[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Logic behind starting same team, same position players

rotonator

Hi all, I am wondering if any of you seasoned, experienced fantasy football players ever draft and start teammates who also share the same position.

First time playing FF, and I ended up building my team with the receivers of Jeffery and Marshall, and although they are considered studs and they are better than any of my other receivers, is it wise in this case to always start your studs?

Is it more likely that in a given week/game, one of them is likely to do well (WR1 status) and have another receiver who is ranked lower do quality work than to have both Marshall and Jeffery put up WR1 points? I guess this scenario can also apply to RBs.

What are everyone's thoughts on starting teammates of same position on your fantasy teams?

Edited by rotonator

When you drafted them, were they the highest rated player at the position you decided to draft? If you answer yes, then you made the right choice.

When you make your starting lineup choices, are they your highest projected player at the position they play? If you say yes, you are making the right lineup choice.

It is not something to actively target, nor is it something to actively avoid. Your sole goal is to assemble and start the team that will score the most points. If that means starting 2 WRs from the same team, so be it. If it means having no players from the same team, so be it. The players are going to score what they are going to score... whether or not they are on your fantasy team will not affect their real life production, which determines their fantasy production.

• Like 1

I would say it's generally the exception than the rule, that drafting multiple players from the same team would represent the "highest value" for a given fantasy team - all of the stars would have to aligh perfectly during your draft in order for that to actually occur.

However, having said that, I would think there were plenty of fantasy championships won last year with rosters having some combination of Peyton Manning, Demaryius Thomas, Julius Thomas, Wes Welker, and Eric Decker...just sayin'

Also, let's not forget about the late 90's early 00's version of the "Greatest Show on Turf" with Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt! I know guys who specficially and actively targeted those guys and walked away with championships, hands down...and, it wasn't even close... but again, an exception and not the rule...

The only way you get screwed drafting the best players available even if they are on the same team is if they share a bye week with other starters on your team at the same position , but that is only a one week screwing which is better than drafting to cover the bye week with a player that is going to be out perform on most weeks

I try to avoid drafting acquiring players from same position, same team ... heck typically try to avoid overloading from any 1 NFL team anyway. Having said that I also believe in drafting best available and picking up best available, In my local I ended up with Antonio Brown and Wheaton and have started both at least once. I also ended up with Gio and JHill, have not started both yet.

The only way you get screwed drafting the best players available even if they are on the same team is if they share a bye week with other starters on your team at the same position , but that is only a one week screwing which is better than drafting to cover the bye week with a player that is going to be out perform on most weeks

I pay less attention to bye weeks during the draft than I used to as well. Draft best available and deal with off weeks when the get here ... my team is likely to look different than the one I drafted going into the bye week anyway.

• Like 2

In a season-long league, I have always been extremely hesitant to draft players at the same position from the same team. However, if I can grab a guy off of waivers and start him along with his buddy as a fill-in I will from time to time. In daily fantasy I do it quite often. For example, I was able to start Gio and Jeremy Hill a couple weeks ago on Fanday.com and won some money because of it. I guess no matter the situation, it is all about value. If I had taken Marshall and Jeffery fell three rounds to me, I would have a tough time not taking him as well.

Only did that once. Back when we dialed up at 2400 baud I drafted Chris Carter and "reached" for a rookie named Randy Moss. It didn't take long to play them together every week.

Regardless of the team...its the players. You simply manage around the bye weeks.

Got this in three leagues:

Stafford/Megatron - Bust after week 1. It'll get better.

Romo/Murray - Digging it, but picked up Eli this week and am rolling with him where I can.

Cutler/Marshall - Works out pretty well when Marshall is healthy

Never planned for any of the above, it's just what the draft handed me at the time.

The QB/RB combos seem to work best, since its rarer that both have a bad game (vs. QB with WR/TE). I've also had QB/K a few times, which is nice when the offense is driving, if it stalls you have a chance to still get the FG.

I think this happens a lot with the higher powered offenses, Manning-Harrison was a big combo for one of our owners for years.