[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which Baseball Record is the Most Impressive?

whitem0nkey

That was more indicative of that era when the playing fields were a lot bigger.  Now a lot of those hits would either be doubles, as it would hit the fence sooner or the fielder has less space to cover getting thg the ball sooner, or the longer hits would be home-run balls.

1441735[/snapback]

This fact makes Babe Ruth's 60 HRs even more impressive because his had a lot further to go.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted other for Cal Ripken.  His streak will never be broken.

1442798[/snapback]

While that is true, I'm more impressed by records that take extraordinary talent, not as much by longevity.

Theoritically, a marginal player could break Ripken's record, but not some of the others mentioned.

While that is true, I'm more impressed by records that take extraordinary talent, not as much by longevity.

Theoritically, a marginal player could break Ripken's record, but not some of the others mentioned.

1442802[/snapback]

But, of course, you have to be a pretty good talent to be kept in the lineup to even approach a consecutive games streak like that. Marginal players do not last long in the majors.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cherni
Didn't read thru the whole mess either but has anybody hit .400 or better for a season lately?

1458082[/snapback]

Not a chance but Rod Carew hit .388 in 1977. Not too shabby.

Guest Cherni
Didn't he also sit out a game or two at the end of the year to win the batting title?

1458387[/snapback]

From SI today:

Williams entered the last day of the 1941 season with a .3995 average -- a mark that would have been rounded up to .400 if he had sat out the final game. Instead, Williams went 6-for-8 to increase his average to .406, the last time a hitter eclipsed the .400 mark for a season. The most serious threats were George Brett in 1980 (.390) and Tony Gwynn in a strike-shortened 1994 season (.394).

From SI today:

Williams entered the last day of the 1941 season with a .3995 average -- a mark that would have been rounded up to .400 if he had sat out the final game. Instead, Williams went 6-for-8 to increase his average to .406, the last time a hitter eclipsed the .400 mark for a season. The most serious threats were George Brett in 1980 (.390) and Tony Gwynn in a strike-shortened 1994 season (.394).

1462981[/snapback]

Not only did Williams play the last day, he played BOTH games of a double header...even though he was well past .400 after the first game that day!

Not only did Williams play the last day, he played BOTH games of a double header...even though he was well past .400 after the first game that day!

1473414[/snapback]

I was wondering how he could go 6 for 8 in one game unless it was incredibly long and high scoring at the same time.

Ol' Ted had some serious nads to risk his achievement not once but twice.

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering how he could go 6 for 8 in one game unless it was incredibly long and high scoring at the same time.

Ol' Ted had some serious nads to risk his achievement not once but twice.

I'm guessing after flying fighter planes in WW II and Korea, "risking" a .400 season doesn't bother a guy so much. :D