[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

FA Bidding-can someone provide some

alchico

I recently joined a new dynasty league (at the last minute, literly(sp) just before the draft)and i'm having trouble with the FA rules.

I've never been in a league where you bid on FA, thus i've had many Q for the league. Most of the answers i've gotten don't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Here are the rules with my questions to follow, anyone with FA bidding experance please let me know if my concerns are legit or are the norm for FA bidding.

Part 4 - Draft/Free Agency

Rookie Draft: 5 rounds, reverse order of previous year’s standings (playoffs)

Free Agency $$: $100 per year, maximum of $25 rollover.

FA$ is used to bid upon free agents and can be used in trades.

Up to here i'm OK

Free Agency: You must make a thread in our forum to bid upon free agents. Thread must be made Monday or Tuesday. After 24 hours from latest bid or a decision that nobody wants to go higher, the player is awarded. If by Friday there is no decision, bidding is suspened on the weekend, and started again on Monday. Weekly FA moves will be posted on Sunday. A player on the current team must be dropped to make room for free agent. When bidding on multiple players, you must have enough FA$ to cover all bids.

Waivers: Once a player is dropped, they are eligible for FA. Follow rules above.

Here are my concerns about the rest.

1. You have to tell people who you are bidding on-Whats the point of doing your homework/research and then letting the whole league know who you think is the next big pickup????

2. Why do i have to decide by mon/tue who i want-I may not know i need somebody until later in the week, ie injury, arrest, suspension...

3. Why do you have to divulge the bid amount-Your definatly not gonna scoop somebody up cheap this way-goes back to the prep/homework theme.

4. Friday no decision, bidding is suspended??? Wow if somebody wants to keep me from making a FA pickup all he has to do is keep the bidding going and i won't get him.

5. you must have enough money to cover all the bids-From previous request for clarification, i've been told to bid on more than 1 guy, so that i at least get somebody, but if i win them all i must take them all.

The things that bug me the most are exposing the player i want and having to possibly wait till friday to know if i get them.

If i'm out to lunch on my concerns and this is the way FA bidding usually works, please let me know.

Thanks IA for your input and sorry if this is a little long!!! ::D

4. Friday no decision, bidding is suspended??? Wow if somebody wants to keep me from making a FA pickup all he has to do is keep the bidding going and i won't get him.

855688[/snapback]

That is just retarded

There seems like there is something wrong with that bidding process.

I would bring those concerns to the commish. Have they always done it that way?

855853[/snapback]

:D now we get made fun of.

alchico, it is pretty obvious that we are making corrections to the rules, and if you havent noticed by now (not to be insulting), i think we have gone away with open bidding (i think). it will either be hidden bidding (i think), or some waiver wire process.

so stay updated with our conversations and polls (i believe hidden bidding is winning).

first year league so all the rules are being tweaked

Edited by seminoles

alchico, it is pretty obvious that we are making corrections to the rules, and if you havent noticed by now (not to be insulting), i think we have gone away with open bidding (i think). it will either be hidden bidding (i think), or some waiver wire process.

so stay updated with our conversations and polls (i believe hidden bidding is winning).

855897[/snapback]

Not making fun :D

Just seemed like a strange bidding process...

855897[/snapback]

I'm not trying to get us laughed at or ridiculed, and i'm not trying to change the rules of the league. I'm just trying to get some info from others who use FA bidding to see how they do it.

Your always going to get smart alec remarks from someone that's the nature of the board. I've gotten used to ignoring the bull and just taking the good info from the few who offer it.

There is a lot bigger wealth of knowledge on the whole board than just in our forum.

I'm not trying to get us laughed at or ridiculed, and i'm not trying to change the rules of the league. I'm just trying to get some info from others who use FA bidding to see how they do it.

Your always going to get smart alec remarks from someone that's the nature of the board. I've gotten used to ignoring the bull and just taking the good info from the few who offer it.

