[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ogletree ... the first waiver wire darling of 2012

Grits and Shins

Its bush league fantasy football. Just because the rules have a loophole allowing such rubbish doesn't make it a any better. You're also assuming that such a loophole was well known and apparent from the league rules, when it probably wasn't. I'd quit that league as well, or if I was a commish I'd over turn that move. Anybody who thinks picking up a player that is already playing and adding them to your active roster is anything but a flaw in league setup (unless like the league that Scooby's Hubby mentioned where it is known you can draft and start players from the games that were played).

It's right there in black and white in your league settings. Anyone that doesn't review before registering or drafting is a fool. If you don't care for the rules adopted fine, don't join but it gets old baby sitting adults that whine about information that's published but instead chose to ignore until it's painfully obvious. I'm competitive, if I can gain a legal advantage I'll take it. If you don't like the rules then speak up in your pre-draft meetings or don't [re]join. Simple.

Do you also enjoy taking candy from small children?

Of course I do! In fact, I was the kid that ran home from school on Halloween, grabbed my bike, and hit all the houses in the neighborhood that put candy in bowls at the front door. But seriosly, the Commish must have messed up when he reset the Yahoo WW settings for the year. We moved from a WW determined by records (which I hated) to a rolling WW system. But hey, no apologies here. I'm off to bust the league's chops via email.

ps: I misspoke when I said that I got J. Nelson the same way last year. I got him 1/2 hr before game time. So this is must be the commishs mistake.

Edited by White lightning

now this is old school. Ever hear of a smartphone?

I figured I would go old school since you are from Cleveland and I know that smartphone technology hasn't reached Browns fans yet...

And I lived in Cleveland for 14 years...

Edited by Steelhead

Read the league settings. If weekly waivers allow for a loop hole for mid-week games then those asleep at the wheel lose. If you didn't care for how the league was set up why did you join?

Thank you Captain Hindsight!

The Giants secondary is bad, once Coe went down it was really over. He did look good though, because he found holes, ran away from defense on that TD when Romo was scrambling.

I'll let someone else spend their cash though, 1 game against this secondary isn't worth a whole lot of $

It's right there in black and white in your league settings. Anyone that doesn't review before registering or drafting is a fool. If you don't care for the rules adopted fine, don't join but it gets old baby sitting adults that whine about information that's published but instead chose to ignore until it's painfully obvious. I'm competitive, if I can gain a legal advantage I'll take it. If you don't like the rules then speak up in your pre-draft meetings or don't [re]join. Simple.

I'd have to see the rules to buy the "its right there in black and white" stuff.

Picking up a player who is currently active in a game is silly, allowing people to pick up that player whose game has started and insert them into their line-up is beyond silly. And most likely an error in league setup (that other owners woudn't know about).

Not sure if you're in White Lightning's boat or not (picked up player, put in starting line-up and get credit for the points scored in a game already in progress), that is where I have a bigger issue. Sure if your league is FCFS, and allows pick ups of a player who is/has already played this week, then that is probably a known part of your league rules/settings.

I'm not arguing for hand holding or baby sitting, just calling out bush league BS when I see it. Unless the rules clearly indicate this stuff is allowed, somebody is just taking advantage of a screw up by the commish (and their luck in finding that screw up).

In my league at work I am hurting very bad at WRs. I basically don't have a startable WR3 and no depth (it is a low buyin league and we were all drunk out of our minds), so I think my hand is kind of forced and I have to get Ogletree and hope for the best.

Edited by Papajohn

Just for clarification. First, the settings don't allow me to put him directly into the lineup. Second, I called the commish to talk s*it and he reviewed the WW settings. The Yahoo WW was set to place all undrafted players into FA until noon on Sunday. The commish overlooked the option to place players on the WW from "game time" (which would include Wed/Thur games) to Tues. I'm sure I will be giving Ogletree up before the day is out.

