[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oklahoma City Thunder

Seahawks21

When was the last time you stepped on a basketball court? Have you ever?

Both of these recommendations are downright blasphemous. :wacko:

Why? Watching Yao Ming bump his head on the basket is laughable. Watching teams raining in threes makes the game tedious.

And no, I never played the game but then again, we're talking NBA here, not gym pickup. I do fork over several hundred dollars a year to the NBA so I'd like to voice an opinion every now and then.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When was the last time you stepped on a basketball court? Have you ever?

Both of these recommendations are downright blasphemous. :wacko:

I realize it sounds blasphemous but I'd like to know why you don't think the basket should be raised? I mean, seriously, when this game was invented, it had in mind the average height of a white man (around 5"10'). The average NBA player today is around 6"7'. Maybe its cause I'm a huge fan of the dunk and seeing these guys doing it without clearing 5 inches is extremely boring to me.

The 3 point line moving back is out of the question though.

I realize it sounds blasphemous but I'd like to know why you don't think the basket should be raised? I mean, seriously, when this game was invented, it had in mind the average height of a white man (around 5"10'). The average NBA player today is around 6"7'. Maybe its cause I'm a huge fan of the dunk and seeing these guys doing it without clearing 5 inches is extremely boring to me.

The 3 point line moving back is out of the question though.

just now seeing this - funny chit. I am a hoops junkie, and I agree the hoop at some point,........ like 15-20yrs+ away, we could see the basket raised at some point down the road, but let's get real here people.

how about moving MLB fences back 20-30ft?? maybe we should move the mound back a foot or so since we have guys topping 100mph?

chit NFL guys are big and fast, maybe we should widen the field by 10 yards and lengthen it by 20?? sound good?

the rim ain't goin nowhere anytime soon, fellas cmon - nothing like an incredible dunk in all of sport..........

Why? Watching Yao Ming bump his head on the basket is laughable. Watching teams raining in threes makes the game tedious.

And no, I never played the game but then again, we're talking NBA here, not gym pickup. I do fork over several hundred dollars a year to the NBA so I'd like to voice an opinion every now and then.

:wacko:

See below.

just now seeing this - funny chit. I am a hoops junkie, and I agree the hoop at some point,........ like 15-20yrs+ away, we could see the basket raised at some point down the road, but let's get real here people.

how about moving MLB fences back 20-30ft?? maybe we should move the mound back a foot or so since we have guys topping 100mph?

chit NFL guys are big and fast, maybe we should widen the field by 10 yards and lengthen it by 20?? sound good?

the rim ain't goin nowhere anytime soon, fellas cmon - nothing like an incredible dunk in all of sport..........

Bingo.

and....

If you raise the hoop in the NBA, does that mean you raise it in the college game too? And if the answer is yes to that, then do you do it in the high school game? For kids? C'mon Ursa... you see where this is going.

The game of basketball is all about excitement, and if you raise the hoop, you're not only taking away the excitement of the game, but you're going to make it incredibly difficult to cultivate talent through the ranks. And, there's no way that the rest of the world agrees to that... and it's all about worldwide recognition for the NBA right now.

Sorry, never gonna happen.

Totally disagree... Many "hoops junkies" would agree that the dunk is vastly overrated. Yes, it draws fans, but at the end of the day, it makes no difference how you get the ball in the basket. I can safely say that I'd rather see a great pass or a team play great defense for 35 seconds (yes, I realize it's only 24 in the NBA) than a great dunk, any day of the week. Unfortunately, dunks are a dime a dozen, while great passes are few and far between.

I do, however, agree that it would be very difficult to raise the rim, all things considered. In order to raise it at the NBA level to where it would really make a difference (reduce dunks), you're talking about at least 18 inches... six inches or even a foot wouldn't really change much as far as dunking. All it would do would make NBA players even worse shooters as a whole, and I don't think that would be good for anybody involved.

Totally disagree... Many "hoops junkies" would agree that the dunk is vastly overrated. Yes, it draws fans, but at the end of the day, it makes no difference how you get the ball in the basket. I can safely say that I'd rather see a great pass or a team play great defense for 35 seconds (yes, I realize it's only 24 in the NBA) than a great dunk, any day of the week. Unfortunately, dunks are a dime a dozen, while great passes are few and far between.

I do, however, agree that it would be very difficult to raise the rim, all things considered. In order to raise it at the NBA level to where it would really make a difference (reduce dunks), you're talking about at least 18 inches... six inches or even a foot wouldn't really change much as far as dunking. All it would do would make NBA players even worse shooters as a whole, and I don't think that would be good for anybody involved.

