[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dwayne Bowe to the Browns

CaptainHook

The contract numbers

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/dwayne-bowe/

Basically $9 million guaranteed (Signing bonus[$3.5M] + 2015 base [$2.6M]+ $2.85M of 2016 base).

I know many will say they overpaid but they did need to do something and they have a ton of cap space and need to also reach the minimum cap number.

I wonder if they regret passing on Sammy Watkins now?

It was truly fascinating how they totally avoided WR with such a loaded class....Had an opportunity for Watkins, traded down. Had an opportunity for OBJ, got Gilbert. Had an opportunity for Benjamin or Matthews, got Johnny Football! :yay:

Good point michaelredd9. I also think the Browns were counting on Gordon returning to form after his suspension. They may have even believed he'd somehow get out of it or have it shortened (as ended up happening). So drafting another top WR to play alongside him wasn't necessary and there were other long term needs that had to be addressed (they needed a corner, Gilbert just didn't produce and instead Skrine improved and did pretty well. Manziel, well they continue to need a franchise QB and for various reasons they thought he could be the guy. First year GM combined with what is reported as a meddling owner, there's going to be some bad draft decisions.

Mike Pettine recently said that full steam ahead with Manziel when he returns in April. I think they intend to give him every chance to learn the new (yet again) offense and improve enough to be the starter. If not they'll go with McCown until JF is ready. I'd be very surprised (and unhappy) if they use a high (first 2-3 rounds) draft pick on a QB. But both Pettine and Farmer have stressed that Manziel's treatment is the priority now, not football, not when he will return, etc.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/03/mike_pettine_on_johnny_manziel_2.html

This team has a lot of holes, as we all know. Getting two FA Wideouts will help in the short term as I don't think they're targeting a WR in first. I think they think Hartline and Bowe, mixed with Gabriel, Hawkins and hopefully Austin will see them through '15.

• Like 1

Hasn't Bowe been known to smoke the chronic, or at least possess it?

Yes, suspended one game in 2014 for violating the substance abuse policy, believed to be related to an arrest during their bye week the year before for posession.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/chiefs/2014/08/15/dwayne-bowe-suspended-Josh Gordon-kansas-city/14110109/