Either way, back to Ogletree. I think he's a good pick up if the price is right but I wouldn't blow my WW budget/a solid bench player (ie S. Ridley, Kendall Wright) on him just yet.

Edited by White lightning

Do you also enjoy taking candy from small children?

Its better to grab him then to allow someone else that you are playing against grab him and use the points against you

If you feel it is not right then I would still grab him but not put him in my line up ,, again jsut wouldn't want for someone else to make that play against me when I had a chance to do something about it whether I played him or not I would for sure grab him

Sunday and Monday night's results might influence whether I put in a bid for Tree, for example an injury or something. But usually I see owners overbidding for guys like this early in the season. And no doubt by Tuesday we'll be discussing some even juicier WW targets.

Re: the Yahoo WW comments, the common settings are to lock out pickups from 1pm Sunday until Tuesday night. Usually means that Thursday night games (or in this bizarre case, a Wednesday night game) are open season. It's not 'bush league', it's just the way most leagues are set up

I'd have to see the rules to buy the "its right there in black and white" stuff.

Scoring & Settings

Weekly Waivers Sunday - Tuesday

FWIW, I picked up Ogletree after the game ended.

Edited by MothAudio

Re: the Yahoo WW comments, the common settings are to lock out pickups from 1pm Sunday until Tuesday night. Usually means that Thursday night games (or in this bizarre case, a Wednesday night game) are open season. It's not 'bush league', it's just the way most leagues are set up

Agreed. I see nothing wrong with it. Know your league rules. When I used to run a Yahoo league, the only other option was locking up ALL FAs as of the kickoff of the first game of the week (also dumb). That said, I always made a point of sending an email to the league clearly alerting everyone to this wrinkle - did people ignore the email and get all fired up when someone actually picked up a guy mid-game? Of course - but it was 100% their fault at that point.

Oh - and I'm not burning any of my waiver priorities on Ogletree . . . if Austin or Bryant had gotten hurt, then I'd put in a claim. I just have serious doubts as to his consistency.

I initially misunderstood White Lightnings post, thinking he picked up a player (Ogletree) that was playing and was able to use them on his team and get their points. That (I would hope) would be something most owners had a problem with, unless their rules were clear that you could do this.

I still think in WL's case that the league site was not configured properly, and their league had not allowed player moves like that in the past. So doing it because the commish didn't set the league up right would be unfair, and IMHO bush league. And WL has already stated that "I'll probably have to give him up before the day is out" indicates that he knew he was not following the rules and his acquisition of Ogletree will be overturned by the commish.

The intent of the rules is what matters, not some loophole created by a human mistake or bad software.

Agreed. I see nothing wrong with it. Know your league rules. When I used to run a Yahoo league, the only other option was locking up ALL FAs as of the kickoff of the first game of the week (also dumb). That said, I always made a point of sending an email to the league clearly alerting everyone to this wrinkle - did people ignore the email and get all fired up when someone actually picked up a guy mid-game? Of course - but it was 100% their fault at that point.

Thank you. When I commished our work league I would remind everyone in all pre-draft emails to READ LEAGUE SETTINGS. And again in our draft kit that included Top 100 list and our league manifesto for the upcoming season. Owners were put on notice at least a half dozen times in addition to the home page being available a month before our draft. No excuses. Did people still complain? Sure, the one's that were too lazy or stupid.

Edited by MothAudio

my office league has mostly allowed FA pickups during the games. The one time I changed it, the feedback was deafening. So the rule stays that way. All know it and yes, someone picked up Ogletree at 9:54. It is a 14 team league with only 4 bench spots so he may use him or have to drop him for a backup QB come his bye week. Moves are also capped at 30 for the year.

Edited by loaf

Really so most leagues allow owners to pick up players that have already played in game that week. Granted I only play in one league, but I've never heard many others talk about that being a part of how their league is set up. Reading Balzac's post, maybe this is true of most leagues on Yahoo because their settings don't allow anything better.

