[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First Round Fantasy Impact

darin3

Blake Bortles (JAC): Played in a pro-style offense in college so should be NFL-ready. With only Blaine Gabbert and/or Chad Henne to beat out, he may be starting for the Jags. With Justin Blackmon (maybe?) and Cecil Shorts to throw to, he has a shot at making a fantasy impact... but maybe not right away.

Teddy Bridgewater (MIN): The Vikings put this guy through the wringer and apparently he came out looking totally unscathed. While his deep ball accuracy may be in question, he's a cerebral QB with ability to get the ball to the pass-catcher in the perfect spot. Matt Cassel is just a stopgap. Bridgewater will be the man in Minnesota before too long.

Sammy Watkins (BUF): The Bills moved up to get Watkins, who - with the departure of Stevie Johnson - becomes the Bills' #1 WR. He will make an immediate impact as the Bills' best playmaker.

Khalil Mack (OAK): Mack provides Oakland with an impact pass-rusher from the edge. He'll be the opening-day starter at WLB. While he may not put up monster tackle numbers, the "big plays" will be aplenty, making him a solid fantasy contributor.

JaDaveon Clowney (DE - HOU): This dude is a game-changer and there should be enough fantasy value to go around in Houston for both he and J.J. Watt to be impact DLs for several years to come. He should be the first DL taken in rookie drafts.

... more later...

JaDaveon Clowney (DE - HOU): This dude is a game-changer and there should be enough fantasy value to go around in Houston for both he and J.J. Watt to be impact DLs for several years to come. He should be the first DL taken in rookie drafts.

Ahhh not so fast my friend..... Rotoworld reports that he'll be listed as an OLB. Outside of big play leagues I personally wouldn't be too interested. Value could be similar to Von Miller. Not really someone I'd look at early in IDP drafts

And now Bortles has Lee to throw to.

Ahhh not so fast my friend..... Rotoworld reports that he'll be listed as an OLB. Outside of big play leagues I personally wouldn't be too interested. Value could be similar to Von Miller. Not really someone I'd look at early in IDP drafts

I didn't read that report and I'm not sure I agree with it.

We'll see.

GAH, forgot Crennel was the DC there now. Bummer.

Edited by darin3

I didn't read that report and I'm not sure I agree with it.

We'll see.

GAH, forgot Crennel was the DC there now. Bummer.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-Quotes-Rick-Smith/2714ba51-4af9-4715-80af-1910515597a5

Rotoworld already has him as an OLB and MFL gets its designations from Roto...

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8375/jadeveon-clowney

And now Bortles has Lee to throw to.

And Robinson.

Blake Bortles (JAC): Played in a pro-style offense in college so should be NFL-ready. With only Blaine Gabbert and/or Chad Henne to beat out, he may be starting for the Jags. With Justin Blackmon (maybe?) and Cecil Shorts to throw to, he has a shot at making a fantasy impact... but maybe not right away.

Teddy Bridgewater (MIN): The Vikings put this guy through the wringer and apparently he came out looking totally unscathed. While his deep ball accuracy may be in question, he's a cerebral QB with ability to get the ball to the pass-catcher in the perfect spot. Matt Cassel is just a stopgap. Bridgewater will be the man in Minnesota before too long.

Sammy Watkins (BUF): The Bills moved up to get Watkins, who - with the departure of Stevie Johnson - becomes the Bills' #1 WR. He will make an immediate impact as the Bills' best playmaker.

Khalil Mack (OAK): Mack provides Oakland with an impact pass-rusher from the edge. He'll be the opening-day starter at WLB. While he may not put up monster tackle numbers, the "big plays" will be aplenty, making him a solid fantasy contributor.

... more later...

Gabbert was traded to the 49ers so Bortles won't be competing with him.

Edited by irish

JaDaveon Clowney (LB - HOU): As discussed above, Clowney will likely be designated as an LB in Romeo Crennel's defense. He'll still be fun to watch, but likely won't get the tackle numbers needed to be an impact player at his position, fantasy-wise. As suggested above, think Von Miller. I think he's more talented than Miller so he may have a tad more value than Miller does, but at best you're looking at a LB2/3 in most formats.

Mike Evans (WR - TBB): Evans lands in a pretty decent spot in Tampa, where he'll play across from veteran WR Vincent Jackson. Since he was drawing comparisons to Jackson pre-draft, he'll immediately "learn by osmosis" and should start Week 1. Josh McCown had two big, physical WRs as a starter for the Bears last year, so both Evans and Jackson should have fantasy value. Evans' long-term prospects are pretty good.

Justin Gilbert (CB - CLE): For those that start CBs in their leagues, Gilbert will be a solid addition due to his big playmaking skills both on defense and in the return game.

Anthony Barr (OLB - MIN): Not sure where Barr fits in Mike Zimmer's D at this point. He was a tweener at UCLA and will be in the pros too. He could be the SLB starter (not much fantasy value) or third DE. He's got talent, lots of it... so dynasty owners will have to take a chance.

Eric Ebron (TE - DET): Ebron finds himself on a team chock full of pass-catchers (Megatron, Golden Tate, etc.) but that could work to his advantage fantasy-wise. He'll find the middle of the field open quite a bit as defenders struggle to keep the edges covered. He'll eventually supplant the very average Brandon Pettigrew, but with the Lions running plenty of 2-TE sets, Ebron could have instant value.

Odell Beckham, Jr. (WR - NYG): With Hakeem Nicks moving on (and struggling before that), the G-men needed some punch on offense. Enter the dynamic Beckham, who will likely supplant fellow ex-LSU Tiger Rueben Randle (who the Giant coaching staff could be ready to give up on). Beckham will immediately provide the Giants with a big-play threat.

... more later ..

FWIW Clowney is listed as DE in MFL.... for now. :sad:

I got clarification from MFL, "We'll likely do a positional update soon. Will be up-to-date with whatever Rotoworld says" Edited by keggerz

FWIW Clowney is listed as DE in MFL.... for now. :sad:

This is the big crux. If he's listed at DE that's a game changer. He'll hold his own as a LB too, but DE is where the payout is for IDP owners.

This is the big crux. If he's listed at DE that's a game changer. He'll hold his own as a LB too, but DE is where the payout is for IDP owners.

Yeah if the guy is DL then he's a top-3-or-so dynasty guy. Nowhere near that for LB. That said, I think he's better than Von Miller.

but he won't be. FF wise I really hate the 3-4.

SHHH I'm trying to sucker Darin into taking him!

That was my initial conclusion after joining my first IDP league this year.

:lol: I actually took (and moved up to get) Clowney in a draft today. Different situation, team/league-wise, than the leagues we're in together.... I think he can put up huge numbers even as a LB. LB1-type numbers? Probably not. But if the scheme ever changes or Watt were to get hurt, he's a DL1. It was worth the risk given the picks I had in this specific league.