[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My Lions fouled it up

Furd

Imagine that. :tup:

The end of the first round is approaching and there is a lot of talent on the board. Clausen. McCoy Kindle. Hughes. Saffold. Pat Robinson. Darryl Washington. Charles Brown. They are going to get one of them (other than Clausen/McCoy) at the second pick at the second round. If Clausen dropped to that pick, I'm pretty sure that they could make a decent trade with somebody, less so with McCoy.

So what do they do? They move 5 spots up, relinquished their second round pick, swapped their 4th round pick (dropping 28 spots) and a 7th round pick for a a guy that they likely could have picked up with their existing second round pick. (Barring a trade, Minnesota was probably the only team that would have picked him, given that INDY, NOS and STL were the other teams between the picks.) Throw in that Best is a smaller back with a history of concussions and the Lions get a :wacko:

Darryl Washington was the pick at that spot.

:tup:

Imagine that. :tup:

The end of the first round is approaching and there is a lot of talent on the board. Clausen. McCoy Kindle. Hughes. Saffold. Pat Robinson. Darryl Washington. Charles Brown. They are going to get one of them (other than Clausen/McCoy) at the second pick at the second round. If Clausen dropped to that pick, I'm pretty sure that they could make a decent trade with somebody, less so with McCoy.

So what do they do? They move 5 spots up, relinquished their second round pick, swapped their 4th round pick (dropping 28 spots) and a 7th round pick for a a guy that they likely could have picked up with their existing second round pick. (Barring a trade, Minnesota was probably the only team that would have picked him, given that INDY, NOS and STL were the other teams between the picks.) Throw in that Best is a smaller back with a history of concussions and the Lions get a :wacko:

Darryl Washington was the pick at that spot.

:tup:

Because I believe they did a good job at the draft last year I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt on that move. Besides with all the moves that go on during the draft there is no guarentee who is picking before you while you wait for your turn to come up. Right now I'm still too geeked about the Suh pick to put a damper on the draft.

they didn't give up that much. move down in the 4th, and lose a 7th. not exactly a hugh price to pay to ensure you get your guy.

That was kind of my thought. I think they wanted a CB/RB and Best was the last person they had at the high grade mark so they made a move. With this new format, there is quite a bit of craziness that could happen overnight with someone trading up to grab the person they want. Maybe a 7th and dropping 20 some spots in the 4th was worth making sure they got a guy they were after. I mean, we all know K. Smith isn't going to be 100% for the beginning of the season and he might not be the final answer at RB anyway. Detroit (at least on paper) looks to be much improved over last year. Adding Suh, KVB, and Williams on the D line, Sheffler at TE, Burleson at WR#2 and Best at RB I think they are on the right track. This team had so many holes to fill that it will take a few years of FA + draft to be really competitive but I like the moves since the Mayhew era began.

That was kind of my thought. I think they wanted a CB/RB and Best was the last person they had at the high grade mark so they made a move. With this new format, there is quite a bit of craziness that could happen overnight with someone trading up to grab the person they want. Maybe a 7th and dropping 20 some spots in the 4th was worth making sure they got a guy they were after. I mean, we all know K. Smith isn't going to be 100% for the beginning of the season and he might not be the final answer at RB anyway. Detroit (at least on paper) looks to be much improved over last year. Adding Suh, KVB, and Williams on the D line, Sheffler at TE, Burleson at WR#2 and Best at RB I think they are on the right track. This team had so many holes to fill that it will take a few years of FA + draft to be really competitive but I like the moves since the Mayhew era began.

If not for the Packers and Vikings, I could see this team winning 8 games this year. I predict 6-10, 7-9 in 2010. It's easy to see what a difference a coaching staff and a real GM can do.