[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let me ask you Smokers these questions

cliaz

And this is a serious question, I’m not asking this to piss anyone off.

You smoke. You pay on average $4.25 a pack. You smoke a pack a day. In a year you spend about $1551.25 to smoke. You are aware that smoking greatly impacts your health and that 1/3 of you on this board will die of a tobacco related illness.

Okay now the question.

1. Why continue to smoke? Is it that you are so addicted mentally and physically that the pains of withdraws are too much? Or is it ingrained so deeply into your life that it has become a second nature item like breathing?

2. If you could push a button that would make it so you could quit right then and there for the rest of your life without withdraw would you do it?

I’m curious because every single smoker I know (except Roger who admits he can’t quit because he is addicted to it.) says they can quit at anytime they wish they just choose not to. If that was the case why continue to do it?

I’m just curious and this isn’t meant to agitate you all. I know when people ask why don’t you quit you all get upset about that. I just want to know the real (truthful) reasons as to why.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cherni

I'm an ex-smoker and it was a really tough addiction to break. From what I've read it's harder to kick smoking than to quit shooting heroin. If you never have smoked you really have no idea what kind of grip cigarettes have on you. It can't be explained to someone that never had the addiction.

Anyone who is a smoker and tells you they can quit whenever they want is flat out lying or in denial. I tried numerous times and finally was able to do it. It wasn't easy, it was probably the toughest thing I've ever had to do, it's more mental than physical though. 3 days after your last drag all the nicotine is gone but you still want one, it's crazy.

I'm an ex-smoker and it was a really tough addiction to break. From what I've read it's harder to kick smoking than to quit shooting heroin. If you never have smoked you really have no idea what kind of grip cigarettes have on you. It can't be explained to someone that never had the addiction.

Anyone who is a smoker and tells you they can quit whenever they want is flat out lying or in denial. I tried numerous times and finally was able to do it. It wasn't easy, it was probably the toughest thing I've ever had to do, it's more mental than physical though. 3 days after your last drag all the nicotine is gone but you still want one, it's crazy.

My mother could never quit, even after being diagnosed with Emphasema (sp?) she still smoked 3 or 4 cigs every day until she finally died. My father was in the same boat, but he quit when he was around 50 and lived till 75 but still died of various cancers including lung. My brother that just died had lung cancer as well. All good reasons for me to never smoke.

I'd quit right now if my Easy button covered it. I'm addicted but I've got my hands full with correcting other behavior issues at the moment.

that's understandable, I really hope things are going well with you.

Guest Cherni

Like when you have a nic fit, what does it do to you?

Your heart rate goes up, you feel edgy and all you can think about is a cigarette.

And screw you and your ABWF comment. :D

1. Why continue to smoke? Is it that you are so addicted mentally and physically that the pains of withdraws are too much? Or is it ingrained so deeply into your life that it has become a second nature item like breathing?

Its just kinda part of who I am now. It gives me a reason to take a break @ work or from the rugrats. But mostly just cause it makes me look so fuggin kewl, like a rebel. :D

2. If you could push a button that would make it so you could quit right then and there for the rest of your life without withdraw would you do it?

Therein lies the other side of the coin. Yes, I would quit if it were like that and i had no memories of how kewl it was to smoke.

See (and it's funny there was already a smoking thread on here but..) both my mother and father smoke. My father is 55 years old (not the firefighter guy, that is my step father) has smoked since he was like 14 and he had a heart attack last year. He still hasn't quit. My mother quit for like 5 years but went back to it and she is 54 and been smoking since she was 18.

I've tried and tried and tried to get them to quit. My father just simply wont do it. my mother wants to but can't.

And this is a serious question, I’m not asking this to piss anyone off.

You smoke.

True

You pay on average $4.25 a pack.

$3.90

You smoke a pack a day.

No, I don't. It's actually about 15 a day.

In a year you spend about $1551.25 to smoke.

At $3.00 x 365, that's $1,095 a year

You are aware that smoking greatly impacts your health and that 1/3 of you on this board will die of a tobacco related illness.

And others will die of stroke, car crash, air crash, cancer, hepatitis, diabetes and any of the myriad other ways humans have of ringing down the curtain and joining the choir invisible.

Okay now the question.

I actually enjoy it some of the time, mostly when drinking or relaxing in the yard or when taking a much needed break from work.

Yes.

I’m curious because every single smoker I know (except Roger who admits he can’t quit because he is addicted to it.) says they can quit at anytime they wish they just choose not to. If that was the case why continue to do it?

They lie.

I’m just curious and this isn’t meant to agitate you all. I know when people ask why don’t you quit you all get upset about that. I just want to know the real (truthful) reasons as to why.

Thanks in advance.

