[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oklahoma City Thunder

Seahawks21

Just heard (on local sportsradio 950 KJR) that there were approx. 3 thousand open seats at the last OKC home game, and there is fear that the Thunder may already be losing local interest, THREE WEEKS into the life of the franchise. People inside are fearing that they may only make it to about 60% capacity this season, a number that will get worse before it improves. The most important effect this will have is on young NBA stars. OKC can kiss Durant, Green & Westbrook or the thought of getting any decent FA's goodbye.

This is what happens when a bad team meets worse ownership. This thing is foul from the top up. Their owner is proven liar who didn't even know better than to put his lies into e-mail form. I just want to take this opportunity to congratulate David Stern for alienating one of his most loyal fan bases in favor of Oklahoma City, you know, the mecca of basketball.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The home crowd was booing when they were getting throttled by the Clippers a few days ago.

Way to show your appreciation for the new team!!

Oh, and they couldn't win 18 games if Tim Donaghy worked every one of them.

I haven't been paying any attention. F the NBA. It's mid-November and I bet you can all tell me with 75% or greater accuracy who the final 8 teams are going to be in the playoffs. There's no point to playing all these games with all these teams. It's a sham league.

I haven't been paying any attention. F the NBA. It's mid-November and I bet you can all tell me with 75% or greater accuracy who the final 8 teams are going to be in the playoffs. There's no point to playing all these games with all these teams. It's a sham league.

Hey, FFB season is over in 5 weeks. Fantasy baseball doesn't start until April.

I gotta feed the monkey somehow. Fantasy basketball, complete with "all these games with all these teams" is the perfect methadone.

Hey, FFB season is over in 5 weeks. Fantasy baseball doesn't start until April.

I gotta feed the monkey somehow. Fantasy basketball, complete with "all these games with all these teams" is the perfect methadone.

Hockey my friend! Hockey. It's like basketball, without the tanking/showboating/etc, and with the JACKED UP!!! factor you're hooked on.

Peace

policy

Hockey my friend! Hockey. It's like basketball, without the tanking/showboating/etc, and with the JACKED UP!!! factor you're hooked on.

Peace

policy

Is that the sport where they used to beat the snot out of each other and skate around with no helmets and half a head's worth of teeth?

Gimme a call when it's like that again.

Just heard (on local sportsradio 950 KJR) that there were approx. 3 thousand open seats at the last OKC home game, and there is fear that the Thunder may already be losing local interest, THREE WEEKS into the life of the franchise. People inside are fearing that they may only make it to about 60% capacity this season, a number that will get worse before it improves. The most important effect this will have is on young NBA stars. OKC can kiss Durant, Green & Westbrook or the thought of getting any decent FA's goodbye.

This is what happens when a bad team meets worse ownership. This thing is foul from the top up. Their owner is proven liar who didn't even know better than to put his lies into e-mail form. I just want to take this opportunity to congratulate David Stern for alienating one of his most loyal fan bases in favor of Oklahoma City, you know, the mecca of basketball.

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -Byron Scott got to eat at his favorite restaurant, visit with his daughter and take a trip down Memory Lane in the city where his team started heading back in the right direction.

As it turns out, a return to Oklahoma City might have been just what his New Orleans Hornets needed.

David West scored 19 points, Chris Paul added 17 in the city where his NBA career began and the Hornets had a triumphant return to Oklahoma City on Friday night with a 105-80 victory over the Thunder.

The Hornets' starters received a warm welcome from a sellout crowd, then got to take the fourth quarter off in a dominating defensive performance that stopped a two-game losing skid.

``This is the topping. This is the icing on the cake is to come out and to play as well as we played tonight,'' Scott said. ``It's always good to see my daughter, but to come out here and play the way we did tonight was great.

``It makes the flight back home a little less tedious.''

After getting into town a night early, Scott ate at his favorite restaurant and stopped by to see his daughter, who decided to stay in the Oklahoma City area to go to school after the team's two-year stay ended.

The team will be just fine.

