[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NYG @ SF

matt770

Alex Smith proved to me this year he can play ball. I really didn't believe it most of the year just because but there is something to learning 7 new Offenses from several none offensive coaches, so when he does finally get a QB coach who played the position and knows a little bit about play calling the difference is clear. I still give Singletary a lot of credit for screwing Davis's head back on straight and bringing a tough attitude to the niners D, However this years niners are all Harbaugh's.

The Niners D showed me a lot also against Brees & Co. as NO is probably the most explosive and well coached team in the league so I thought. I was calling for Alex Smith to step out of bounds on the 1/2 yard line to preserve the win cause Brees with 2 minutes and change is to much and I was right. What I didn't expect was for Smith to be able to do what he did with a minute and change left.

The Giants on the other hand has got to be smoke and mirrors. I can't see Manning making many more of those hail mary passes that find there way into a wide open recievers hands then break free for 70 yard scores. I just don't see the field allowing for it nor do I think the Niners d will allow it. Those crazy plays the Giants are making have to come to an end sometime. Three games in a row, enough is enough already.

I say the Niners are going to the SuperBowl.

Niners 23 Giants 17

Because the Niners are at home and will be JACKED. The weather will be horrible and Candlestick is below sealevel so the field is going to be mushy. Niners are stout on D. I just think the NIners are a more committed running team then the Giants. The tiptoe gorrilla, Jacobs will be even slower and the Giants depend on the big pass play. That won't happen this week. Plus the Niners tackle better.

Excellent post. I don't agree with the outcome, but certainly it's easily possible.

I can't decide if I want SF or NY to win ie which has better chance of winning SB. SF is more "legit" IMO but NY has that ability to rise above what you think they can do more.

But no and I and I mean no way will NY beat NE if they meet again in the SB.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The exact opposite, IMO.

I agree with this guy. Either the Giants or the Niners are going to roll on the AFC champ. Defense wins championships. It's trite because it's true. NE is straight junk on D, no way do they win the SB. Ravens have a shot, but the offense is so sporadic and generally bad, except RR of course.

Excellent post. I don't agree with the outcome, but certainly it's easily possible.

I can't decide if I want SF or NY to win ie which has better chance of winning SB. SF is more "legit" IMO but NY has that ability to rise above what you think they can do more.

But no and I and I mean no way will NY beat NE if they meet again in the SB.

Thanks.............and I know what you mean. I absolutely hate when there's no clear cut team I can root against. I HATE the Giants, but I really dislike the niners. I HATE the Patriots and want them beat at all costs. So do I go with the Giants who I think can beat the Patriots but I hate them also and how do I pull for them against the Niners. I dislike the Niners but can they go and beat the Pats in the SuperBowl as a young team most of them never been anywhere near this kind of game let alone win it.

Crap, why couldn't my Cowboys have just beat the Giants then gone on and beat the Saints then I wouldn't be in this pickle.

CRAPPPPPPPPPPPPP.....

There is not one team I give one smelly crap about in this years playoffs. Not one. All the teams I either Hate or strongly dislike. :wacko:

Edited by Cowboyz1

The Giants on the other hand has got to be smoke and mirrors. I can't see Manning making many more of those hail mary passes that find there way into a wide open recievers hands then break free for 70 yard scores. I just don't see the field allowing for it nor do I think the Niners d will allow it. Those crazy plays the Giants are making have to come to an end sometime. Three games in a row, enough is enough already.

Team I hate makes a play = smoke & mirrors. :wacko:

I think we're headed for the Harbaugh Bowl, so I've got the NFC Championship as:

SF - 19

NY - 16

Keys to this game:

1. San Francisco's pass rush vs. New York's offensive line: If they can get consistent pressure with their front four, I feel confident that their linebackers and secondary play well and disciplined enough to keep Eli from playing pitch and catch like he did with Victor Cruz most of the year. And I also feel like the Giants are going to struggle to run the ball (like most teams against the 49ers have), so they'll have to rely on Eli almost wholly.

2. San Francisco's running game vs. New York's front seven: The Niners are going to pound Frank Gore as much as they can get away with, so the Giants will have to commit to stopping Gore. Even so, San Francisco's O-line is pretty darn good, and though the Giants are good on their D-line, their bread and butter is the pass rush more than stuffing the run. But if San Fran has to rely on Alex Smith too much on 3rd down, the Giants are probably going to win.

3. Field position: The Saints and the Packers' defenses have people feeling like the Giants and the 49ers are going to put up points, but reality is that the first one to 20 likely wins (if anyone even gets to 20). Working with a short field is critical in a game that could see upwards of 6 FG attempts. I'm too lazy to bother looking up punting stats, and I don't even know who the punters are on these teams, but both punters stand to play a big role in this game.

