[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Wine List and bargain bin

twiley

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Five so far for a wine league?

Official count for the Wine League (we have to come up with a better name);

1 - nogohawk

2 - Lord Opie

3 - twiley

4 - bier meister

5 - bpwallace49

6 - wiegie

Others mentioned

detlef

Seattle LawDawg

Time to get this thing going ...

I'd be interested, but would like to see what level of wine we are playing for first!

That wasn't such a big deal for my league because enough of us all knew each other and saw each other on a daily basis so I was able to pretty much just say that each person's reputation was at stake. I wanted to inspire people to find something cool, not necc. of a certain $ value.

On the other hand, with a bunch of guys from all over the place, I can see how we'd need to come to an understanding. I would say that each person pledges up front and, if enough guys veto it, they have to go back to the drawing board. Those of us with deeper cellars can pledge later once we see where the level is falling.

I've seen sundaynfl's list of juice and there's no way he should be setting the bar because it will be impossible for most to match. On the other hand, if the more casual collectors start it up...

My guess is that we should be looking for somewhere in the range of $50 per bottle. Much lower and we waste too much of the relative value shipping this crap around. There's an outside chance that I'm taking the season off next year as I expect to be eyeball deep in a new project, but if I'm playing at all, I'm playing in this.

If I had to stab at the stakes, I'd say each person stakes $50 in cash up front and a $50 bottle. Somehow, shipping and site management are taken out of the $500-$600 in cash with obviously the rest being doled out to the winners along with the juice. Everyone would need to hold on to their wine until the end so they'd only have to ship it once.

I also suggest we talk Kid Cid into it. He and I left our bet of a bottle on UNC v UConn to loser's discretion and he certainly came correct with what he sent. :wacko:

As far as the Bargain bin list goes, I'd suggest St. Francis RED. 100% Sonoma County grapes, instead of the mandatory 75%. It's a red blend that I'm constantly shipping to my accounts on every order. A very good red for someone who's just getting into red wine, and normal wino's like it as well. St.Francis RED is $9.99 in the Dallas market.

Concannon also has a pretty good cab and merlot that are in the $10-$15 range.

Hmm . . are you thinking straight dollar value or also take rarity in consideration?

For instance, if a player threw in a bottle of a certain Turley Zinfandel, I would be cool with that because it is hard as hell to get, even though the "book value" might be around 40 bucks a bottle . . .

Hmm . . are you thinking straight dollar value or also take rarity in consideration?

For instance, if a player threw in a bottle of a certain Turley Zinfandel, I would be cool with that because it is hard as hell to get, even though the "book value" might be around 40 bucks a bottle . . .

Turleys have a pretty big $ range. We opened an 01 Hayne Vineyard a couple weeks ago. Wasn't my bottle so I can't say for sure, but it was probably over $40.

That's why I didn't want the dollar value to be to strict. More a guideline. I would way rather get some very cool and hard to find gem than some random cab from Napa that I can find anywhere.

That's why I didn't want the dollar value to be to strict. More a guideline. I would way rather get some very cool and hard to find gem than some random cab from Napa that I can find anywhere.

I'd even be up for giving the potential winner (obviously it would be me :D ) a choice of one of three from my inventory.

Maybe there is something that they would prefer.

Just my :wacko:

That brings up a good point if looking only at $ numbers: There are often big differences between current value and release price.

Sine Qua Non is a good example. Relatively inexpensive if you're on the list but crazy expensive if you buy elsewhere.

Sine Qua Non is a good example. Relatively inexpensive if you're on the list but crazy expensive if you buy elsewhere.

Did I tell you how good the Poker Face is? I'll say this: as much profit as I could have made, it was worth drinking.

Exactly right though. Flipping wine continues to turn a better profit than a lot of other investments. It has slowed down a bit lately and this year, we're seeing a glut of mailing list - only wines being dumped near cost (like KB) so I haven't been doing much selling lately. Hopefully it will pick up again down the road.

Did I tell you how good the Poker Face is? I'll say this: as much profit as I could have made, it was worth drinking.

Exactly right though. Flipping wine continues to turn a better profit than a lot of other investments. It has slowed down a bit lately and this year, we're seeing a glut of mailing list - only wines being dumped near cost (like KB) so I haven't been doing much selling lately. Hopefully it will pick up again down the road.

:wacko: I can't tell you how many allocated wines I've been invited to buy this year for no good reason at all. I'm not a big restaurant and I don't move a ton of high end juice, so in the big picture, I'm not a player. Funny thing is, back vintages of half these "coveted" wines that are being offered on pre-sale are also on close-out.

That's why I LOOOOOVE being in the private club business . . . . tons of capital to purchase rare lots and cellar them, PLUS I can purchase what I like from the selection! (my first club had a standing inventory of 300k in wine alone . .)

Normally it takes years to build up a decent allocation of rare wines . . . . it is nice to get in a place that has that kinda pull already.