[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baltimore - Houston game

Grits and Shins

I only carry one defense in many leagues too. That's because in 16 years of playing FF I have never had my entire team defense injured and not been available to me the night before the game.

See this isn't fair, although I'm biased and in the same boat. The fairest thing is to let the league vote on it. I can't imagine someone voting down that you can't pick up another defence.

Especially since the only free agent Defenses all pretty much suck anyway, but at least they probably wouldn't be zero points.

Correct me if I'm wrong ... but if you only carry one defense weren't you going to have to eventually get a defense off the waiver wire to cover your off week? Billy in your 16 years of FF haven't you had to cover the off week for you defense every year? Most leagues probably don't have to do anything to handle this specific situation ... owners have to make moves they normally would have to make anyway.

In come cases the league has to make some adjustments to allow owners to acquire free agents. In one of my leagues owners are only allowed to make 2 moves a week. Some owners had already made both of their moves not knowing they would have to pick up another player to cover a new bye week issue. As commissioner I allowed these owners to pick up players ... however, I stipulated that any player picked up HAD to be played this week. There was and is no need to expand anybody's roster.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy in your 16 years of FF haven't you had to cover the off week for you defense every year?

Yep, every year, but I was able to plan that out ahead of time. Not have this thrust on me less then 24 hours before Sundays games start.

This is a very unique situation. That may require some unique solutions. Not your usual pig-headed close minded situation. :wacko:

Correct me if I'm wrong ... but if you only carry one defense weren't you going to have to eventually get a defense off the waiver wire to cover your off week? Billy in your 16 years of FF haven't you had to cover the off week for you defense every year? Most leagues probably don't have to do anything to handle this specific situation ... owners have to make moves they normally would have to make anyway.

/quote]

Yes but there are also leagues that only allow two pickups or don't allow pickups till after a certain week or only on certain days. At this point should we have to draft two kickers and defences in case of natural disasters?

Yep, every year, but I was able to plan that out ahead of time. Not have this thrust on me less then 24 hours before Sundays games start.

This is a very unique situation. That may require some unique solutions. Not your usual pig-headed close minded situation. :wacko:

:D

It helps to have 3 weeks versus 24 hours when you are picking some scrub defense up off waivers. I call bullmanure ... you are looking to gain an advantage.

All of you guys that are whining about owners that have planned our their bye weeks and what not ... are you also advocating that everybody with Cincy players also get special dispensation because their bye changed?

I (commish) had to do something different because our leagues waivers are all blind bidding (real dollar), with first 'round' ending on weds, 2nd on thurs. So no pickups available.

I stated that you can either take last weeks points from a player, or treat as bye. Thankfully it's Hou and Bal, so the impact is light, but my team and another have Daniels/Brown and no backup at that position, so get last weeks points. Johnsons is the only real issue to me.

It's absolutely ridiculous to allow someone to take last weeks points. This is not last week. If I were in this league and the commissioner came out with this ruling, I'd quit this league and join a better ran one.

It's absolutely ridiculous to allow someone to take last weeks points. This is not last week. If I were in this league and the commissioner came out with this ruling, I'd quit this league and join a better ran one.

That is a horrible solution as it basically means that HOU and BAL players do not have a bye week. That solution may be worse than the commissioner resetting everybody's lineups for them removing all HOU/BAL players and inserting other players based on some arbitrary idea of who should start.

Luckily for most...being Houston/Balt....the effects on most leagues are probably minimal.

What kind of headaches would this have caused if it was the Dallas/Philly game being postponed? :wacko:

Tell that to the guys that were planning on starting DeMeco Ryans in a double header week :D

i am without a TE this week due to the last minute change...cant trade for one because we are past our 48 hour cutoff...cant hit the waiver wire because we process blind bids once a week(wed.)

Here's the deal. NO OTHER PLAYERS ARE OFF IN WEEK 2. So if they had plans in place to cover the off weeks of their BAL and HOU players than those plans were not impacted. So my statement is true ... he is no worse off having AJohnson off in week 2 than he is in having AJohnson off in week 10.

fwiw, some leagues have double headers scheduled during NON BYE weeks...so it is impactful

fwiw, some leagues have double headers scheduled during NON BYE weeks...so it is impactful

In the one league that I am in with a double header the double header is always scheduled for week 11 - the week after all byes are completed. This seemed to make more sense than doing it in the first 3 weeks.

It seems reasonable to push the double header to week 3 or week 11 in your league.

Tell that to the guys that were planning on starting DeMeco Ryans in a double header week :wacko:

I'm in the same boat. Bad break.

i am without a TE this week due to the last minute change...cant trade for one because we are past our 48 hour cutoff...cant hit the waiver wire because we process blind bids once a week(wed.)

This also sucks. I would waive the cutoff if I'm the commish, but would also see how many others are really affected by this before I made the ruling.

Again, moving the DH would be worth considering, but I'd think this would first have to be written into the rules that the commish can do this without a league vote.

I guess what I'm saying is this game we play is so strewn with luck...injuries, weather, Westbrook sliding at the 2 last year.....you just have to roll with it, and let it just be one week, and hope your team(s) are good enough over the course of the year to overcome any bad luck you get from this one week.

My local has a rule that if you start a player on a bye, you can't start that player for the next two weeks. If you start the player during the two week probationary period the player's score will be changed to 0.

Sucks having to make roster moves on a tight roster this early in the season. My worst player is J. Fargas. Not a horrible loss but I really didn't want to let him go before McFadden has the majority of the carries. Heck he could put up solid numbers for the rest of the year if DMC never emerges. Then on the flip side I help a team in desperate need for a RB, but if I waited a few weeks I could trade Fargas to a struggling team and help fill a void in my team. That's the part I hate the worst, having to drop a mediocre player that I could have used to force desperate owners into a tough choice.

My local has a rule that if you start a player on a bye, you can't start that player for the next two weeks. If you start the player during the two week probationary period the player's score will be changed to 0.

Sucks having to make roster moves on a tight roster this early in the season. My worst player is J. Fargas. Not a horrible loss but I really didn't want to let him go before McFadden has the majority of the carries. Heck he could put up solid numbers for the rest of the year if DMC never emerges. Then on the flip side I help a team in desperate need for a RB, but if I waited a few weeks I could trade Fargas to a struggling team and help fill a void in my team. That's the part I hate the worst, having to drop a mediocre player that I could have used to force desperate owners into a tough choice.

That rule needs a one time waiver due to act of nature.

The good thing about the bye is it's week 2. If it was another week it would screw up teams. Hopefully we won't have any more hurricanes this year.

In a similar league I announced a one time act of nature waiver run.

I love my free Yahoo league more and more. Our deadline for adds / drops is 1/2 hour before kickoff on Sunday. My opponent has McGehee still in his lineup as of right now...........and he's got S. Young on the bench. There will be no excuse if he doesn't make that switch before gametime.

I had to bench D. Mason for R. Curry. :wacko:

Here's the deal. NO OTHER PLAYERS ARE OFF IN WEEK 2. So if they had plans in place to cover the off weeks of their BAL and HOU players than those plans were not impacted. So my statement is true ... he is no worse off having AJohnson off in week 2 than he is in having AJohnson off in week 10.

If waivers aren't open, he is worse off - he didn't have the option to prepare for Johnson's bye week during waivers. That's my problem, and running an extra waiver for the week is out of the question because with the blind bidding, any waiver period that not all 10 owners have a good way to participate isn't the same. For us, luckily, the impacts are minimal