Turnovers are an obvious key to every game, so they're not really worth a mention. But if turnovers are relatively even, then the above three items will probably dictate the winner. Whoever has the edge in 2 of those 3 will win. I am really looking forward to this game as an NFL fan. I don't think the stage is too big for Alex Smith. I think he and the rest of the 49ers are hungry for this.

I think we're headed for the Harbaugh Bowl, so I've got the NFC Championship as:

SF - 19

NY - 16

Keys to this game:

1. San Francisco's pass rush vs. New York's offensive line: If they can get consistent pressure with their front four, I feel confident that their linebackers and secondary play well and disciplined enough to keep Eli from playing pitch and catch like he did with Victor Cruz most of the year. And I also feel like the Giants are going to struggle to run the ball (like most teams against the 49ers have), so they'll have to rely on Eli almost wholly.

2. San Francisco's running game vs. New York's front seven: The Niners are going to pound Frank Gore as much as they can get away with, so the Giants will have to commit to stopping Gore. Even so, San Francisco's O-line is pretty darn good, and though the Giants are good on their D-line, their bread and butter is the pass rush more than stuffing the run. But if San Fran has to rely on Alex Smith too much on 3rd down, the Giants are probably going to win.

3. Field position: The Saints and the Packers' defenses have people feeling like the Giants and the 49ers are going to put up points, but reality is that the first one to 20 likely wins (if anyone even gets to 20). Working with a short field is critical in a game that could see upwards of 6 FG attempts. I'm too lazy to bother looking up punting stats, and I don't even know who the punters are on these teams, but both punters stand to play a big role in this game.

Turnovers are an obvious key to every game, so they're not really worth a mention. But if turnovers are relatively even, then the above three items will probably dictate the winner. Whoever has the edge in 2 of those 3 will win. I am really looking forward to this game as an NFL fan. I don't think the stage is too big for Alex Smith. I think he and the rest of the 49ers are hungry for this.

No Harbaugh Bowl. Sorry but Pats over Ravens 34-17

SF - 19

NY - 16

Keys to this game:

Good stuff, exactly the kind of game I'm envisioning. I've got almost the same score with the teams reversed. Two very talented, disciplined teams playing a tight defensive game. I keep picturing a defensive TD in this game, no idea who will get it. I think the Giants' postseason experience gives them the edge and they will make one or two more plays than SF that will make the difference. One thing that is exciting about this game -- you can pretty much guarantee that both teams will come out strong and play at a high level. A blowout either way, or one of the teams looking flat and choking would be a shocker.

Obviously I want the Giants to win but I'm glad it's a class team on the other side, it will take the sting out if things don't go our way. What Harbaugh and Alex Smith accomplished this year is really admirable and they would be a worthy SB team for sure. I will most definitely be rooting for the NFC team regardless of the matchup.

Good stuff, exactly the kind of game I'm envisioning. I've got almost the same score with the teams reversed. Two very talented, disciplined teams playing a tight defensive game. I keep picturing a defensive TD in this game, no idea who will get it. I think the Giants' postseason experience gives them the edge and they will make one or two more plays than SF that will make the difference. One thing that is exciting about this game -- you can pretty much guarantee that both teams will come out strong and play at a high level. A blowout either way, or one of the teams looking flat and choking would be a shocker.

Obviously I want the Giants to win but I'm glad it's a class team on the other side, it will take the sting out if things don't go our way. What Harbaugh and Alex Smith accomplished this year is really admirable and they would be a worthy SB team for sure. I will most definitely be rooting for the NFC team regardless of the matchup.

Curious why you believe the bolded part? Good coaching? Players that won't let it happen? I think many were shocked at how the Saints played, all the turnovers etc. And the Packers too, getting beaten badly at home by the Giants, another shocker for many. So what prevents either SF or NYG from having that happen to them, when two very good teams already had that happen the prior week?

I agree this is the more closely contested game, better defenses, lower scores, a few key plays will be all the difference. And I agree there that the Giants with their playoff experience have the edge (even on the road, 3 time zones away after a road game in GB the week before).

Whoever wins the NFC title I hope wins the SB. Not a fan of the Patriots and the Ravens are one of those teams I hate for various reasons.

Curious why you believe the bolded part? Good coaching? Players that won't let it happen? I think many were shocked at how the Saints played, all the turnovers etc. And the Packers too, getting beaten badly at home by the Giants, another shocker for many. So what prevents either SF or NYG from having that happen to them, when two very good teams already had that happen the prior week?

I agree this is the more closely contested game, better defenses, lower scores, a few key plays will be all the difference. And I agree there that the Giants with their playoff experience have the edge (even on the road, 3 time zones away after a road game in GB the week before).

Whoever wins the NFC title I hope wins the SB. Not a fan of the Patriots and the Ravens are one of those teams I hate for various reasons.

