[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sapp vs. Shockey...celebrity NFL death match

tazinib1

I think a law can begin to be evaluated by implementing the most extreme examples and working backwards. BTW - keep going, I'm asking questions because I don't know the answers, and I'm learning.

Fair enough, and maybe someone like Furd can answer the more extreme examples to know where the line is drawn... Obviously I'm not going to pretend that I know anything beyond what allows the media to put out all the crap sensationalist and even blatantly stories they do so often nowadays.

Edited by delusions of granduer

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There used to be a time when networks would not report rumors or unfounded speculation. Networks used to only bring up these items if it were so widespread that the rumors were common knowledge or if they had substantial facts to support the claim. That type of integrity is seen less and less.

That only makes sense if you ignore who owns the NFL Network.

http://www.nypost.co...t=More%20Sports

So Sapp could be in trouble, but interestingly enough only if shockey was the snitch

Okay, this makes far more sense than defamation, for outting a guy who was whistle-blowing against unsafe conditions.

Quite a twist that he only gets in trouble if he's telling the truth about Shockey snitching :wacko:

http://www.nypost.co...t=More%20Sports

So Sapp could be in trouble, but interestingly enough only if shockey was the snitch

OK, wait. I was joking about that chat between Payton and Shockey being real. You mean to tell me Jeremy Shockey actually tweeted that? Uh oh. Now, I'm starting to take Sapp's side.

Edited by electricrelish

Nice find. I'm going to tweet this so folks know that Payton supports Shockey.

The bigger issue with shockeys text with Payton is why two grown men are texting like 12 year old girls. "hugs" multiple exclamation points after every sentence, geezus

The bigger issue with shockeys text with Payton is why two grown men are texting like 12 year old girls. "hugs" multiple exclamation points after every sentence, geezus

You hit the nail on the head. If that chat is genuine, then that's almost as bad as the bounties.

There is not a precedent odf lawsuit.. Libel and slander are extremely hard to prove, because they require not only knowledge of it's falsity, and I believe also malevolent intent. All Sapp has to say is my source was mistaken, and it'd kill any lawsuit.

I somehow doubt it's quite that cut and dry. If I go on a news show and say you're diddling little boys according to my source, I can't just shrug my shoulders and say "Ooops, my bad!" and expect it to go away. In a civil case, it would seem Shockey could argue loss of future earnings somewhat effectively.

OK, wait. I was joking about that chat between Payton and Shockey being real. You mean to tell me Jeremy Shockey actually tweeted that? Uh oh. Now, I'm starting to take Sapp's side.

LMAO, that's a real chat exchange? Are you sure Shockey wasn't joking around with it? Or is that even Shockey's real twitter account? Looks like a joke to me.

HUGS!

:rofl:

LMAO, that's a real chat exchange? Are you sure Shockey wasn't joking around with it? Or is that even Shockey's real twitter account? Looks like a joke to me.

HUGS!

:rofl:

It's his twitter account. It's got to be a joke.

https://twitter.com/#!/JeremyShockey/status/182874403971928064/photo/1

It's his twitter account. It's got to be a joke.

https://twitter.com/...1928064/photo/1

He better be careful, because according to some in this thread it'd be all too easy for Payton to sue him for defamation of character. ;)

You know he's gotta be looking for a way to recoup some of that $8 million he's losing...

I somehow doubt it's quite that cut and dry. If I go on a news show and say you're diddling little boys according to my source, I can't just shrug my shoulders and say "Ooops, my bad!" and expect it to go away. In a civil case, it would seem Shockey could argue loss of future earnings somewhat effectively.

Hmmm, I guess we then get back to the extreme examples I'm less sure of, so you and BB have actually given me something to think about and perhaps research (unless one of our legal minds want to opine).

ETA: though the part of your example that may be different, is that it might be easier to prove that he knew it was false when he said it, and thus there was malicious intent... In this case, it can probably be more easily discounted as a rumor that made it's way throughout the grapevine.

He better be careful, because according to some in this thread it'd be all too easy for Payton to sue him for defamation of character. ;)

You know he's gotta be looking for a way to recoup some of that $8 million he's losing...

