[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why is Nobody Talking About This?

theprofessor

I have been waiting for this matchup for 2 years ...... GSP vs. BJ Penn

GSP is an absolute freak athletically and BJ Penn has improved so much in the last 12-18 months that I think this is the best matchup we've seen in the history of the UFC. I think that these two fighters and The Spider Silva are the Top 3 pound for pound fighters in MMA. I see BJ winning this fight because of his improved stand up but what I'm looking forward to is to see these two go to the ground. This one won't dissapoint.

OH, I will be watching and on the BJ Penn bandwagon, no question. I hope he pummels that French-Canadian!!!

overall, a solid card -

Machida and Thiago which will be an interesting matchup

Diaz and Geicko Caveman Guida will be interesting to say the least

and a hopefully rejuvinated and healthy Bonnar

my picks as of now:

Penn

Machida

Guida (more bc Nate Diaz bugs the chit outta me)

Bonnar

Kim

Edited by wildcat2334

What happened to Penn tonight? He looked different from the time he stepped into the ring. Everyone in the house noticed the same thing. His stand up has been so great in his last 3 fights and tonight it was non-existent? He got dominated on the ground. Did he "overheat"? What was the reason given for the stoppage? I'm not taking anything away from GSP because he looked great but something was wrong tonight with Penn.

Edited by theprofessor

What happened to Penn tonight? He looked different from the time he stepped into the ring. Everyone in the house noticed the same thing. His stand up has been so great in his last 3 fights and tonight it was non-existent? He got dominated on the ground. Did he "overheat"? What was the reason given for the stoppage? I'm not taking anything away from GSP because he looked great but something was wrong tonight with Penn.

As much as I like and respect Penn, I think GSP is just bigger and stronger. GSP cuts 10-15 pounds to get to 170, while Penn gains weight to do so. Definitely a different guy than Penn fought the first time. Penn has been at the top of his game for a while now... his cardio has been the only question in recent fights as to whether he's at his best or not. GSP is not only still improving, but improving significantly.

For what it's worth, I don't think stamina/cardio was really the issue with Penn last night. There was no way he would have let himself go into last night's fight at anything less than 100%. He was exhausted after the 4th round because he had spent the majority of the fight on his back, getting his head beat in, not because he went in to the fight out of shape. Just thought I would throw that out there because I've heard people comment on BJ last night, as well as in the past, saying that he looks "flabby" or out of shape. That's just the way he looks... he'll never look as cut as GSP... totally different body types. I think Penn should go back down to 155 and defend against Florian, or anybody else who comes up in the LW division.

Other thoughts:

Diaz looked surprisingly mediocre last night... Good win for Clay Guida.

Machida is a machine... definitely worthy of a title-shot at this point.

Jon Jones has a scary amount of potential...He's only 21, and basically made Bonnar look like he's washed up and slow. It will be interesting to see where they both go from here.

Parysian was fortunate to win his fight, after being completely dominated in the first round.

As much as I like and respect Penn, I think GSP is just bigger and stronger. GSP cuts 10-15 pounds to get to 170, while Penn gains weight to do so. Definitely a different guy than Penn fought the first time. Penn has been at the top of his game for a while now...his cardio has been the only question in recent fights as to whether he's at his best or not. GSP is not only still improving, but improving significantly.

For what it's worth, I don't think stamina/cardio was really the issue with Penn last night. There was no way he would have let himself go into last night's fight at anything less than 100%. He was exhausted after the 4th round because he had spent the majority of the fight on his back, getting his head beat in, not because he went in to the fight out of shape. Just thought I would throw that out there because I've heard people comment on BJ last night, as well as in the past, saying that he looks "flabby" or out of shape. That's just the way he looks... he'll never look as cut as GSP... totally different body types. I think Penn should go back down to 155 and defend against Florian, or anybody else who comes up in the LW division.

Other thoughts:

Diaz looked surprisingly mediocre last night... Good win for Clay Guida.

Machida is a machine... definitely worthy of a title-shot at this point.

Jon Jones has a scary amount of potential...He's only 21, and basically made Bonnar look like he's washed up and slow. It will be interesting to see where they both go from here.

Parysian was fortunate to win his fight, after being completely dominated in the first round.

Penn is an absolute stud who just got beat by someone that's just as much of a stud but is 30 pounds bigger and stronger. GSP was around 190 and Penn was 168 come fight time. I roll daily with guys that are better than me at my gym, but I have 20-30 pounds on them. Because of the weight/strength difference I can control them. Obviously these guys aren't Brown/Black belts as that would negate my size advantadge all together. Point being is that if talent is equal, size and strength will win out. That, and GSP's game plan for Penn was perfect.

Penn will destroy Florian as he did Sherk, and Stevenson. Penn is to 155 as GSP is at 170, Anderson Silva is at 185 or Fedor is at HW. I do hope he completley clears out 155 though.

Michael Jordan couldn't play baseball

BJ Penn can't play 170.

Diaz looked like Diaz. He's not elite, he still learning at 23 years of age. I thought he beat Guida, as Guida did zero damage and just hung on. Guida in my opinion is nothing more than a lay and pray guy with little upside. There were several times that I thought Diaz could have finished the fight, but Guida got out just in time. Either way, neither of these guys impressed me much.

Machida is the best LHW in the world. I've been saying it for a while now. He'll win the title and have it for a very, very long time. Way longer than Liddell's reign. I'm now calling him baby Fedor because I'm not sure either of them are human. Machida doesn't get hit, and can win by anyway he wants... He showed KO power, can outpoint anyone, and has a strong submission game as well. The guy is unstoppable.

Jon Jones was impressive, but making someone look old and washed up who already is old and washed up isn't the most difficult thing to do. Bonner hasn't had a fight in over a year and is coming off a serious knee injury. Before that he was a gatekeeper anyways. I like Bonner, but I think people thinking him of anything more than a gatekeeper is probably just buying into his TUF role. I will say Jones was going for some nice highlight take downs. I don't see them working against the upper tier of LHW, but it was impressive none the less.

I'm a little bitter as BJ Penn is my favorite fighter and was manhandled by a bigger, stronger athlete. I hate GSP, but he's legit as the best at 170.

Edited by piratesownninjas

PON- all well and good and I am with you on giving up 20lbs - and GSP is a freak. That being said, BJ didn't show up for the fight period end of story. His striking, which was so effctive in the first fight was non-existent, and his hands seemed slow and he was lethargic overall. Where was the sharp jab he used so well the first time?

GSP beats him more times than not, I was just disappointed that BJ didn't bring his A game

I thought the Donger beat Karo

Machida is a freak - that division better look out - the jury is still out if he is "unstoppable" but he certainly is going to be in the mix for the belt for many years to come

GSP did what he wanted to Penn. Crossed his guard all night, which is suppose to be one of Penns strengths. Nobody mounts him, and GSP did it all night. GSP whips Penn 10 of 10 times now. he is a freak and gets better every time he fights. This kid is going to be the face of the sport one day. Hell he is already one of the, if not the pound for pound best right now.

How big of a story do you guys think the vaseline is?? For those that haven't heard, St. Pierre's corner was lubing him up with vaseline between rounds, which is very very illegal in MMA. Penn wasn't able to use his legs like he has in just about every other fight he's ever had. He tried and tried and tried, and couldn't get any grip on GSP's shoulders. Turns out GSP has heard complaints about this in his previous two fights, and did it again anyways. IMO this is a major infraction, especially when fighting a guy like Penn. GSP should be disqualified. It will never happen, which is one of the reasons I can't get more into the sport, but what a joke.