[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who's gonna pick up Alex Smith?

kenwg

I really don't think Ryan was that high on tebow. I think a lot of coaches, including Rex, respect and admire the intensity and effort tebow bring to the game. But I think the tebow move was 100% on woody Johnson. I think Rex probably loves tebow as a man and a "football player" but woody Johnson loves the ny and national media attention, which was a huge factor in bringing him to ny. If you really think Rex was that big on tebow don't u think you would've seen a lot more of him this year? Woody probably forced the tebow move and Rex was stuck having to play him here and there.

• Like 1

Arizona is desperate for a QB. Wouldn't surprise me to see them draft a QB and also bring in Smith to groom him for a year. None of the QB's coming out next year are NFL ready IMO. Geno will get thrown to the wolves in KC not because of talent, but out of necessity.

Arizona is desperate for a QB. Wouldn't surprise me to see them draft a QB and also bring in Smith to groom him for a year. None of the QB's coming out next year are NFL ready IMO. Geno will get thrown to the wolves in KC not because of talent, but out of necessity.

I'm not sure of Alex Smith contract, but I do know if SF has anything to do with it they won't let him go to Arizona. Imagine if he went there and made Arizona relevant again and beat SF.

I'm betting on the Jets.

Even Ryan's gotta be realizing, finally, that they're going nowhere with Sanchez. That said, it was Ryan who pick up Tebow, after all, so maybe he really is that clueless...

Tebow was forced on Ryan by an owner who wanted to sell more PSLs and non-PSL season tickets (more than half the upper deck had not renewed) and wanted to re-capture back page of the tabloids from the successful NY Giants. Woody Johnson ordered his inept GM who obediently walks in front of Wood Johnson on a leash.

Freeman hasn't IMO progressed at all, isn't this like 2 years where Tampa Bay had a chance to get into the playoffs and have a 2nd half collapse?

Tampa was pretty ugly last year. I thought Freeman had done a pretty good job this year he had a few off games but overall not bad.

Tampa was pretty ugly last year. I thought Freeman had done a pretty good job this year he had a few off games but overall not bad.

You could be right, I could be just clouded by the fact that Tampa had all the weapons this year on offense, and seemingly still don't really improve, like the Bears.

Their offensive line wasn't aided by injury and I don't consider Vincent Jackson as a high end "weapon". He couldn't sniff brandon Marshall, Calvin, etcs jock. Dallas Clark? Mike Williams is what he is, a decent number 2. Obviously Martin emerged as a great running back. But to suggest smith is far and away an upgrade over freeman is plain wrong in my opinion. Lets not act like kaepernick is the second coming of Christ here, he's good, but if smith was so great he'd be playing, so what makes you think Tampa would want him

Their offensive line wasn't aided by injury and I don't consider Vincent Jackson as a high end "weapon". He couldn't sniff brandon Marshall, Calvin, etcs jock. Dallas Clark? Mike Williams is what he is, a decent number 2. Obviously Martin emerged as a great running back. But to suggest smith is far and away an upgrade over freeman is plain wrong in my opinion. Lets not act like kaepernick is the second coming of Christ here, he's good, but if smith was so great he'd be playing, so what makes you think Tampa would want him

Vincent Jackson was the "highly" touted number one in SD before the holdout BS, he was like what Danario ALexander was for Phillip Rivers this year back during his time. Mike Williams was "supposed" to be good, he had a great rookie year then I guess the sophomore slump came and bit him. So to me Freeman had two good weapons way better than most teams. Add in the fact that the emergence of Doug Martin was there, yes I feel he was a disappointment. Alex Smith had a 104.1% passer rating before Kapernick came in this year. That's pretty great if you ask me.

Alex Smith should go to Philadelphia. Foles inspires zero confidence. They need a caretaker while they stabilize the franchise and Smith can easily do that. Nothing great but highly serviceable while you try and right the ship.

Josh Freeman definitely dragged the Bucs down the last month but bringing Smith in doesn't help anything. Probably would kill VJax's value to boot. No upside IMO for Smith to Tampa.

