[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Matt Jones

tazinib1

Are you guys f'ing serious?

It's actually pretty simple. If you have a coke problem, you're a hell of a lot more likely to fall off that wagon if you're drunk. This is not rocket science and also not just some random punishment that probation puts on people to be mean or draconian. It's because you're a hell of a lot more likely to stay the path if you're entirely sober.

I've got an old friend who went through drug court. It saved his life and I was so happy to see him for the first time in years last month. His coke problem, like so many others wasn't just a coke problem, it was an aversion to being sober problem. You've got to kick all that stuff at once. No looking back. End of story.

And Royal, your whole argument is f'ing lame. Sure Beer and NFL go together but it's not a new revelation that some people can drink and others can't.

This is spot on!

ETA: Jones signed the agreement to stay out of jail. He knew he wasn't supposed to drink. Royals argument here is completely off base.

He drank knowing he could be caught but apparently didn't care. Now he serves the consequences.

Edited by tbimm

This is spot on!

ETA: Jones signed the agreement to stay out of jail. He knew he wasn't supposed to drink. Royals argument here is completely off base.

He drank knowing he could be caught but apparently didn't care. Now he serves the consequences.

My argument is that he won't be suspended. Did I miss something? Has Goodell handed down a suspension already? :wacko:

My opinion is my own. Doesn't matter if you agree. LAME would be he who is holier than thou on a message board...

And for the record, those "consequences" are similar to those of Bradshaw and Barkley, and aren't really consequences. Million dollar athletes can afford a few days in the clink with no further punishment and not bat an eyelash.

My argument is that he won't be suspended. Did I miss something? Has Goodell handed down a suspension already? :wacko:

My opinion is my own. Doesn't matter if you agree. LAME would be he who is holier than thou on a message board...

And for the record, those "consequences" are similar to those of Bradshaw and Barkley, and aren't really consequences. Million dollar athletes can afford a few days in the clink with no further punishment and not bat an eyelash.

Why single me out? I wasn't even the 1st to call your argument poor.

Oh and for the record I think he will be further suspended for this action. JMO

I'm pretty much holier than nobody. More correct than thou? That might better fit the description.

As to "lame". I would think a fine description of that is to make an argument, as you did. Base that argument on something that appears rather thin, and then retreat to "it's just an opinion" when someone calls your argument "lame".

IIRC, you implied that it would be hypocritical for Goodell to suspend Jones for breaking the terms of probation he's on due to drug violations. Apparently because Goodell is trying to sell beer to those of us who aren't on probation for using blow. Sorry, but that's a pretty lame argument.

You might be an otherwise bright guy who's typically on point. You're just wrong this time. Sorry.

If he lands in the right situation (Philly, Indy etc.) he could post major numbers. If he is suspended by the NFL I doubt it will be more than 4 games. I think being away from the Jags may increase his value. Yes I think he DOES have value.

If he lands in the right situation (Philly, Indy etc.) he could post major numbers. If he is suspended by the NFL I doubt it will be more than 4 games. I think being away from the Jags may increase his value. Yes I think he DOES have value.

I'm guessing you own this guy in a dynasty league? I realize that there have been guys that managed to be productive pros despite being coke heads who can't lay off the juice after they're busted, but let's just say that, were I a GM, I might not be looking to roll the dice.

I'm guessing you own this guy in a dynasty league? I realize that there have been guys that managed to be productive pros despite being coke heads who can't lay off the juice after they're busted, but let's just say that, were I a GM, I might not be looking to roll the dice.

I don't own him anywhere, but I tend to agree with sac's assessment. He started to come on last year, and if he's cheap enough SOMEONE (Jerry Jones?) will buy.

I'm pretty much holier than nobody. More correct than thou? That might better fit the description.

As to "lame". I would think a fine description of that is to make an argument, as you did. Base that argument on something that appears rather thin, and then retreat to "it's just an opinion" when someone calls your argument "lame".

IIRC, you implied that it would be hypocritical for Goodell to suspend Jones for breaking the terms of probation he's on due to drug violations. Apparently because Goodell is trying to sell beer to those of us who aren't on probation for using blow. Sorry, but that's a pretty lame argument.