You're welcome.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

$3.90

That's pretty cheap. Around here they can go as high as $5.50 a pack. When we went down to Nag's Head we stopped at this Gas station just over the rt. 301 bridge and they were selling Marlboro light boxes for $2.95 a pack. That is the cheapest i've ever seen it.

Serious answers

I buy by the carton. About $25 a carton for 10 pack, so that's two-fitty.

Smoking is enjoyable.

I'm gonna try to quit when I get in the new house, but will tell no one I'm going to quit. Then you get the idjuts preaching to you if you fail...and you will fail the first few times.

I don't care what others think about smoking. I stopped caring what others thought about the time I reach adulthood. I don't live my life to please others.

I never go to the doctor so I'm not a burden on the insurance at all. In fact all the non-smokin' wimmin I work with go everytime they sneeze are the real burden.

The guy that popularized jogging dropped dead at about 50 years old.

The Japanese live longer than any other race yet they all smoke like chimneys, indoors and out.

A friend of mine who had never smoked and hated smoking dropped dead of a heart attack at 41.

The husband of a lady who works here died in his sleep aged 37.

Just a few factoids to point out that things are not quite always as they should be - and as some would like them to be.

I don't care what others think about smoking. I stopped caring what others thought about the time I reach adulthood. I don't live my life to please others.

Bingo. I am f'n tired of being preached at. If anyone ever meets me and wants to get me really pissed, just do some self-righteous critical preaching.

Scientific proof that smokers are stupid from the American Journal of Public Health:

Cigarette smokers more likely to suffer memory loss in middle age

Smoking more than 20 cigarettes a day can cause memory loss and other cognitive problems in middle age, according to a study of almost 2,000 British adults. The study participants were tested on verbal memory, speed and concentration at age 43 and again at age 53. Researchers found that heavy smokers suffered the largest decline in these cognitive functions. All smokers were susceptible to memory loss regardless of sex, race or socioeconomic status. And while heavy smokers often die younger than non-smokers from such illnesses as cancer and heart disease, those who do survive into old age are more likely to suffer from memory loss and dementia, or what the study's authors called "clinically significant cognitive decline."

[From: "Cigarette Smoking and Cognitive Decline in Midlife: Evidence From a Prospective Birth Cohort Study." Contact: Marcus Richards, PhD, MRC, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, m.richards@ucl.ac.uk.]

Not only are smokers dumber than normal people, but they are also impotent limp d!cks.

According to Denver urologist Lawrence Karsh, M.D., smoking is one of the worst things a young man can do to his body. We already know about smoking's link to lung cancer and heart disease. But smoking, over many years' time, can also damage and block the blood vessels inside the weeener, resulting in a failure to sustain a normal erection. In most cases, the damage won't be seen until it's too late - - sometimes not for 20 - 30 years or longer.

10g...doctors are stupid. Except Chargerz, of course. Doctors have killed more people with stupidity in history than cigs. How many relatives of mine have gone in healthy and come out dead after seeing doctor? Grandmother, check. Grandfather, check. Uncle, check.

Cliaz I can honestly say that if that magical button to quit smoking existed I would press it repeatedly just to be sure it worked. Smoking sucks and the addiction is like none other.

Word!

True

$3.90

No, I don't. It's actually about 15 a day.

At $3.00 x 365, that's $1,095 a year

And others will die of stroke, car crash, air crash, cancer, hepatitis, diabetes and any of the myriad other ways humans have of ringing down the curtain and joining the choir invisible.

I actually enjoy it some of the time, mostly when drinking or relaxing in the yard or when taking a much needed break from work.

Yes.

They lie.

You're welcome.

Good info. A carton here is $32.

Bingo. I am f'n tired of being preached at. If anyone ever meets me and wants to get me really pissed, just do some self-righteous critical preaching.

Oh hey I'm not preaching to you at all. Just curious being a non-smoker why it's so hard to quit.

Scientific proof that smokers are stupid from the American Journal of Public Health:

Not only are smokers dumber than normal people, but they are also impotent limp d!cks.

What concerns me is why this is such a big deal for y'all. Is it that overarching need for conformity that manifests itself in your pathetic need to be able to point fingers at those that don't conform to your narrow view of what should be?

I smoke, I make darn sure not to do it anywhere it would be a nuisance to anyone else including in crowded places outside, I dispose of the butts properly, what more do you f'n want?

F off. :D

10g...doctors are stupid. Except Chargerz, of course. Doctors have killed more people with stupidity in history than cigs. How many relatives of mine have gone in healthy and come out dead after seeing doctor? Grandmother, check. Grandfather, check. Uncle, check.

Well yeah, I guess you have a point.

http://www.healingdaily.com/Doctors-Are-Th...h-in-the-US.htm