[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best way to do playoffs....

Slugs3511

The best playoff format I have ever seen was one that was played during the playoffs. STATS Fantasy Football used this setup. STATS would give each player on playoff teams a value(in points), the better players having higher values. Every playoff week you comprised a new team of the players playing that weekend. You had a set amount of points to spend, and had to fill every position in your lineup while not exceeding your total allowed. If you had that player on your roster at the end of the year, you got a 50% discount. It was conceivable that two teams could be exactly alike, but not likely. This system eliminated all the studs playing a half game in week 17 due to having their playiff spots already wrapped up, etc. Hands down this was the best playoff format I've ever played in. Oh, and in a 12 team league, the top four made it. Three division winners and one wildcard.

Sounds interesting, except the playoffs then have NOTHING to do with the teams the owners have assembled during the regular season. Which just seems kind of :wacko:

PS Most fantasy leagues do not have their playoffs going on in week 17 (the most likely to have playres sitting).

I've never understood the point of divisions in FF. They make sense in real football because you're selling the product to spectators, so you need to develop regional rivalries and such. I suppose if your league has been going on for a long time, you might develop division rivalries, but I've never known anyone to take pride in anything more than bringing home the money at the end of the year.

I guess I just can't see getting all that excited about being "Division Champs" in FF. I remember the seasons I've won it all... barely.

So, in essence, they're nothing but arbitrary groupings that do little besides contribute to the chance of the wrong teams making the play-offs.

My favorite set-up is my 14-team league. One division, everyone plays each other one time over the first 13 weeks, top six make the playoffs during weeks 14-16.

If you have a 12-team league, there's really no way to have a balanced schedule without divisions. If everyone is in the same division, then you have everyone play each other once, and then each team faces a few of the other teams a second time. Why is that less arbitrary than assigning divisions?

2 divisions of 6. First 11 games, each team plays each other once. In weeks 12 and 13, the bottom 8 play each other in a combined 2 week playoff to see who goes to week 14, and the top 2 in each division get byes for weeks 12 and 13. The real playoffs start in week 14 and end in week 16. Big money is paid to the top 2 points leaders at the end of week 17, and 25% is the payout for the SB. No matter how bad your team did during the year, you'll have 2 weeks of playoff games and a chance to win the SB... every year, everyone is in it, so no one stops trying. The fun part of this is those 2 weeks are fun no matter what and the money is paid to the teams that score the most points. / :wacko:

I prefer the 3 divisions in a 12 team league. Creates division rivalries, and your division games have more meaning than the non-division games. 3 division winners make the playoffs and 1 wild card. Yes sometimes some luck goes into it as once in awhile a the Seahawks make the playoffs, but in about 25 seasons across 3 different leagues, only once has a losing team made it, but really no different than real sports.

The division winners get paid out. It also creates division rivalries as we keep the same divisions year after year, in both the redraft or the dynasty leagues.

Seems everybody has their own opinion on divisions, but at least most of us agree that more than 50% making the playoffs is worthless.

I do have a league where 8 out of 12 make the playoffs. Its got a tight salary cap, so at draft day, I only look for cheap guys, and guys with easy playoff schedules, since I can safely assume I make it in every year. But it really sucks when the 8 seed who won 5 games all year beats the 1. It also takes the excitement out of watching the scores as the games are going. Winning and losing each week isn't important.

12 teams, 3 divisions. play teams in your division twice, everyone else once. one double-header week each year. 6 teams make the play-offs. 3 division winners and 3 wildcards, reseed for matchups. playoffs are weeks 14,15,16 . top 2 seeded teams get a bye week 14.

I agree that it's something more suited for dynasty/keepers leagues, to establish rivalries with teams who retain a good bit of their rosters from year to year.... Redraft leagues, not so much...

But why do you think 10 teams works better than 12 teams for divisions? With 12 teams (3 divisions), you can have each team play eachother twice (6 games), but still play all but one in the league for 7 games (unless you throw in a double-header one week or only have 4 playoff spots/2 playoff weeks to play every one). With 10 teams, you're limited to 2 divisions and end up playing 8 of your games in division, and only 5 out of division. Not nearly as balanced between division games and non-division opponents.

As per playoffs, this is how we do it in my local, and how I prefer to do it: 4 teams, 3 divisions, 6 playoff spots. Yes, it'd be nice to make the season more meaningful with only 4 making the playoffs, but it does retain interest to be in that top half... The 3 division winners are the top seeds, with the top 2 getting 1st round byes. Then we have a points-leader spot to help make sure a team doesn't get screwed by hitting teams on their hot weeks, and finally 2 wild cards... This tends to do a pretty good job of putting the msot deserving teams in the playoffs.

Also, this year I'm taking a suggestion from this forum and we'll be doing a toilet bowl with the bottom 6 teams, to compete for the 1st pick next year. This should hopefully help to keep even the bottom dwellers motivated.

Oops, you're absolutely right. It has been a while since I was in a 12 team league, sadly.