I agree plenty of teams would love to have Vincent Jackson but he has tended to disappear for stretches at a time, and mike Williams is nothing to write home about. I agree on smith being a solid player, but don't give me that qb rating nonsense, like I said if he was so great he'd be playing. Him going to tb wouldn't improve the team in my opinion

Smith ran more of a dink and dunk offense. Lost of small to medium passes with a great running game. The one game that kind of changed my opinion of him was last year versus New Orleans, but he hasn't really duplicated that performance on a week to week bais since.

Edited by Seahawk

I'll give you that, and I like the other options mentioned in Minnesota as maybe Philadelphia. However I don't think he would work with the Eagles because like you said the dink and dunk passes would not work with Desean Jackson who likes to always go deep and Brent Celek is nowhere near Vernon Davis potential unless he dumps it off to McCoy. In Minnesota, it could work with Rudolph, Peterson & Percy Harvin. I like that tandem better as Ponder is a career backup.

I could see Minnesota bringing him in next year.

Can't believe it took 14 posts to get that said. Lots of local folks say Smith would be a good stopgap. I tend to disagree. Ponder has looked pretty terrible in spots, but started the season off pretty well and is an OK game manager. Give the guy someone to throw to besides Percy Harvin (who's been hurt and out the past several weeks) and maybe he's not as bad as you think.

I think Smith's a pile of poo and wouldn't be an improvement over Ponder. He'd be a band-aid without any stickiness.

The QB position is actually kind of deep this draft. Might not have the star power of last summer, but there are some interesting names.

Smith to Arizona makes no sense either. The Niners won't let him go to a division "rival".

Can't believe it took 14 posts to get that said. Lots of local folks say Smith would be a good stopgap. I tend to disagree. Ponder has looked pretty terrible in spots, but started the season off pretty well and is an OK game manager. Give the guy someone to throw to besides Percy Harvin (who's been hurt and out the past several weeks) and maybe he's not as bad as you think.

I think Smith's a pile of poo and wouldn't be an improvement over Ponder. He'd be a band-aid without any stickiness.

The QB position is actually kind of deep this draft. Might not have the star power of last summer, but there are some interesting names.

Smith to Arizona makes no sense either. The Niners won't let him go to a division "rival".

Don't get me wrong... I don't think that Smith is the answer, and I don't WANT him to be the Vikings starting QB.

But it's clear that Minnesota needs to bring in someone to push Ponder, and Smith fits the bill as a Vet with experieince that still has the desire to start even if he doesn't have the skills. There were a couple of games this season where the Vikings absolutely 100% should have benched Ponder (that doesn't mean he couldn't start the following week again, but the team needed a spark in those games and Ponder couldn't generate crap). The biggest reason that he wasn't benched in those games was because we didn't have a backup QB on the roster that the coaches trusted enough to put in the game for even a quarter. So they will definitely bring in someone. I could see that someone being Smith.

Considering teams are stacking the Box with Peterson running wild. Ponder should be having more success with one on one coverage and tight end match up problems, but he hasn't. I will give you that he did look decent at the beginning of the year so what happened? Smith I beileve is an upgrade but probably not the answer.

Don't get me wrong... I don't think that Smith is the answer, and I don't WANT him to be the Vikings starting QB.

But it's clear that Minnesota needs to bring in someone to push Ponder, and Smith fits the bill as a Vet with experieince that still has the desire to start even if he doesn't have the skills. There were a couple of games this season where the Vikings absolutely 100% should have benched Ponder (that doesn't mean he couldn't start the following week again, but the team needed a spark in those games and Ponder couldn't generate crap). The biggest reason that he wasn't benched in those games was because we didn't have a backup QB on the roster that the coaches trusted enough to put in the game for even a quarter. So they will definitely bring in someone. I could see that someone being Smith.

I could see how a vet like Smith may be able to help/push Ponder. The Vikes will definitely need to draft a project QB. The kid from Duke is starting to get a lot of buzz (Sean Renfree) and could be available at a time where it makes sense.

The kid from Duke is starting to get a lot of buzz (Sean Renfree) and could be available at a time where it makes sense.

About time his name popped up somewhere. Anybody care to guess the connection to Peyton and Eli?

Edited by tazinib1