Once a player's game starts that week their status (free agent or on a team, active or bench) should be locked.

Scoring & Settings

Weekly Waivers Sunday - Tuesday

FWIW, I picked up Ogletree after the game ended.

Has this league always allowed players to be picked up who have played in the current week? Thursday games are nothing new, we've had them for years.

Our waivers run on Tuesday night and again on Saturday (for players dropped earlier that week). It says nothing about looking players out after a game starts, but that is how it works and how it has always worked as long as I can remember.

PS reading Balzac's post I see part of the problem here is league management software (Yahoo in his case). If you can only lock all FAs out when first game starts, and not lock out players when their game starts, then maybe this does make sense. Just seems strange to have wiavers for guys playing in Sun/Mon games, but those playing on Wed/Thu can be acquired FCFS by owners who see them putting up a good game.

PS reading Balzac's post I see part of the problem here is league management software (Yahoo in his case). If you can only lock all FAs out when first game starts, and not lock out players when their game starts, then maybe this does make sense. Just seems strange to have wiavers for guys playing in Sun/Mon games, but those playing on Wed/Thu can be acquired FCFS by owners who see them putting up a good game.

I've only seen this in leagues where it's unavoidable because of the settings. MFL still doesn't give you the option to lock guys once their individual games start either - surprising, seeing as how it's so great in every other way.

Really so most leagues allow owners to pick up players that have already played in game that week. Granted I only play in one league, but I've never heard many others talk about that being a part of how their league is set up. Reading Balzac's post, maybe this is true of most leagues on Yahoo because their settings don't allow anything better.

Once a player's game starts that week their status (free agent or on a team, active or bench) should be locked.

Has this league always allowed players to be picked up who have played in the current week? Thursday games are nothing new, we've had them for years.

Our waivers run on Tuesday night and again on Saturday (for players dropped earlier that week). It says nothing about looking players out after a game starts, but that is how it works and how it has always worked as long as I can remember.

you clearly didn't read my earlier post about Yahoo being configurable...it is their choice to set it up this way. You can have

Use these settings to give everyone in the league a fair chance at picking up players. Sunday - Tuesday means all unowned players will be placed on waivers at 10:00am PT each Sunday with the claim period ending at 11:59pm PT on Tuesday. First game of the week - Tuesday means all unowned players will be placed on waivers at the start of the first game for that week with the claim period ending at 11:59pm PT on Tuesday. Game Time means all unowned players will be placed on waivers at the scheduled start time of their game. In Game Time Waivers, players on a bye week will be placed on waivers Monday night at 5:30pm pacific time.

or no setting at all. with no setting, players are always free agents.

The Giants secondary is bad, once Coe went down it was really over. He did look good though, because he found holes, ran away from defense on that TD when Romo was scrambling.

I'll let someone else spend their cash though, 1 game against this secondary isn't worth a whole lot of $

Coe and Tryon were both cut by the Colts, who have been desperate for CB's . . . so they can't be good . . .

loaf,

I guess I missed that in your earlier post. Having only played in one league for 20 years, and been co-commish of that league, and using CBS for the past 10+ years I'm really not that familiar with how other leagues work or what other sites allow. Was surprised to see Balzac's comment about MFL not allowing players to lock when their game starts. Seems odd since its been a basic feature of CBS for as long as I can remember. Of course 10 years ago we only had games on Sunday, Monday, maybe the occassional Saturday (late in season) and Thanksgiving. Now we'll have a Thursday game every week, and allowing those players to be added on FCFS after their game starts just seem crazy to me. Whether because the website won't allow better, or because the league wants it that way. Why have waivers for most players once their game starts, but allow others to be FCFS.

I've only seen this in leagues where it's unavoidable because of the settings. MFL still doesn't give you the option to lock guys once their individual games start either - surprising, seeing as how it's so great in every other way.

Yes it does.

ETA: It's under Waiver Wire Options at the bottom.

Edited by Double Agent