[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

just wondering if all sites runs this way

RJV

I have Seattle playing the jets and with the fumble from Wilson and recovery with a jets touchdown, the Seattle def gets points taken away for that. Seems way out of sorts to me. This is ESPN by the way.

Edited by RJV

This is "normal" for fantasy football, although it has always seemed a bit odd to me. I suspect that these days, scoring in this manner (ie 'penalize' the FF defense/special teams even though they had nothing to do with the play) is more of a leftover / legacy rule concept from back in the days when fantasy football scoring was done manually by the league commissioner using USA Today or some sort of print media ... and it was difficult at best from those box scores to determine what had actually happened on certain scoring plays ... so the simplest approach was to take the easy (only at the time?) way out and count any points scored by the "opposition" as having been scored vs. the "Team D/ST" in question.

I seem to recall that MFL has a setting allowing leagues to choose whether or not the kind of play you describe should be scored 'against' the D/ST or not. I don't know if other FF sites have such a setting or if they do not.

Edited by ts

We use CBS and if the offense gives up a td the only points against the DST is the extra point.

Correction then, my commish is helpless.

Not sure how long CBS or other sites have had allowed this, but yes basically counting all points against your team is how most leagues used to do it. I kind of see the point people are making about points that are not scored byu the opposing defense, and how those shouldn't count against the defense. But what about those turnovers that result in the team at the one yard line getting a TD, you still penalize the defense for that, just as if the team had to actually go down the field and cover 40-80 yards on a drive. Don't see that as being much better than counting all points but each league can decide that.

My point is, unless your league says "points allowed by the defensive unit" or something like that then you're probably using total points allowed by the team, and would need a rules (and league setting) change to deal with that.

Either way we still use total points, and I had to check the settings to see how you would do it differently. I see 4 categories on CBS for defensive points allowed

- (PA) Points Against, Total Points Scored (81)

- (DPA) Defensive Points Against (less than 5)

- (DSTPA) Points Against Defense/ST (5)

- (STPA) Special Teams Points Against (less than 5)

The number in () at the end are the number on CBS that use that category (from the Help-Glossary page)

So you either use all, or some combination of points allowed only by the D and/or ST units. Seems that most use all.