[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calling all Excel nerds....

Controller

A co-worker asked me if there is a way in Excel to highlight the current row in a spreadsheet no matter where you move the cursor. He is working a large sheet and constantly has to double-check to make sure he is in the right row.

I found this link that seems to offer a solution, but I'm embarassed to say I don't know how to implement it.

Anyone able to help me with the above, or better yet have a solution that is easier than this? :D:D

Not sure how to implement it ... but it is worth noting that if he is working with a large spreadsheet that the conditional formatting will add overhead and slow things down. The bigger the spread sheet the slower.

In this case every time he moves the cursor conditional formatting will be deleted for the entire worksheet and readded for the entire worksheet. Sounds like you could be waiting alot.

I'd say its a clumsy solution. Can't your buddy just look up in the left corner (just above Row 1 and left of Col. A) and read what it says for the current cell? That stays true no matter where the cursor is.

'Reading is fundamental....'

edit: Also, if you have 2003 or later, the column and row markers are highlighted, just not the whole row

Edited by Coffeeman

You just go to Tools - Macro - Visual Basic Editor and paste that code into the Worksheet page. I just tested it and it works. Let me know if you need any help.

After I paste it into the VB editor worksheet page there must be a step I'm missing, because nothing happens. Do I need to do anything after pasting the code?

Not sure how to implement it ... but it is worth noting that if he is working with a large spreadsheet that the conditional formatting will add overhead and slow things down. The bigger the spread sheet the slower.

In this case every time he moves the cursor conditional formatting will be deleted for the entire worksheet and readded for the entire worksheet. Sounds like you could be waiting alot.

There is a tradeoff, but in this case he's willing to wait if it helps him avoid mistakes.

I'd say its a clumsy solution. Can't your buddy just look up in the left corner (just above Row 1 and left of Col. A) and read what it says for the current cell? That stays true no matter where the cursor is.

'Reading is fundamental....'

edit: Also, if you have 2003 or later, the column and row markers are highlighted, just not the whole row

Neh neh neh - he wants what he wants, and he wants it NOW.

Having the column and row markers highlighted is NOT GOOD ENOUGH, dammit.

Could he not just freeze the panes so he can always see the row and column headers?

Basically, that's what he's been doing, but moving the "freeze" point all the time apparently is too much of a pain in the ass.

After I paste it into the VB editor worksheet page there must be a step I'm missing, because nothing happens. Do I need to do anything after pasting the code?

Are you pasting it into the correct worksheet? All I did was copy and paste and it worked fine for me.