What is pro basketball? Does anyone really care anymore? I've never seen a sport generate so much excitement then just completely fall off the face of the earth.

Small town markets were already struggling before Stern rolled the dice and let his compradre take a team to Okalahomo. That was before the economy crashed. Now a dinky town is struggling to get 60% capacity in their first year?

The NBA model was desperately stupid before the economy crash, now it's just pathetic.

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -Byron Scott got to eat at his favorite restaurant, visit with his daughter and take a trip down Memory Lane in the city where his team started heading back in the right direction.

As it turns out, a return to Oklahoma City might have been just what his New Orleans Hornets needed.

David West scored 19 points, Chris Paul added 17 in the city where his NBA career began and the Hornets had a triumphant return to Oklahoma City on Friday night with a 105-80 victory over the Thunder.

The Hornets' starters received a warm welcome from a sellout crowd, then got to take the fourth quarter off in a dominating defensive performance that stopped a two-game losing skid.

``This is the topping. This is the icing on the cake is to come out and to play as well as we played tonight,'' Scott said. ``It's always good to see my daughter, but to come out here and play the way we did tonight was great.

``It makes the flight back home a little less tedious.''

After getting into town a night early, Scott ate at his favorite restaurant and stopped by to see his daughter, who decided to stay in the Oklahoma City area to go to school after the team's two-year stay ended.

The team will be just fine.

"Many fans also called it an early night, leaving the stands mostly empty by the time the final horn sounded. Despite the team’s full allotment of season tickets selling out in five days, only three of the eight home games have sold out so far—opening night, a visit from the NBA champion Boston Celtics and the return of the beloved Hornets."

The fact is that the Thunder have about two years before they are playing in front of five thousand people per night. They are the worst team in the NBA, and appear to be heading towards staying that way for at least a few years. The novelty will wear off before they get good enough to build a loyal fanbase. If they had a history in the city, they could survive something like this, unfortunately they don't. Fans are already booing the team off the court. Dead man walking. I thought they had a chance to survive for a while, but now I don't see this team lasting five years without being sold and relocated to an actual city.

Edited by Seahawks21

What is pro basketball? Does anyone really care anymore? I've never seen a sport generate so much excitement then just completely fall off the face of the earth.

Small town markets were already struggling before Stern rolled the dice and let his compradre take a team to Okalahomo. That was before the economy crashed. Now a dinky town is struggling to get 60% capacity in their first year?

The NBA model was desperately stupid before the economy crash, now it's just pathetic.

not entirely true- I think you, like many of my friends are losing interest in the NBA. BUT in younger generations basketball popularity is off the charts and the NBA is a global game that is doing nothing but getting stronger.

fall of the face of the earth? the NBA playoffs last year were nothing short of fantastic - Boston vs LA, etc - what are you talking about?

played by the best athletes on the planet - nothing like it

The salary cap does a nice job IMO - personally, with the Mariners sucking, roids, uneven playing field- I have lost all interest in MLB

Brutal not having the Sonics, will never get over it -

that would be baseball with the uneven playing field. The NBA salary cap does a pretty nice job of giving smaller markets a chance to compete -

Completely disagree.

Check the baseball playoff participants over the last decade. While the hated Yankees are always there (except this one year), the rest switch around all the time. Tampa Bay, the perennial whipping boys, made it to the Series this year. The NBA has a rump of eight or nine hopeless teams. Some may make the playoffs once or twice but they always fall back into the mire. I know, I go see one of them regularly.

While it is true that basketball is growing globally (though it will always be dwarfed by soccer), in the US the NBA is becoming irrelevant.

Completely disagree.

Check the baseball playoff participants over the last decade. While the hated Yankees are always there (except this one year), the rest switch around all the time. Tampa Bay, the perennial whipping boys, made it to the Series this year. The NBA has a rump of eight or nine hopeless teams. Some may make the playoffs once or twice but they always fall back into the mire. I know, I go see one of them regularly.

