY left, has he? And whoever called USC perhaps the best college 'team' ever was off by at least 50%. That is, the offense might have been, but our D was suspect all year. In the game you reference, USC almost won despite: 1) having a D that was vastly inferior to the one that Texas brought, 2) a gimme TD that shouldn't have counted, 3) a big bonehead play by Bush, and 4) a career night by a gifted athlete, VY.

Many are saying USC vs. TX for all the marbles again this year, except for those that have LSU or WV vs. USC. I hope they are right, cuz we're not bringing the same O as last time, but the D is much improved. Would be a nice rematch v. TX....

Texas D wasn't all that good. It is just that calsouth was vastly oveerated after dominating a 4th rate conference.

Texas D wasn't all that good. It is just that calsouth was vastly oveerated after dominating a 4th rate conference.

:D Oh brother. If USC and TX had switched Ds that day, the score wouldn't have even been close. USC in a blow out.......

:D Oh brother. If USC and TX had switched Ds that day, the score wouldn't have even been close. USC in a blow out.......

aTm's high school option offense did more damage to TU than calsouth did.

aTm's high school option offense did more damage to TU than calsouth did.

You mean the 2005 game vs. TX A&M, that TX won 40-29 in 2005, vs. the 41-38 Rose Bowl win over USC? Hmm...

When you return to reality - take your meds, get some sleep, learn basic math, whatever you need to do - we can continue our discussion/debate. I'll wait for you.... :D

VY saw 1 (ohio state) of the 2 best defenses (the other being penn state) that year, and beat them in their house... no one stops Vince Young that night, HOWEVER, coffe references some fair points in that game. I really don't think switching defenses woulda made much of a difference, I'm sure Longhorn defensive players didn't exactly jump at the opporutunity to face off against Vincent Young every day in practice, I'm sure he made more than his fair share look silly in practice too. Texas made one stop in the game, other than that, they were helpless just like any other team USC faced that year. I think USC might have won with Texas' defense, but I don't think it would be a blow out.

nope, VY beat em, SC beats that tem 7/10 times- props to VY, but he put the Horns on his back and pulled out a gutsy win, that ain't happening on most days.

Wot crap: UT was down by 12 with under 6 to play. If coffee wants to start trotting out his excuses, let's slide back to Bush's illegal push of Leinert in October at South Bend and USC isn't in the Rose Bowl later. But that's as irrelevant as his laundry list of University of Spoiled Children excuses.

Instead, UT gets down by 12, and not only can the USC defense not stop VY and he beats them single-handedly but he plays defense all of a sudden too and prevents 2 Heisman Trophy winners from scoring again over the course of the last 6 minutes.

2 teams played that game, and it's closer to a 50/50 with those squads. People forget that the previous year's Rose Bowl that UT also won was just as exciting, and gave the Horns the mental makeup to roll back in as the defending Rose Bowl champs and not get caught in the glitz that happens with road teams vs Pac 10 teams.

This Onion article says it all: http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/?p=1579

You mean the 2005 game vs. TX A&M, that TX won 40-29 in 2005, vs. the 41-38 Rose Bowl win over USC? Hmm...

When you return to reality - take your meds, get some sleep, learn basic math, whatever you need to do - we can continue our discussion/debate. I'll wait for you.... :D

Don't sweat it Cofeeman ... everyone wants to try to beat down the best Collegiate team over the last 5-6 years. They all know that USC has the BEST program in College football. Let the envy continue ............................... :D

Wot crap: UT was down by 12 with under 6 to play. If coffee wants to start trotting out his excuses, let's slide back to Bush's illegal push of Leinert in October at South Bend and USC isn't in the Rose Bowl later. But that's as irrelevant as his laundry list of University of Spoiled Children excuses.

My point was not to make excuses; the point was that ESPN and others were just wrong at saying USC was such a great 'team'. Just the offense was great, not the D, and the offense (and Coach Carroll and his staff) weren't perfect either. Failing on two critical 4th and short gambles - not good. No excuses - TX and VY beat us that night, end of story.

As far as alleged cheating in the ND game, how about cutting the friggin grass there once in awhile? What a blatant attempt to make up for having a slow team. If I were Desmond Reed, I'd hold Fatty and the ND admin responsible for the bad leg injury he suffered.

Whatever pope - you guys get another shot at USC in your house this year. Let's see if my co-worker's nephew (new QB Clausen) can help you out. Should be a good one....