I had no idea John Wooden was a member of the huddle........

cmon man- you serious with this? I understand the concept behind sharing the ball and, and team play and that a dunk is 2 points just like a sky hook or a 12 footer from the baseline..... Dunking is a huge part of the game - especially from a casual fans perspective - I am not elitist enough to not enjoy a great dunk.

I understand dunks are common, and I wasn't thinking about Nenad Krstic drop stepping and flushing one, more along the lines of the ridiculous dunks you see from time to time that are legend...wait for it.....dary. MJ dunking baseline, LBJ crushing dunks, VC jumping over the Frenchman, Tommy Chambers, KJ baseline, Starks I mean the list goes on and on

I was talking more about the off the charts in-game dunks you see by Kobe, LBJ, Dwade, etc - they are off the charts athletically, and one of the coolest things in sports IMO.......

I had no idea John Wooden was a member of the huddle........

cmon man- you serious with this? I understand the concept behind sharing the ball and, and team play and that a dunk is 2 points just like a sky hook or a 12 footer from the baseline..... Dunking is a huge part of the game - especially from a casual fans perspective - I am not elitist enough to not enjoy a great dunk.

I understand dunks are common, and I wasn't thinking about Nenad Krstic drop stepping and flushing one, more along the lines of the ridiculous dunks you see from time to time that are legend...wait for it.....dary. MJ dunking baseline, LBJ crushing dunks, VC jumping over the Frenchman, Tommy Chambers, KJ baseline, Starks I mean the list goes on and on

I was talking more about the off the charts in-game dunks you see by Kobe, LBJ, Dwade, etc - they are off the charts athletically, and one of the coolest things in sports IMO.......

My point, exactly. NBA arenas are filled with exactly that... casual fans who go crazy over a dunk, but yet the majority of them don't even comprehend the rules of the game, for the most part. Call me old-fashioned if you want (I'm actually over 60 years younger than Wooden), but I prefer the game the way it was played in the 80's and 90's, especially the NBA game. More talent/skill, less gangster.

I can appreciate an incredible dunk just as much as the next guy... One of my all-time favorites was actually Grant Hill against Kansas back in the early 90's. I just think it's a bit ridiculous to say that nothing else in sports compares. My thing is simply this... too many young players today focus 90% of their efforts in the gym on dunking, and yet they can't shoot better than 50-60% from the free throw line. It's a "dunk-first, learn the basic fundamentals of the game later/never" mentality. I find it sad, really. I'm not going to go as far as to say that it's "ruining" the game, but it's certainly had an adverse affect on it, to a certain extent. Dunks certainly have their place in the game, no doubt. I just think there is way too much of an emphasis placed on it, mainly by casual, less-knowledgeable fans.

My point, exactly. NBA arenas are filled with exactly that... casual fans who go crazy over a dunk, but yet the majority of them don't even comprehend the rules of the game, for the most part. Call me old-fashioned if you want (I'm actually over 60 years younger than Wooden), but I prefer the game the way it was played in the 80's and 90's, especially the NBA game. More talent/skill, less gangster.

Admit it, you just wish they all were John Stockton shorts still.

I can appreciate an incredible dunk just as much as the next guy... One of my all-time favorites was actually Grant Hill against Kansas back in the early 90's. I just think it's a bit ridiculous to say that nothing else in sports compares. My thing is simply this... too many young players today focus 90% of their efforts in the gym on dunking, and yet they can't shoot better than 50-60% from the free throw line. It's a "dunk-first, learn the basic fundamentals of the game later/never" mentality. I find it sad, really. I'm not going to go as far as to say that it's "ruining" the game, but it's certainly had an adverse affect on it, to a certain extent. Dunks certainly have their place in the game, no doubt. I just think there is way too much of an emphasis placed on it, mainly by casual, less-knowledgeable fans - that eat it up and by the spamshirts, etc. that lead to bigger and better endorsements for the players that are exciting to the casual fan.

FYP

It's all about the money.

Admit it, you just wish they all were John Stockton shorts still.

FYP

It's all about the money.

:D Nah... That's one part of the 80's game that I'm glad is gone. What's really scary is that I remember wearing shorts like that when I played in HS and college. The college game shorts were much longer and comfortable (not visually offensive), but we had some practice shorts that were just brutal. :wacko:

:D Nah... That's one part of the 80's game that I'm glad is gone. What's really scary is that I remember wearing shorts like that when I played in HS and college. The college game shorts were much longer and comfortable (not visually offensive), but we had some practice shorts that were just brutal. :wacko:

My shorts were like that in high school, but they weren't designed to be, just our school was apparently not used to having a true center of my stature play for them. I'm surprised I have been able to breed.