Hmmm, I guess we then get back to the extreme examples I'm less sure of, so you and BB have actually given me something to think about and perhaps research (unless one of our legal minds want to opine).

ETA: though the part of your example that may be different, is that it might be easier to prove that he knew it was false when he said it, and thus there was malicious intent... In this case, it can probably be more easily discounted as a rumor that made it's way throughout the grapevine.

I'm no legal expert, and the Post is talking Federal, whereas I'm talking civil where OJ was found guilty after being not guilty in criminal court.

I think Sapp stepped in it big time.

I'm no legal expert, and the Post is talking Federal, whereas I'm talking civil where OJ was found guilty after being not guilty in criminal court.

I think Sapp stepped in it big time.

Yep, well the case seems much more airtight to the possiblity of charges for outting him if it's true, that could be a real mess...

Of course if it's true, then that kills any defamation, libel, etc., lawsuit of course... But if false, I think Sapp can afford good enough lawyers on a weak enough case to where I have to assume, without looking into it any further yet, he should be far more worried if it's true than false.

Good to see you're switching to a team that might actually have a shot at something this year. ;)

Are you kidding? With the lack of any real moves by their front office, the Vikes have an excellent shot at the number one pick in next year's draft as well as at alienating their fans into not caring while they pack the moving truck and move to LA in Major League Cleveland Indians style.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

Are you kidding? With the lack of any real moves by their front office, the Vikes have an excellent shot at the number pick in next year's draft as well as at alienating their fans into not caring while they pack the moving truck and move to LA in Major League Cleveland Indians style.

:huh:

Are you kidding? With the lack of any real moves by their front office, the Vikes have an excellent shot at the number one pick in next year's draft as well as at alienating their fans into not caring while they pack the moving truck and move to LA in Major League Cleveland Indians style.

:lol:

Uh-oh, even LA doesn't want you anymore.

Yep, well the case seems much more airtight to the possiblity of charges for outting him if it's true, that could be a real mess...

Of course if it's true, then that kills any defamation, libel, etc., lawsuit of course... But if false, I think Sapp can afford good enough lawyers on a weak enough case to where I have to assume, without looking into it any further yet, he should be far more worried if it's true than false.

Well, this isn't him shooting his mouth off at a bar. He was on air and you are held to a high standard under broadcast rules. He stepped in it deep.

Well, this isn't him shooting his mouth off at a bar. He was on air and you are held to a high standard under broadcast rules. He stepped in it deep.

Broadcast rules? I'm not sure what we're even debating anymore, I just said I'd be more worried if it's true because it seems a much stronger case, so I think now you might be the one who is making this to be too cut and dry.

(ETA: not to turn this into a pissing match, but there's a reason reporters and media outlets don't get sued, and even less of the time successfully sued, because the system is set to protect you until it can be shown you're guilty... Just because Sapp ends up costing him money, does not mean it's easy at all to win in court that Sapp is liable for reporting what he hears... I could be mistaken, but I'm quite sure it's not so simple as "he stepped in it").

Broadcast rules? I'm not sure what we're even debating anymore, I just said I'd be more worried if it's true because it seems a much stronger case, so I think now you might be the one who is making this to be too cut and dry.

(ETA: not to turn this into a pissing match, but there's a reason reporters and media outlets don't get sued, and even less of the time successfully sued, because the system is set to protect you until it can be shown you're guilty... Just because Sapp ends up costing him money, does not mean it's easy at all to win in court that Sapp is liable for reporting what he hears... I could be mistaken, but I'm quite sure it's not so simple as "he stepped in it").

Did he just tweet it or repeat it too on the NFL Network? If he did the latter, that's where the broadcast rules do come in. And organizations don't get sued because they are supposed to vet 'rumors' to make sure they're facts if they choose to report them.

Did he just tweet it or repeat it too on the NFL Network? If he did the latter, that's where the broadcast rules do come in. And organizations don't get sued because they are supposed to vet 'rumors' to make sure they're facts if they choose to report them.

Sapp was brought on the NFL Network and asked what he meant by his tweets, so he explained.