Sign in to follow this  
twiley

The Wine List and bargain bin

That was me

And it was very cool. Though I must say that it was (or rather still is) a bit of a hassle for those who didn't live in the area. 8 of the 10 lived close by but 2 are supposed to ship (which, of course, adds to the cost) and are dragging ass big time. It's one thing to get everyone to pay pal or drop a check in the mail, yet another to track down a shipper and go to the UPS store. That said, these guys are both in the biz, so it's pretty inexcusable as they likely have shippers hanging around.

We were hoping to have a "wine draft" at the end of the season where the winner fired open one of his for the group but it never materialized. Maybe next year.

hmmm...took me less than a week to pay up and I'm not in the biz. What's their excuse?

BTW, it's supposed to arrive Tuesday.

Edited by Kid Cid

hmmm...took me less than a week to pay up and I'm not in the biz. What's their excuse?

BTW, it's supposed to arrive Tuesday.

:wacko: Trust me, that thought did cross my mind.

As for their "excuse" it likely has a lot more to do with the fact that I've known these guys forever so they know that I know that they're good for it.

I have more faith that, if a bunch of us did this, guys would be more on top of it because they'd be exposed as welches and a-holes if they didn't pay up. Like, for instance, had either you or dicked around for a month before settling our bet.

That would be the thing if we did this. Unlike typical leagues where you pay up at the beginning of the season, we'd have to wait until the end just so everyone would just have to ship the wine once. Any expense is a drag on the purse and this league would already have one in addition to the site fee.

Edited by detlef

AHHHHHH ... maybe another participant for our future "Wine only" FFL.

You guys still interested in getting this going in the fall.

I'm not sure who was in the league that used fine bottles of wine as the prize for the Champion.

I'd be down for that!

Five so far for a wine league?

Official count for the Wine League (we have to come up with a better name);

1 - nogohawk

2 - Lord Opie

3 - twiley

4 - bier meister

5 - bpwallace49

6 - wiegie

Others mentioned

detlef

Seattle LawDawg

Time to get this thing going ...

I'd be interested, but would like to see what level of wine we are playing for first!

That wasn't such a big deal for my league because enough of us all knew each other and saw each other on a daily basis so I was able to pretty much just say that each person's reputation was at stake. I wanted to inspire people to find something cool, not necc. of a certain $ value.

On the other hand, with a bunch of guys from all over the place, I can see how we'd need to come to an understanding. I would say that each person pledges up front and, if enough guys veto it, they have to go back to the drawing board. Those of us with deeper cellars can pledge later once we see where the level is falling.

I've seen sundaynfl's list of juice and there's no way he should be setting the bar because it will be impossible for most to match. On the other hand, if the more casual collectors start it up...

My guess is that we should be looking for somewhere in the range of $50 per bottle. Much lower and we waste too much of the relative value shipping this crap around. There's an outside chance that I'm taking the season off next year as I expect to be eyeball deep in a new project, but if I'm playing at all, I'm playing in this.

If I had to stab at the stakes, I'd say each person stakes $50 in cash up front and a $50 bottle. Somehow, shipping and site management are taken out of the $500-$600 in cash with obviously the rest being doled out to the winners along with the juice. Everyone would need to hold on to their wine until the end so they'd only have to ship it once.

I also suggest we talk Kid Cid into it. He and I left our bet of a bottle on UNC v UConn to loser's discretion and he certainly came correct with what he sent. :wacko:

What about winners? I say podium, so 3rd place doesn't have to ship or receive?

1st place: 7 bottles

2nd place: 4 bottles

Thoughts? This is assuming a 12-team league, of course.

For ease, I'd say that if there are multiple owners in the same area, that their bottles are put together to make shipping easier and cheaper? I've got shipping foam and boxes, so if one of the Denver locals didn't win, then we could go in together on shipping.

$50 market price for a bottle is fine by me, but if the suggestion is $50bottle and $50 cash, I'd rather the value distribution go more towards the bottles. $75 bottle, $25 cash?

Is there a good website for determining market value? (I'll just ask my wife, but if we could be on the same page, that'd probably be better)

Edited by LordOpie

I'd rather the value distribution go more towards the bottles. $75 bottle, $25 cash?

Agreed, it's all about the juice in this league.

As far as the Bargain bin list goes, I'd suggest St. Francis RED. 100% Sonoma County grapes, instead of the mandatory 75%. It's a red blend that I'm constantly shipping to my accounts on every order. A very good red for someone who's just getting into red wine, and normal wino's like it as well. St.Francis RED is $9.99 in the Dallas market.

Concannon also has a pretty good cab and merlot that are in the $10-$15 range.

I've seen sundaynfl's list of juice and there's no way he should be setting the bar because it will be impossible for most to match.

That was what I was worried about when I said I would "probably" be in.

Hmm . . are you thinking straight dollar value or also take rarity in consideration?

For instance, if a player threw in a bottle of a certain Turley Zinfandel, I would be cool with that because it is hard as hell to get, even though the "book value" might be around 40 bucks a bottle . . .

Hmm . . are you thinking straight dollar value or also take rarity in consideration?

For instance, if a player threw in a bottle of a certain Turley Zinfandel, I would be cool with that because it is hard as hell to get, even though the "book value" might be around 40 bucks a bottle . . .

my wife says yes on the Turley Zin.

Turleys have a pretty big $ range. We opened an 01 Hayne Vineyard a couple weeks ago. Wasn't my bottle so I can't say for sure, but it was probably over $40.

Plus we have a pinned topic thread going on - have to try and keep pace with it all or I'll copy and pst a bunch of the responses.

I'd be interested, but would like to see what level of wine we are playing for first!

I'm on CellarTracker and can have others see my list or just post a few selections I'd be putting up.

That's why I didn't want the dollar value to be to strict. More a guideline. I would way rather get some very cool and hard to find gem than some random cab from Napa that I can find anywhere.

That's why I didn't want the dollar value to be to strict. More a guideline. I would way rather get some very cool and hard to find gem than some random cab from Napa that I can find anywhere.

good call.

AMEN

AMEN

I'm thinking maybe a Shane. Not sure of the street value though. :wacko:

Sign in to follow this