There is a lot bigger wealth of knowledge on the whole board than just in our forum.

856442[/snapback]

ok (not in a sarcastic way)

I'm not trying to get my league ridiculed, just looking for some info. Anyone who has FA bidding, please let me know how you handle it.

The FA bidding process in this league is AFU. Sorry, but it is. It should be a blind bid. this public bidding is something that should be for restricted FA's, after year one. Public FA bidding is an asinine system. don't try to reinvent the wheel with a new league.... there are tried and true ways to make it work. Improvements are fine, but they tend to be tweaks, not blatantly BAD changes like public FA bidding. just MHO of course,

I agree with you, Rovers, for the most part. A public free agent bid is ridiculous (in my opinion) if the name of the owner bidding is the public info. However, I disagree if its a FA bidding system where the name of the FA and the amount of the high bid are the only 2 items that are made public until after the bidding is complete. Only at that time would everyone know the 'winner' of the FA.

As a member of the above-mentioned league, we are still hashing out our FA process. 2 main issues of concern that I have seen are the ability to pick up a 'filler' player at the last minute due to injury, suspension, etc., and also the ability to grab a sleeper FA without everyone jumping on the bandwagon. I have suggested the following (which i have seen used in other leagues without any problems)and I believe it would satisfy both of those issues:

Any owner can nominate any FA at any time by simply sending the commish the name of the FA and the starting bid. The commish would then announce (make public) to the rest of the league only the name of said FA and the amount of the opening bid. From that point, there would be a 48 hour time period of bidding, with the commish updating the high bid amount every so often. At the 48 hour mark, the commish would announce (make public) the name of the FA, the amount of the winning bid, and then, AND ONLY THEN, the name of the owner that 'won' the FA.

I don't see any issues with this process at all. Maybe I am missing something that someone in this forum might easily see. Please feel free to comment. As I said earlier, our FA process is still a work-in-progress.

I've seen leagues that open the FA blind bids on Wed or Thur, once those are opened, any remaining FA's can be picked up prior to game time. That is in non dynasty leagues. In dynasty leagues I like bigger rosters, with only one FA bid per week. This means each team will have enough players on thier roster to replace players who might get injured late in the week.

A league I'm in uses public bidding on FAs, and if there are any players open at the earlier of 24hrs before the first game (in the case of Thursday or Friday games) or Thursday at midnight (I think), all open players go to a blind bid. Has worked well for us for several years.

1. You have to tell people who you are bidding on-Whats the point of doing your homework/research and then letting the whole league know who you think is the next big pickup????

It becomes a matter of who values the player the most and if you've done your homework you will learn to value the players. However, you will still have some in your league that blow their wads on early free agents that look promising. The auction process prevents guys who live, breathe, eat and sleep while watching football and being logged on from grabbing all the desireable free agents before anybody else has had an opportunity to act (and all leagues have at least one of these guys).

2. Why do i have to decide by mon/tue who i want-I may not know i need somebody until later in the week, ie injury, arrest, suspension...

In our dynasty league bidding is open until Thursday. Players are awarded when 24 hours has elapsed since the last bid. If by Thursday noon there are players that have not been awarded they go into a blind bid process and are awarded by Friday. I don't like the carry over in your league ... all players that have been bid on in a week should be awarded by week's end. There are too many opportunities for games. Two owners can up the bid on a player by the minimum increments after allowing the maximum time to elapse and keep a player locked down for the whole season. Anyway ... after blind bids have been awarded we have a small window of time where it is first come first serve at the minumum salary for owners to fill out any needs they might have for that week. For us that is Friday and Saturday.

3. Why do you have to divulge the bid amount-Your definatly not gonna scoop somebody up cheap this way-goes back to the prep/homework theme.

Many leagues are set up on a blind bid process. Personally I wouldn't care for one of those because I know that I would over-pay for all my acquisitions. No I like open bidding.

