[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seahawks

Seahawks21

After quietly sitting back and watching the last few months unfold, I now feel ready to make my assessment of the Seahawks offseason. The hype around Hasselbeck and Jones getting done really kind of put up a smokescreen that blinded fans to how truly horrible the rest of the team, the defense in particular, had been handled. The Sharper signing was BIG, I'll give em that.

I feel the vast majority of Hawks fans are drastically underestimating the changes in our defense.

Anthony Simmons and Chad Brown are GONE. While often hurt, they were probably our two most talented defensive players. Instead, you are now starting DeDee freaking Lewis!!!!

Chike Okeafor is gone. While I was never a huge fan of his while he was here, he was a guy who was a legitimate starting DE. Your big replacement....Bryce Fisher. So now he comepetes with the rest of our backups to see which one is the least awful.

We also didn't make any noise whatsoever at DT. Hopefully M. Tubbs takes a step forward, but even then, we are average at best at DT.

3 years ago, we had Kaczyvenski or whatever starting at MLB. Awful run defense, one of, if not, the worst in NFL history. The next year we went out and got Randall Godfrey, just a reliable guy, and our defense started to make a bit of noise and got exciting and we made the run into the playoffs. Then last year we let Godfrey go and continuously recycled three subpar MLBs in his place and WOW, we had an awful,, inconsistent Run D!!!! Amazing!! And our answer was to reach a round or two on a slow, small guy with good character!!! Come on guys learn from your mistakes.....and success!!

Bad D-Line + worst LB core in NFL = 7-9 if the offense is ON FIRE.

P.S. Shaun Alexander no-showed the first "mandatory" mini-camp or workout or whatever as he hasn't shown his face around Headquarters to sign his tender. Koren reportedly was there looked good

I think this may be Holmgren's swan song in Seattle. 7-9 sounds about right. KRob can look as good as he pleases, bottom line is he is awful. Hassel may have a good year anyway, as I see the Hawks playing from behind most of the year. That will hurt Alexander's numbers too. The WR signings were awful too, IMO. Oakland might score 100 points on Seattle this year. Not saying they will, but, I think it's on this side of a long shot.

Bad D-Line + worst LB core in NFL = 7-9 if the offense is ON FIRE.   

798762[/snapback]

Alright, you riled me up. At the risk of sounding like the collossal homer I am, It's WAAAYYYY to early to start booing the Hawks. Can't you wait until at least halftime of the first game? :D

Let's break it down, Bonehand style :D :

D-Line

DE's: Wistrom back, Okeafer traded for Fisher. Okeafer had a few good games, but disappeared in others, often due to double teams with Wistrom out. With 2 healthy & respectable (not superstar, but solid) DE's running at once, I call it a wash. I also expect another veteran DE to be signed after the June 1st cuts.

DT's: Tubbs will have a full training camp under his ample belt this year, a fact which alone will improve the big man's production. Bernard & Moore were both productive last year, added depth with Darby. IMO, The interior is better overall.

Net result: a wash at worst

LB's:

Sharper's durability alone an improvement over Brown & Simmons, and of course Kacyvenski. I liked Koutouvides a lot last year, main fault overpursuit as a rookie, but a good wrap-up tackler. I expect improvement here as well, He's better than Huff. And as far as Lewis goes, don't forget he led the team in tackles for four games in '03, and is lightning fast to boot, even faster than the vaunted Simmons.

Net result: Improved.

DB's

Alright, you've got Trufant, Hamlin & Boulware returning, all with more experience. You are replacing Lucas & Taylor with Dyson & Herndon,who are both faster than their predecessors. (I am predicting Taylor to be a 6/1 cap casualty)

Net result: Improved.

Granted this is no way empirical evidence, but an informed case CAN BE made that the D is better overall than LY. And even with the 'Hawks gloriously snakebit history, there is NO WAY they will have as many injured defensive starters week-in, week-out, as they did last year. So, with all due respect Seahawks21, I have to say that calling the D-line simply bad & the linebacking corp the worst in the NFL this early in the game is nothing but typical Seattle-fan, Sky-is-falling, haven't-won-a-playoff-game-in-29-years, Why-Chuck-Knox-have-thou-forsaken-me, overly-negative ridiculousness, and I disagree completely.

