[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brandin Cooks

Meretc01

No feelers. He will not get back in return what you gave up/drafted for him. Ride it out. Eventually he will come around.

What has Cook done in the NFL that makes people think he is a low end #1 receiver. He is fast, but small and can not over power of post up corners. He seems to me that he is no different that all the previous NO wide receivers (except Colston). He will have some big plays every now and them but nothing consistent.

He wasn't very good last year. Drew Brees is a darn good quarterback. So if Cooks was good, he would have been good last year. There is no way to predict a receiver ascending to elite status until they do.

He was injured last year...

Cooks will be fine, he's just been getting a lot of attention and Brees isn't getting a lot of time to throw.

What has Cook done in the NFL that makes people think he is a low end #1 receiver. He is fast, but small and can not over power of post up corners. He seems to me that he is no different that all the previous NO wide receivers (except Colston). He will have some big plays every now and them but nothing consistent.

This. I never understood why Cooks was being treated like a WR1 in drafts, especially with all of the talk about NO trying to run the ball more. Brees clearly isn't what he used to be, so I don't see how Cooks returns even close to what was expected when he was drafted.

I wouldn't even call it selling low - if you can get anything close to the round value where he was drafted, I'd do it. I look at it like this - if the draft were held today, would he be drafted as a WR1? If not, then you're not technically selling low on the guy - you just made a bad pick in the initial draft. It happens to everyone.

Edited by Balzac
  • Like 2

He was injured last year...

Cooks will be fine, he's just been getting a lot of attention and Brees isn't getting a lot of time to throw.

He also had Graham attracting TONS of defensive attention. Cooks is a fine player but a WR1? I just don't see how that adds up.

This. I never understood why Cooks was being treated like a WR1 in drafts, especially with all of the talk about NO trying to run the ball more. Brees clearly isn't what he used to be, so I don't see how Cooks returns even close to what was expected when he was drafted.

I wouldn't even call it selling low - if you can get anything close to the round value where he was drafted, I'd do it. I look at it like this - if the draft were held today, would he be drafted as a WR1? If not, then you're not technically selling low on the guy - you just made a bad pick in the initial draft. It happens to everyone.

hahahahaaha this is comical.. You do realize that cooks is more talented than every reciever out of last years rookie class besides Beckham? Try and say hes not. Have you watched any Oregon State games with him? Just curious.

He also had Graham attracting TONS of defensive attention. Cooks is a fine player but a WR1? I just don't see how that adds up.

I agree, he will never be a consistent WR1. Just for reference, I took him in the 3rd round in my local 12 team, but I also had OBJ as a keeper and Dez at 2.01. So I still consider that to be good value for what I think he should produce.

hahahahaaha this is comical.. You do realize that cooks is more talented than every reciever out of last years rookie class besides Beckham? Try and say hes not. Have you watched any Oregon State games with him? Just curious.

You appear to have a strange sense of humor. How exactly is his talent relevant to other rookie WRs from last year in any way relevant to whether he's a viable WR1 this year? Maybe try reading the actual post before responding next time - I said nothing at all about his talent level. Nothing - I just don't think he'll produce enough to be a WR1. Like I said, fine player. WR1 in fantasy football? I don't see it.

• Like 1

He wasn't very good last year. Drew Brees is a darn good quarterback. So if Cooks was good, he would have been good last year. There is no way to predict a receiver ascending to elite status until they do.

do you have any idea what you are talking about? Cooks had some very good moments and then bang. Injured and out.

You appear to have a strange sense of humor. How exactly is his talent relevant to other rookie WRs from last year in any way relevant to whether he's a viable WR1 this year? Maybe try reading the actual post before responding next time - I said nothing at all about his talent level. Nothing - I just don't think he'll produce enough to be a WR1. Like I said, fine player. WR1 in fantasy football? I don't see it.

Thats fair enough just not sure what the difference is between OBJ Production healthy with Eli as opposed to Drew if ok

I think you'll see with Spiller getting worked back into the rotation, Cooks getting a little less attention. The issue now is how much Brees' shoulder limits the passing game.

Thats fair enough just not sure what the difference is between OBJ Production healthy with Eli as opposed to Drew if ok

The difference is usage, usage and usage. Let's look quickly at per game stats from last season (ODB played 12; Cooks played 10):

Targets/game - ODB = 10.83; Cooks = 6.9

Receptions/target - ODB = .7; Cooks = .77

Yards/rec - ODB = 14.34; Cooks = 10.37

TDs/rec - ODB = .132; Cooks = .057

So the big takeaways here are that (i) Cooks actually had a better catch/target ratio and (ii) ODB's usage and efficiency in every other category blew him out of the water - not really even comparable. This doesn't speak to who is more talented - it's more of an indication of how they were (and likely will continue to be) used. The ball gets chucked to ODB more - and more often downfield than to Cooks. That's just what happens and it has a direct impact on their fantasy production. What would happen if they switched teams? I have no idea but it would be fun to find out.

Now, another big consideration here is that Cooks' stats all factored in the presence of Jimmy Graham - so the real question in analyzing this from 2014 to 2015 is how taking Jimmy Graham out of the equation impacts Cooks. I could see someone arguing that no Graham means many, many more targets for Cooks (which would most likely reduce his overall efficiency) but I'm more of the mind that losing Graham will actually hurt Cooks because defenses won't be dedicating a safety to play over the top of Graham on every single route he runs.

In short, ODB has proven that he can be a WR1, even when he's the only real receiving threat on his team. Cooks hasn't shown that (he may show it this year . . . way too early to close the book on him), so that's why I wasn't nearly as high on him as a WR1.

• Like 2