While it is true that basketball is growing globally (though it will always be dwarfed by soccer), in the US the NBA is becoming irrelevant.

the Rays were a fluke - no other sport has more teams with ZERO chance to win the championship on day 1 than MLB. You have a skewed judgement being in MInny bc McHale is one of the all-time worst GM's in my lifetime.

the NBA is not becoming irrelevant - the older generation, perhaps, but youngsters? naw it is probly #1

I think any way it goes this team was gonna suck no matter where they played and would of had a hard time drawing no matter where because of that. I did hate to see them leave Seattle as I always hate to see a team moved.

As far as fantasy goes though Basketball IMO is extremely fun. day to day lineups means there is always some action going on.once football is over there is really no other sport to play fantasywise unless you like Hockey. myself I would rather watch Tennis or volleyball than Hockey though. I just cannot see the fun in that sport.

As far as leagues being cheaters..chit ,all of them cheat. betting controls sports. anyone who does not think it happens in football should look at how Pittsburgh did not get that Polomalu TD 2 weeks ago..or go back and watch the Seahawk /Steeler superbowl. when refs want a game to be close they allow clutching and holding..been doing it for years in Basketball,football and hockey. in baseball they do it with the strikezone.

the NBA is not becoming irrelevant - the older generation, perhaps, but youngsters? naw it is probly #1

Well, they'd better start issuing maps to the arenas then because I don't see these legions of younger people at Minnesota or at games on TV. What I see on TV is rows of empty seats.

the Rays were a fluke - no other sport has more teams with ZERO chance to win the championship on day 1 than MLB.

That is a flat out bogus statement. Baseball may be predictable to some degree or another which teams are going to be good and which ones won't, but the extra round of playoffs make the whole thing a crapshoot. There are teams that are obviously deficient as there are in all sports, but the NBA is unique in that there are really maybe five teams that have a chance to win the NBA title and the season is less than a month old.

Revisit this in the spring time and tell me I'm wrong if the NBA finals don't feature one of Boston, Cleveland, or Detroit against the Lakers, Spurs, or the Rockets. And the season isn't even a month old, and all I did was look at the standings and a few box scores.

That is a flat out bogus statement. Baseball may be predictable to some degree or another which teams are going to be good and which ones won't, but the extra round of playoffs make the whole thing a crapshoot. There are teams that are obviously deficient as there are in all sports, but the NBA is unique in that there are really maybe five teams that have a chance to win the NBA title and the season is less than a month old.

Revisit this in the spring time and tell me I'm wrong if the NBA finals don't feature one of Boston, Cleveland, or Detroit against the Lakers, Spurs, or the Rockets. And the season isn't even a month old, and all I did was look at the standings and a few box scores.

yer right in one regard, that the NBA is somewhat predicable due to the nature of the sport. Basketball does tend to have less upsets bc the game itself is easier for 1-2 guys to control, ie Jordan, Kobe, KG/Pierce etc - and the better team wins a series more often than not.......baseball can have upsets on a more regular basis. But baseball more than any other sport has the most uneven playing field out of the gate.

but cmon, you let me take 6-7 teams in baseball?? seriously?? I would nail that every time.

Let's see if a NO, Utah, ORL or Atlanta could get in the mix..................

but cmon, you let me take 6-7 teams in baseball?? seriously?? I would nail that every time.

Would you have nailed Philadelphia and Tampa? Colorado in '07? Detroit in '06? White Sox and Astros in '05? Try it again on May 1st '09 and you might do it, but there's a distinct degree of crapshoot that exists in baseball that just doesn't exist in basketball.

Would you bet me that Utah, Orlando, or Atlanta would make the Finals over each of the six teams I listed above?

Didn't think so. :wacko:

The knock on baseball is that there are a handful of teams that are nothing more than farm systems for NY, Boston & LA. What it must be like to be a fan of the Pittsburgh Pirates or Kansas City Royals.

The NBA model is a bit messed up, but the product on the court is getting REALLY good again, so people will be back. I still will never understand why half the country uses the attitudes of NBA players as their reasoning behind not following the game anymore, yet these same people adore their local football players.

If you're really quiet, you can already hear the crickets in OKC.....shhhh.....