My call: a 9-7 season, with the improvement in defense mitigated by what will ultimately prove to be a tougher schedule than LY, but the Hawk's will win their first playoff game since I was in High School. However, If I'm wrong Seahawks21, it would be my pleasure to humbly buy you a very large beer! :D

Edited by Bonehand

I quite simply disagree. Bryce Fischer is a downgrade from Chike. Sharper/Lewis is a wash, not an upgrade from Brown/Kaz, Simmons/Kaz. The DT's were not productive other than the first handful of games. Dyson is a downgrade from Lucas. Herndon/Taylor is a wash. Herndon ain't no good.

Not to belabor the point, but I just don't believe the Hawks suck as bad as you think they do. a couple things to look at:

Bryce Fischer is a downgrade from Chike. 

798856[/snapback]

If he is a downgrade, It's a slight one. Chike had only 2 more solo tackles, & they had exactly the same sack total.

NAME TOT SOLO AST SACK STF STFY FF BK INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD

Fisher 46 38 8 9 3 4 2 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 1

Okeafor 53 40 13 9 6 9 3 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

Herndon ain't no good.

798856[/snapback]

Actually, I would argue that Herndon isn't as bad as you think. With the exception of Interceptions, Herndon measures up to Lucas nicely in all other statistical areas. And he did have 2 more forced fumbles than Lucas. You are right that Dyson was well below Lucas LY. Dyson didn't have as many tackles, but equaled Lucas in INT.

And as I said, both are faster.

NAME TOT SOLO AST SACK STF STFY FF BK INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD

Herndon 69 60 9 1 5 18 3 0 2 17 8.5 15 0 23

Lucas 67 60 7 0 3 9 1 0 6 46 7.7 25 1 21

Dyson 41 36 5 0 0 0 0 0 6 135 22.5 44 0 15

Alright, I'm done. I'll leave you alone now :D

Edited by Bonehand

Stats don't mean a whole lot to most defensive players, especially corners. I'm just saying, having spent some time watching the guy, he isn't very good. He's an average to above average nickel. I woke up thinking about what you said. Ya know, what, any way I try to come to the conclusion, Sharper/Kuta/Lewis is a HORRIBLE linebacking group, for my money, the worst in the NFL. Lewis and Kuta are simply not NFL starting LB caliber players.

Stats don't mean a whole lot to most defensive players, especially corners.  I'm just saying, having spent some time watching the guy, he isn't very good.  He's an average to above average nickel.  I woke up thinking about what you said.  Ya know, what, any way I try to come to the conclusion, Sharper/Kuta/Lewis is a HORRIBLE linebacking group, for my money, the worst in the NFL.  Lewis and Kuta are simply not NFL starting LB caliber players.

799044[/snapback]

That's cool, We can agree to disagree. I'll still buy you a beer tho.

KC's linebackers are WAY worse than SEA's...fwiw...

...well, at least until the end of last season... Now, KC is probably better than SEA, but, they haven't been for the past couple of years. Not even close.

Any of you guys coming down to Jville to start the year off? If so I'll happily buy the first pitcher.

800312[/snapback]

oh man I wish I could be there. All things considered, Jacksonville is probably my 2nd favorite NFL team. I am every bit the Mark Brunell fan that I am a Reggie Williams fan. Furthermore, Fred Taylor is my favorite RB to watch (right ahead of Westbrook). That being said, MAN I'D LOVE TO BE THERE WHEN THE HAWKS FLY IN JACKSONVILLE!!! BWWWAAAAKKKKK BWWWAAAAAKKKKK!!!

Any of you guys coming down to Jville to start the year off? If so I'll happily buy the first pitcher.

800312[/snapback]

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be making it to Jacksonville for opening day, But if & when we do cross paths I'll drink your beer, & buy you 2, simply for all the avatar watching joy you've given me! :D