[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kaepernick kills Smith?

WashingtonD

Not intending to be cantankerous or attempting to incite an argument with the SF fans, but the only reasoning I can find is pure stubborn arrogance. I just don't see any other excuse for benching Smith, but then again I wouldn't pretend to consider myself an NFL coach so as a fan all you can do is trust the guy & hope it all works out.

This is dead on. I think Harbaugh just couldn't resist finally putting his guy in there and taking all the credit for making him the next big thing, just as he did in molding Smith into the hyper-efficient game manager last year. Now, I'm not saying that Kaepernick won't be the next great thing, but to think he's going to become it without some rookie mistakes and bumps is wishful thinking. As a Seahawk fan, I'm all for Kaepernick learning on the job. It might only take one of those rookie mistakes to knock them out of a playoff bye.

Edited by Tripleshot

Not intending to be cantankerous or attempting to incite an argument with the SF fans, but the only reasoning I can find is pure stubborn arrogance. I just don't see any other excuse for benching Smith, but then again I wouldn't pretend to consider myself an NFL coach so as a fan all you can do is trust the guy & hope it all works out.

If I were to try and make an argument, it would go like this: We can be a very good team with Smith at the helm, but we're not going to get over the hump and win a championship with the guy (Exhibit A: NYG beatdown this year). I (Harbaugh) believe I can win a championship with Kaepernick, who is more dynamic but also more raw. We're probably going to make the playoffs with either guy, so if I can get Kaepernick some seasoning now, albeit with a temporary hit in team performance, those games will pay dividends come playoff time.

That's the argument I would construct. I don't put it past Harbaugh that it's stubborn arrogance, but most coaches are in the business of self preservation and this move focuses all of the light on him and not any other scapegoat. It falls clearly at his feet, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that Harbaugh was capable of some objective reasoning on this point.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

yes.... i am tremendously enthusiastic about his development, just understand that there is more learning/developing to come...and with that mistakes will be made. that is all fine and dandy, but i do not want to see them lose a 1st round bye and potentially playoff games due to late season grooming.

as someone who has followed football since the 70's (watched harbaugh come and go as a player), attended University of San Diego, and a staunch 49er fan... i have a very healthy respect for harbaugh's career as a player and coach. I believe that what he has done for our organization is outstanding. He also has a large ego and is obstinate.... so much so, that in my opinion he is unnecessarily risking a 1st round bye to groom our qb of the future now. Also imo, I believe he is rolling the dice that the defense is good enough to absorb kap's potential mistakes while gaining nfl game experience. As well as this defense is playing, this is what i think will bite us in the ass. some of these mistakes will result in dramatic changes in filed position where even the best defenses will yield pts.

so, were they not about winning when smith helped the team go 13-3 (and nfc champ game) last year and 6-2-1 this year? this isn't about sending a player out the door a year or two prior to the end of their prime. i see it as him taking an unnecessary risk and losing some leverage this year as a result. i am not really crying for smith. if he was playing like crap, i'd have no issue with the move at all. i just don't love the on the job training for a qb at the 2/3 mark of a strong season.

:glare:

have you seen him play?

yes. all of it. since harbaugh has taken over, until sunday night no team has scored more than 27 against the 9ers.

kap has significantly changed the offense and in turn, how the defense has to play now. kap is having a tougher time sustaining drives, working the clock, and maximizing opportunites.

Well, a team that many thought was the odds on favorite to represent the NFC in the SB has now played their way out of a 1st round bye as of right now. The final chapter isn't written on this season, but unless GB lays an egg in MIN, the road got a lot tougher for the 9ers - and there's still the playoff pressure looming for Kaepernick. Every mistake is going to be magnified.

• 3 weeks later...

I am starting to have a slightly different stance on this. While i still believe smith plays a tighter game due to experience, i don't think the outcome will have as much to do with the quarterback play as other factors. the most important keys for the 9ers to be successful imo is putting pressure on rodgers, and running the ball. you might hear me gripe if kap is too risky and doesn't sustain drives. if the 9ers get down, i would rather have kap in than smith.... but this is something coaching needs to address. neither qb has thrived when the team gets down. the play calling gets stale and predictable.

amazing game. i am most impressed with his shaking of the early pick-six. good for harbaugh to let him off leash to run...now i just have to worry about him getting hurt as a "running qb."

I too worry about that but it seems on most runs he's pretty smart as far as avoiding hits or running out of bounds... But yes that is always a concern with a running QB.

But let's celebrate today Bier it has been only 1 year since we watched the NFC Championship game in my living room together let's hope this year we get to the big show!!

:coach: Let's Go Niners!!

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe

amazing game. i am most impressed with his shaking of the early pick-six. good for harbaugh to let him off leash to run...now i just have to worry about him getting hurt as a "running qb."

Always a concern with a QB that runs a lot. I recall one play where he took over the middle running towards the goal line and got sandwiched between two tacklers in what looked like a viscious hit. I thought he might be hurt, or at least slow to get up, and he popped right up. Seems to be built better to take a pounding than RG3 or Wilson, more like Cam.

Very impressive game for him last night,. Congrats to the 49ers.