You might be an otherwise bright guy who's typically on point. You're just wrong this time. Sorry.

Nobody retreated. I merely stated my original point of my doubts on a suspension. No need to repeat myself about WHY, once already stated. Or are you of such short attention that you need that sort of thing?

The FACT is Jones was already suspended for the original arrest (drug charges), which either you didn't know or chose to overlook to make your point. Suspending him again, on those charges, would be redundant and unprecedented. Now he could suspend him for the "probabtion violation", which as I have stated has yet to take place in the case of Bradshaw or any other player to my knowledge, as most of Goodell's suspensions tend to involve "new" infractions. If he chooses to suspend him for this violation (which IS violating probation by drinking a beer), then he is in essence suspending him for drinking a beer. I still maintain this won't happen.

"Apparently because Goodell is trying to sell beer to those of us who aren't on probation for using blow"

Are you so naive? Not knowing the multimillion dollar contributions of beer industry sponsors to professional football? It's a valid argument, now being debated on ESPN TV and radio programming. Hmmm maybe not so lame....

Doesn't alcohol clear your system pretty quickly? Wouldn't that have meant that he was drinking a fair amounr the day before in order for it to show up on the test?

Ive always been told it takes your body one hour to process 1 drink worth of alcohol. They try to instill the 0-0-1-3 rule in the Air Force...some like 0 drinks if your driving, no more than one drink an hour and no more than 3 drinks total. Ive pretty much ammended that to be try and drink one per hour, no more than 3 or 4 beers if im driving, and drink diet coke at the end...works for me so far :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...
Rumors have Matt Jones possibly going to Dallas? :D That soap opera never dies does it.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives...-plan-if-j.html

Could Matt Jones be a fallback plan if Jets steal Miles Austin?

4:46 PM Thu, Apr 09, 2009

Tim MacMahon

The Cowboys want to keep Miles Austin, but the Jets can make that very difficult to do if they put a poison pill in their contract offer to the restricted free agent.

If that happens, the Cowboys get the Jets' second-round pick (52nd overall), and then what?

Todd Archer took a look at the likelihood of finding an immediate impact receiver in the second round.

Another option would be to sign troubled ex-Jaguar Matt Jones to a low-risk contract.

There was speculation that Jerry Jones would go after his fellow ex-Razorback as soon as the Jaguars released Jones, a 2005 first-round pick who has had a disappointing career and is dealing with legal troubles stemming from a drug arrest. That hasn't happened.

But the 6-6, 218-pound Jones, who has sub-4.4 speed, might be worth a shot if the Cowboys can't keep the guy they're counting on to be their big, fast field-stretching receiver.

Looks like Matt Jones may still be an option for my Boys and we all know JJ loves ex-Razorback players, especially if they like drugs or guns. :wacko:

Considering the Bungles are trying to set a record for signing players that have been arrested more often than making the Pro Bowl, I am SHOCKED they havent signed Reggie Williams and matt Jones yet . . .

I hear they've been looking at Bernard Scott. :wacko:

• 1 month later...

Eh-hum!

(KFFL) Chris Mortensen, of ESPN.com, reports Dave Butz, agent for unrestricted free-agent WR Matt Jones (Jaguars), said the NFL told Jones he would be fined but not suspended as a result of his violation of a court-mandated drug program. Jones violated the drug program when he drank alcohol during an outing. Jones has been fined $50,000 but is appealing the fine.

Someone will sign him before training camp (Cowboys?).

Edited by ROYALWITCHEESE

Eh-hum!

Someone will sign him before training camp (Cowboys?).

There's already been speculation in regard to the Boys bringing him in, so that wouldn't shock me one bit.

I hope CHI takes a look at him.

That would be the best spot as far as the team, and his fantasy value IMO. He would immediately start there, potentially as their #1. With Cutler throwing to him, he could have some big games. Jones, Olsen, and Hester in the slot. That would be a decent offense, or at least a major upgrade from what it currently looks like...