SF has been one of the most consistent teams in the NFL this season, and the Giants have been on a tear since the last few weeks of the regular season. This run looks a lot like 2008 when nobody picked them and they seem to thrive on being underdogs playing on the road. Both teams are disciplined and well-coached and have played really well up to this point. One of them coming out flat on Sunday would be very uncharacteristic. Granted, it's the NFL and anything can happen...any prediction comes with that caveat.

I disagree with anyone who was shocked by the Saints' performance. They aren't the same team on the road, and SF did have to come from behind twice in the 4th quarter to beat them. That was probably the Niners' most inspired performance of the season and they needed it to win.

I have my theories about what happened to the Packers. Yes they played poorly (Rodgers especially) but I had a feeling the Giants might be able to neutralize them with a well-executed game plan. Bottom line, the Giants brought more focus and intensity and played 4 quarters of inspired football. Some of the calls the Packers made were head-scratchers, like deferring on the opening toss and the onside kick. They seemed "off" all day.

I agree with this guy. Either the Giants or the Niners are going to roll on the AFC champ. Defense wins championships. It's trite because it's true. NE is straight junk on D, no way do they win the SB. Ravens have a shot, but the offense is so sporadic and generally bad, except RR of course.

the saying is "tried and true" not trite :wacko:

Giants 24

Niners 17

Smith will be terrorized by the Giant front line and no way can the Niner secondary cover Nicks/Cruz/Manningham.

It was a fantastic run by the Niners but their season ends this Sunday.

I love this stuff! I'm cooking up a hot pot of crow for Sunday night boys and girls, we will see who gets to eat it!

So nice to have the team involved in post season speculation again.

Giants 38

49ers 30

Every year I seem to get caught expecting one of the playoff games to be a low scoring Defensive battle, and everytime it turns into a high scoring game. So this year I'm on the cutting edge of prognostication!

Brandon Jacobs sure has a big mouth...but maybe that's just because he's fat? :wacko:

And btw, I agree with Jerry Rice. Given how big he is, I do think Jacobs is soft. Now, if people like Jim Rome want to scoff at the idea of calling a guy that big "soft" because you know that Jacobs could beat you to a pulp if he wanted to, that's their choice. But they'd be missing the point.

However, I've seen him play enough times where I've wondered why he wasn't more effective, given his size, at short yardage. That he was so unwilling, on numerous occasions to square his hips to the LOS and take on the CB who was chasing him to the sidelines rather than try and out run him. Stutter-step heading to the line. Things like that. So, yeah, all things considered, I think the soft tag is fair. Put Bradshaw in that body, and he'd be a freaking beast.

Giants 38

49ers 30

Every year I seem to get caught expecting one of the playoff games to be a low scoring Defensive battle, and everytime it turns into a high scoring game. So this year I'm on the cutting edge of prognostication!

I think you're right on the mark. Giants offense is clicking on all cylinders, and I wouldn't be surprised to see an additional score come from special teams or defense. There is going to be more pressure than Alex Smith has likely seen his entire career. The Giants "bend but don't break" defense will give up points, including 4 Akers field goals, but should prevail.

Giants 31

49ers 26

SF has been one of the most consistent teams in the NFL this season, and the Giants have been on a tear since the last few weeks of the regular season. This run looks a lot like 2008 when nobody picked them and they seem to thrive on being underdogs playing on the road. Both teams are disciplined and well-coached and have played really well up to this point. One of them coming out flat on Sunday would be very uncharacteristic. Granted, it's the NFL and anything can happen...any prediction comes with that caveat.

I disagree with anyone who was shocked by the Saints' performance. They aren't the same team on the road, and SF did have to come from behind twice in the 4th quarter to beat them. That was probably the Niners' most inspired performance of the season and they needed it to win.

I have my theories about what happened to the Packers. Yes they played poorly (Rodgers especially) but I had a feeling the Giants might be able to neutralize them with a well-executed game plan. Bottom line, the Giants brought more focus and intensity and played 4 quarters of inspired football. Some of the calls the Packers made were head-scratchers, like deferring on the opening toss and the onside kick. They seemed "off" all day.

Ok thanks. I understand the Saints not playing as well on the road, and their not winning a playoff road game (even losing to SEA last year). But that SF game last weekend was basically a result of all those early turnovers. Hard to believe if those don't happen that the game turns out the same. Sure SF made some plays late after NO was back in the game, but without those early turnovers and the 17-0 lead would they have been in that position?

Giants, now that was different as some were picking them to win, because they could keep the pressure on Rodgers. But in both games, who would have expected either the Saints or Packers to fall apart like that, coming out flat, having all those turnovers? Thats why I was basically asking "what's so different about NYG and SF that it cannot happen to them:"