As a former point guard and coach I certainly appreciate the finer points of the game, but I was also a kid once. Raising the hoop? I couldn't imagine basketball being as exciting of a game if Michael Jordan wasn't Michael "Air" Jordan. I would have missed out on the most exciting duo I've ever seen--Payton to Kemp. I'm not really against widening the court so these guys have some space, but the electrifying dunk is as exciting as any play in pro sports, especially in traffic. Even a coach will tell you how important dunks are. Its like having an strong safety that absolutely blows people up. It makes a physical statement to the other team. A big dunk is worth a lot more to the momentum of a game than simply being worth two points.

A big dunk is worth a lot more to the momentum of a game than simply being worth two points.

Valid point here. A thunderous dunk that electrifies the crowd can give a team that momentum surge it needs to pick up the effort on defense, etc.

Good point about widening the court. I could see that being a more valid/likely change than raising the hoop

• 1 month later...
Revisit this in the spring time and tell me I'm wrong if the NBA finals don't feature one of Boston, Cleveland, or Detroit against the Lakers, Spurs, or the Rockets. And the season isn't even a month old, and all I did was look at the standings and a few box scores.

So, Denver, Portland, and maybe Orlando may spoil my November point that the NBA is way too predictable and not particularly competitive, but I think I'll end up with my call being pretty darn close if not nailing it right on the head. :wacko:

So, Denver, Portland, and maybe Orlando may spoil my November point that the NBA is way too predictable and not particularly competitive, but I think I'll end up with my call being pretty darn close if not nailing it right on the head. :D

:wacko: And the MLB, NFL and NHL aren't comparably predictable? Come on GTS.... I will agree with you that you can somewhat-accurately predict who the good teams will be, but you can do that in ANY sport.

:wacko: And the MLB, NFL and NHL aren't comparably predictable? Come on GTS.... I will agree with you that you can somewhat-accurately predict who the good teams will be, but you can do that in ANY sport.

Who is going to play for the Stanley Cup this season? Who's going to play in the World Series?

At the start of the season........The Colorado Rockies, Tampa Bay Devil Rays, and Arizona Cardinal equivalents of the NBA are who?

The NBA IS more predictable. There are only five starters per team. Because of this, there is less roster movement, and teams can stay together longer, so they become more predictable.

Who is going to play for the Stanley Cup this season? Who's going to play in the World Series?

Um, you didn't predict who would be playing for the NBA Finals, did you? :wacko:

Now, if you want me to list some teams that will be solid and will likely make the playoffs, I'll be happy to oblige.

At the start of the season........The Colorado Rockies, Tampa Bay Devil Rays, and Arizona Cardinal equivalents of the NBA are who?

Orlando?

Atlanta won 47 games.

Portland won 54 in the tough West.

Houston won 53 with (basically) no McGrady.

Orlando?

Atlanta won 47 games.

Portland won 54 in the tough West.

Houston won 53 with (basically) no McGrady.

Well, I'll take them in order...

Orlando has one of the best big men in the league and the point has been made that, given the fact that you only start 5, one guy can really make a huge difference. See: Jordan, LeBron, Kobe...

Atlanta pushed the eventual champs to 7 games in the first round and winning 47 out of 82 is not some absolutely amazing feat.

Portland was a talented young team last year while Oden wasn't playing at all. Seeing Portland coming wasn't an act of genius.

Dude mentioned Houston specifically in his first thread about who he figured would be in the mix, so including them here is rather pointless.

Um, you didn't predict who would be playing for the NBA Finals, did you? :wacko:

Yeah, I kind of did to the point of saying if it wasn't one of the handful of teams who had the best record three weeks in, it would be a shock. I'm not claiming to be Mutodomus here, I'm just saying that you can't take the best records after three weeks and with much accuracy pick the champion in other professional leagues, certainly there are cases where it happens, but nowhere near the frequency as the NBA.:D

• 1 month later...
Revisit this in the spring time and tell me I'm wrong if the NBA finals don't feature one of Boston, Cleveland, or Detroit against the Lakers, Spurs, or the Rockets. And the season isn't even a month old, and all I did was look at the standings and a few box scores.

:eat crow:

The NBA is the greatest and most unpredictable sports league ever.