I agree, I don't like this one at all. I firmly believe that free agency should open at the beginning of the week and close at the end of the week and when it closes all players have been awarded. Any other way leaves room for owners to do bad things.

5. you must have enough money to cover all the bids-From previous request for clarification, i've been told to bid on more than 1 guy, so that i at least get somebody, but if i win them all i must take them all.

This is a necessary evil. If you bid you MUST be prepared to pay. It would be total chaos to let owners bid on mulitple players, win multiple players and then only take one on their roster. Imagine this scenario ... there are 3 players out for bid, 2 you really want, 1 you will settle for. The bidding is heated and in the end you end up paying a little more than you wanted for the player you were willing to settle for. The other 2 players went to the same owner. You spent more than you wanted to make sure you got ONE of the players. Then the other owner takes only 1 of the players and some other owner gets the player he didn't take for LESS than you paid for the one you settled for. No, if you win a player then you MUST make room for him on your roster.

The things that bug me the most are exposing the player i want and having to possibly wait till friday to know if i get them.

Such is the world of auction leagues. If you are playing in a competitive league you probably aren't really 'exposing' something the other owners in your league didn't already know anyway.

Blitz and I are in the same league, and the FA rules are good and fair. He was more accurate in describing out cutoffs, etc. than I was.

PS - It helps to have a good commish...

Edited by muck

It becomes a matter of who values the player the most and if you've done your homework you will learn to value the players.  However, you will still have some in your league that blow their wads on early free agents that look promising.  The auction process prevents guys who live, breathe, eat and sleep while watching football and being logged on from grabbing all the desireable free agents before anybody else has had an opportunity to act (and all leagues have at least one of these guys).

In our dynasty league bidding is open until Thursday.  Players are awarded when 24 hours has elapsed since the last bid.  If by Thursday noon there are players that have not been awarded they go into a blind bid process and are awarded by Friday.  I don't like the carry over in your league ... all players that have been bid on in a week should be awarded by week's end.  There are too many opportunities for games.  Two owners can up the bid on a player by the minimum increments after allowing the maximum time to elapse and keep a player locked down for the whole season.  Anyway ... after blind bids have been awarded we have a small window of time where it is first come first serve at the minumum salary for owners to fill out any needs they might have for that week.  For us that is Friday and Saturday.

Many leagues are set up on a blind bid process.  Personally I wouldn't care for one of those because I know that I would over-pay for all my acquisitions.  No I like open bidding.

I agree, I don't like this one at all.  I firmly believe that free agency should open at the beginning of the week and close at the end of the week and when it closes all players have been awarded.  Any other way leaves room for owners to do bad things.

This is a necessary evil.  If you bid you MUST be prepared to pay.  It would be total chaos to let owners bid on mulitple players, win multiple players and then only take one on their roster.  Imagine this scenario ... there are 3 players out for bid, 2 you really want, 1 you will settle for.  The bidding is heated and in the end you end up paying a little more than you wanted for the player you were willing to settle for.  The other 2 players went to the same owner.  You spent more than you wanted to make sure you got ONE of the players.  Then the other owner takes only 1 of the players and some other owner gets the player he didn't take for LESS than you paid for the one you settled for.  No, if you win a player then you MUST make room for him on your roster.

Such is the world of auction leagues.  If you are playing in a competitive league you probably aren't really 'exposing' something the other owners in your league didn't already know anyway.

861668[/snapback]

Thanks Grits :D this is exactly the kind of info i was looking for, appreciate you taking the time to post this info

Thanks Grits :D this is exactly the kind of info i was looking for, appreciate you taking the time to post this info

861777[/snapback]

No problem ... it looks to me like you are just nervous about the new format. I really like the auction style and the open bidding is another fun part of the league.

Grits and muck, thanks for the post.

Alchico, sorry if I couldn't help alleviate some of your concerns. I hope that Grits' and muck's posts did exactly that.

Feel free to PM or email me anytime and I'll try to be of help.