[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The 2009 Baseball Thread

Chief Dick

The Kansas City Royals are celebrating their 40th year of existence this year, which also coincides with my 40th birthday this year. I literally grew up with the Royals, and the formative years of my youth were spent during the glory years of the 70's and 80's. This also, coincidentally, was the same era of Chiefs ineptitude.

Thus, my first love has always been and will always be baseball and the Royals.

So, in honor of that, I know there are others here who love baseball as much or more than I do. So I figured I'd open this rolling thread with the idea of some daily baseball banter that will carry to the end of the season.

With that being said, my realistic review of the Royals is this. After Meche and Greinke their starting rotation is scary. Davies could be something, but he needs to pitch and quit thinking about it. The Ponson experiment is puzzling, because I'd rather see Hochever up right away. I can only figure the Royals are hoping Ponson can give them 2 decent months until he acts like his usual self, then dump him and bring up Hochever. This gives Hochever regular starting work in Omaha.

As far as the offense goes, the Royals are improved in that area for the simple fact there is not an automatic out in the lineup. In year's past, the bottom third of the order was a joke. Now, top to bottom, they have guys that have some pop in their bats. The downside is there are still a lot of "IF's" in that lineup.

IF Gordon can get going

IF Butler can get going

IF Teahen can finally get going

IF Guillen can not be an a-hole

I'm just not sure. I like the lineup a million percent better than a year ago. The reality is this team is still not ready. I see them in the 73-89 range, give or take 2 games either way. The bullpen will be solid, but too many question marks still overall.

As a side note, went to the renovated Royals Stadium today for their open house, and it was AMAZING. And I'll be there Friday for the home opener. We also bought a 21 game season ticket package this year, and the 3 year old is excited to go with his daddy.

Good times, good times. :wacko:

Edited by Chief Dick

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what a great opening day game for the Buccos.

Down 4-2 heading into the 9th:

Freddy Sanchez hits a leadoff double

Nate McClouth strkes out, 1 down

Ryan Doumit grounds out, Sanchez to 3rd, 2 outs

Adam LaRoche singles, Sanchez scores, 4-3

Eric Hinske doubles, LaRoche to 3rd

Brandon Moss hit by pitch, bases loaded

Jack Wilson at the plate, 0-2 pitch, just as I'm about to say "Same ole' Pirates" hits a high fastball over the left fielder's head, and clears the bases with a double.

6-4 Pirates :wacko:

Now, in typical Pirates fashion, will they blow it in the bottom of the 9th ? :D

Edited by Menudo

Wow, what a great opening day game for the Buccos.

Down 4-2 heading into the 9th:

Freddy Sanchez hits a leadoff double

Nate McClouth strkes out, 1 down

Ryan Doumit grounds out, Sanchez to 3rd, 2 outs

Adam LaRoche singles, Sanchez scores, 4-3

Eric Hinske doubles, LaRoche to 3rd

Brandon Moss hit by pitch, bases loaded

Jack Wilson at the plate, 0-2 pitch, just as I'm about to say "Same ole' Pirates" hits a high fastball over the left fielder's head, and clears the bases with a double.

6-4 Pirates :D

Now, in typical Pirates fashion, will they blow it in the bottom of the 9th ? :D

....and Matt Capps works around a Pujols single and sits them down. 6-4 Buccos !!!!! :wacko:

between you and CD, it's the same posts every year the 1st week of the season.

:D I know. 3 opening day wins in a row !!!!!! I'll be hanging my head in shame in two weeks time. :wacko:

here's hoping that everyday the Bucs get to face a rookie closer making his first appearance at home on opening day

Swammi,

Do you really think I have any actual hope for my Pirates. They re-hauled everything last year, ownership, coaches, players, etc. I think they are finally heading in the right direction, but, they are three years away, realistically, from having any chance to compete. I don't even see .500 as a legit possibility. They have a group of guys that are going to play hard, but, will be lining up with less talent every night. 75 wins would be a positive season for them, but, 60-65 is probably more realistic. :wacko:

No, I sure hope not. But I will never miss an opportunity to rip a Pittsburgh team.

Oh, and can you update the pic you have of the empty Philadelphia trophy case? We have a shiny new one to add. :wacko:

Yes, but, even in a year that the Phillies finally win a championship, the better part of the state quickly steals their thunder and wins another championship in what is easily the most popular sport in the country. :D

P.S. My empty trophy case was always an Eagles case, and that still hasn't changed, and probably won't until......well, never, it will never change. :D

Well, the Royals starting pitching so far has been awesome. Of course, Ponson is going to ruin that today while I sit in the stands for the home opener.

On top of that it's 41 and rainy right now. Calling for 58 and dry by gametime though.

Enjoy the game. My son will be there tomorrow with a friend and his family. I hope to make a few weekend this year as well. Nothing like the the atmosphere of a major league ballpark.

Speaking of pitching, what happend to Brian Bannister. Certainly no stopper but he could throw a pretty good game on occasion. Did I miss something?

Miguel off to a great start in his MVP season. Grand salami 3rd HR of the year.

And then just missed a 3 run jack by inches. . .beast (that combined with the fact the Rangers pitching staff is putrid).

Went to the home opener yesterday against the Yankees. Royals offense will not get it done this year. I've seen enough now to know Butler and Gordon will not live up to the hype.

Royals will be lucky to average 3 runs per game this year.

On the other hand, the pitching looks promising. Ponson actually pitched pretty well yesterday. The defense really let him down in the early innings.

Kauffman Stadium looks awesome with the recent renovations.