[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone Taking the Year Off?

McBoog

I was thinking about doing this very thing but then Chief pretty much summed up my feelings. I am certainly no where near as obsessive about FF as I used to be though.

I know with the internet, it is easier to keep leagues together from a distance. But, the one I ran for a decade suddenly had a lot of turnover and then I got transferred to DC. I took a year off and came back energized and excited. That new league kind of fell apart and I am so busy at work, I figured I could really look at finding another league next year when I know there was going to be football. I guess I got so caught up in the family, my job and my church, I didn't think much about FF until now.

I have 20 years + in playing FF and it just isn't as important as it used to be. I remember when the 10-minute ticker was my only lifeline to any idea of what was going on. Even the nightly recap didn't get you all the stats and the only time you really had a clue was when you got the paper the next morning. Everything was done by hand, usually in an Excel spreadsheet and results were mailed or faxed. It also made Monday night more exciting because you could track more closely what all the players were doing. It still wasn't official until the paper the next morning. I actually kind of miss that. :tup:

If I found a great group of guys like Chief said, that would make it worth while. But, playing for the sake of playing is just not that interesting anymore. And this is coming from a guy that had 18 teams one year... a long, long time ago. :wacko:

Can't take a joke I see. :wacko:

If that came off in a bad way, I apologize. I know you take a lot of heat on these boards. It is just that you remind me of how I used to be and how it consumed my life. Therefore, your comment ended up making my point. At some point it just becomes too much.

Good luck this year and have a great time! :tup:

At this point in my life, I play the leagues I do because of the people in them, not because of FF.

Ironically, part of the reason I quit my old school league was that, for as little as I talked to the guys (having moved x-country), I didn't want those few times to be bickering over whether Colston was a TE or not.

An otherwise laid back group of friends and FF just brought out the worst in all of us. Every year since, I've gotten at least one call from one of them telling me the latest drama. Jebus! It's a freaking game!

As for McBoog, it looks like I'm back after a few years off. Yes, it is nice to just watch a freaking game and not worry about whether your kicker just scored. I'm hoping to maintain a bit more perspective than I have in the past this time around. For instance, I'm going to test this revolutionary theory I've been working on. My hypothesis is that I don't actually have to watch each and every game, lap-top at the ready to manically check other games in order for my guys to do well. This could all blow up in my face, but I'm going to see if my guys will do just as well if I'm out on a ride or something during game time. Call me crazy.

About three years ago I retired from my local dynasty as well as my two bigger money leagues. Now the only league I do is a $10 work league. Haven't had as much fun with a league or watching football in 15 years. The little things, like good teams and good games are important again and fun to watch, regardless of who I might have in that game from my fantasy team. I'm too competitive to completely walk away, but I'll never play in a big money league or any kind of keeper league ever again. I know this is off-topic and really has nothing to do with the lockout. I do find myself caring less about the NFL than I used to, but this is because I've finally realized that 75% of them take massive amounts of HGH. I want to watch great athletes, not synthetic ones. Same reason I don't watch baseball anymore, which was my whole life for 20 years. At least I've still got my NBA. Oh wait, it went to OKC. Go Huskies!

At this point in my life, I play the leagues I do because of the people in them, not because of FF.

Same here. I am down to one league and is with 11 guys I went to high school with. Its nice to see everyone at the draft and then talk some smack throughout the season. if not for the league I would not see some of these guys for years, if ever. So for that reason I stay with FF. Someday when my kids are older and out of the house, I may get more into it.

Once the CBA is ratified the boards will light up again. It will be nice to break down signings, rank the players, etc.

Personally our city got it's NHL team back and it was natural to put football on the back-burner. But like most of you I simply cannot imagine watching the games Sunday without a FF lineup or 3.

I've only been playing FF for 2 years (this coming year will be my third) and I must be on the up swing. I actually want to find another league or 2 (with the right people) The lockout has put a damper on my search but I'm hoping to be able to play in 2 leagues this year.

I understand how some people need to step away from FF. They are too competitive and become too obsessed with the game. The past year I was working every Sunday (delivering pizza to everyone watching football....) so I had to listen to the Browns and got to check my FF team on my cell during my break... This year I'm going to be able to watch game and my FF team in action. Still only think I'm going to watch 2 games a Sunday at most.

I play in between 8-12 leagues a year. At that point, I pretty much either own or play against every player every week anyways, so I dont sweat it on Sundays. I just enjoy the game, and whatever happens in the leagues . . happens. :wacko: Plus I go to around 4-6 games a year, so second to second scoring is not very important to me.

Now Sunday morning setting lineups gets stressful with church taking up time. . but that is another story. :tup:

3 years ago I lost about $50. 2 years ago I made about $100. Last year I made just over $1000. Can't stop now I'm due to go up $10k. =)

In addition to money I like football and I like competition, and this form is available on my couch 24 hours a day. I'll keep playing as long as I can afford it.

Edited by mrip

I took 2009 off because I was in like 8 leagues before that and got kind of burnt out. I was spending too much time on FF sites and also there was an incident with a shady commish that put a bad taste in my mouth. I didn't miss it at all, just enjoyed watching the games. I played in 2 leagues last year and had a great time, even though I put off my draft prep until the last minute and got my ass handed to me in both leagues where in the past I was obsessive and almost always made the playoffs.

Honestly, between the lockout and planning a move, I have paid very little attention to football and probably won't have time to do much draft prep. My preference would be to take this year off but I'm doing 3 leagues because one is a keeper, one is a good friend's local league in Atlanta that he invited me to join and the other is just a unique format that I like a lot and don't want to lose my spot.