Just got an email from Pete Carroll inviting me to the free scrimmage tonight - along with a couple million other people, I'm sure. I think he heard about Saban getting 92,000 to the Tide's last open scrimmage, and wants to keep up.

But I'm looking forward to it - to see if the D is as nasty as they say it is. If Booty & Co. can move the ball on them though, I'm not sure what I should take from it....

LMAO, Football is bigger in Texas and the Big 12, than it is in the Left coast.

And whats said, is one player can single handedly beat what was considered the best college team ever. Seriously, SC knew what was coming with Vince, and couldnt stop him. That and the fact SC coaching staff screwed the pooch when it went for it on 4th down, and gave the ball back to Vince in great shape, rather than punt and make him go the full length of the field.

And whats said, is one player can single handedly beat what was considered the best college team ever. Seriously, SC knew what was coming with Vince, and couldnt stop him. That and the fact SC coaching staff screwed the pooch when it went for it on 4th down, and gave the ball back to Vince in great shape, rather than punt and make him go the full length of the field.

whatever, I know football is all y'all got inTexas- more power to ya. Left coast has alot more stuff goin on to be all about foootball - and still...........

PAC 10 dominates the Big 12 in every fashion. football, basketball, baseball, National Championships, academics. period.

Have to agree with football being bigger in TX than in CA - did someone really question that?

USC's D sucked that year, relatively speaking, vs. the prior 2 years - see the ND game. And knowing that is why they went for it on 4th and short - missed winning the game by a lousy foot. Even if they'd punted, VY probably would've just made up the extra yards - we couldn't stop him.

The only possible way you could say they 'screwed' it up was not having Bush on the field as a distraction/potential decoy. Everyone in the building knew where White was gonna go, and the TX D (Huff I think,) was good enuf to stop it. End of story...

Talk to a guy in the know within the LSU program, he claims Matt Flynn is a potentially better college QB than the great JaMarcus Russell. Flynn may not have all athletic skills of JaMarcus but he has the intangibles to lead LSU to yet another BCS National Championship.

:D LSU is loaded!!!

Matt's older brother Adam and I have known each other since birth. Matt played for the same H.S. I did though over a decade later. I know Matt, and while he is a very cerebral QB, and has some skills, he just doesn't have the athletic ability to be a big time college QB. Don't get me wrong, he will do alright, and he won't cost LSU any games, but he isn't going to win them any either.

Matt's older brother Adam and I have known each other since birth. Matt played for the same H.S. I did though over a decade later. I know Matt, and while he is a very cerebral QB, and has some skills, he just doesn't have the athletic ability to be a big time college QB. Don't get me wrong, he will do alright, and he won't cost LSU any games, but he isn't going to win them any either.

Hey now, this is some serious insider scoop. Who else do you know - anyone on the Gators? Anything that can help with some bets ? :D

Just got an email from Pete Carroll inviting me to the free scrimmage tonight - along with a couple million other people, I'm sure. I think he heard about Saban getting 92,000 to the Tide's last open scrimmage, and wants to keep up.

But I'm looking forward to it - to see if the D is as nasty as they say it is. If Booty & Co. can move the ball on them though, I'm not sure what I should take from it....

Follow up - only about 19-20K there last night. For some reason, Carroll chose to have the 1s go vs. 2s all night. Booty and esp. the RBs looked good, but who knows they'd do vs the D1. Oh well...and Chauncey Washington got his shoulder dinged up - not good. Luckily Stafon Johnson picked up the slack and looked great. Good thing we have a ton of RBs...

Mike McDonald looks very capable as the #2 QB, going vs. the D1 all night. Corp and Mustain got in a few throws at the end, but neither will see the field this year, I'm guessing. (Mustain can't anyway.) Didn't see Dirty Sanchez all night.

Kickoffs from the 30 now seem to make every one returnable. More excitement, that's for sure.

Someone said that Booty has thrown over 400 passes in camp (practices and scrimmages) w/o an INT, but no word on # of tipped/batted down passes. He threw a couple right into the backs of his targets - they were open but not turned around. Someone blew it, probably not him.

Rey Malaluga is a beast, seemed to be everywhere. And appears to be attempting to grow his hair longer than Polamalu, and he really likes covering kickoffs. LoJack and Ellis looked good on the line.

Biggest impression made: the coed talent all around me. Weather was warm and the hotties were out in force. Tried not to stare when my boys were watching me, (and wife stayed home, thankfully.) Damn, wish I was back in college....