[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TX / NEB

muck

Texas O-line was weak tonight. Greg Davis called a pathetic game. After the last reception by Shipley they should have run it 3 times in a row right up the middle. Nebraska wasn't playing all that well against the run. The announcers went on and on about NEB defense, but Texas held Nebraska to 106 yards. I hope Ingram wins the Heisman. Texas does pretty well in the Rose Bowl when their QB is slighted and they are playing the Heisman winning RB. Seriously I don't give Texas much of a chance, but they will not be embarrassed.

:wacko: Texas' RB Newton was held to 36 yards on 19 carries (1.9yard average). McCoy's stat line was 17 carries for -20 yards.

Texas O line was out manned. Suh gets a lot of credit, but Crick is solid and played well at the other DT spot. In fact if we had even a shell of some of the former good/great NU defensive ends on this team (Carriker, Potter, Wistrom, Vanden Bosch, Alberts, etc.) this D line would be very scary. Turner and Allen actually showed up on a few plays this game and that just hasn't happened much the last few years (both have had injury problems or just plain underperformed). Granted the D doesn't always play as well as they did against TX, but they've been physical and have gotten better most weeks. The reason why Nebraska's D was so impressive is because they were playing against a Heisman level QB with some weapons. Nebraska graduated their QB and top two receivers last year. Our RB, Helu has had injuries all year and the #2 RB was kicked off the team for breaking rules (pot) earlier this year. Luckily, Burkhead has done pretty well as a true freshman at the #2 RB spot. Nebraska has averaged about 17 points per game against actual big12/comparable teams. TX has averaged around 39 points per game against Big12/comparable teams they've played. Our O line has just been suspect and then there is....

Not taking anything from the Texas D here but Nebraska may have the worst OC in America. I used to think it was USF's but after last night... Wow! The play calling was absolutely atrocious for most of the game. The didn't execute very well either but still.

Our OC does some weird stuff. I like the fact that he is willing to adjust the gameplan to the opponent, but this team lacks an identity on offense. We've ran a lot a few games but mostly thrown a ton. Watson is a left over from the Callihan regime. We had a pretty potent offense last year so it's hard to lay total blame on the OC. We may just need a good QB and Lee started off well but struggled as soon as we started playing conference teams. In fact he had been pulled a few times and didn't start a few games in favor of true Freshman Cody Green (the 6'4" 220 pound guy they put in to do the QB sneak). Overall the offense is young, but that doesn't excuse them for being that pathetic (especially the line). So everyone who has watched NU play has known they would struggle on offense. They average about 17 points per game against actual teams and that is just because the kicker is money. I was glad they played well and darn near pulled off a big upset (the line had TX favored by 14). The big 12 just hasn't been as good overall as it was last year because so many QBs/WRs graduated. Heck of a game but it felt like a bit of a gut punch to come that close.

We'll definitely miss Ndamukong Suh next year. I don't know if we've had an interior lineman quite like him (maybe Jason Peters from the 90s). Cody Green should be able to overtake the QB spot and lead NU into a more physical offense next year. We'll lose some secondary to graduation but I think most of the offense will be around and hopefully improve. It looks like Nebraska is going to the Holiday Bowl in San Diego to face the Arizona Wildcats. I don't know anything about the Wildcats this year but it'll be interesting to see how we match up. We thought we'd face USC but looks like they got beat out so we'll have to see what NU can put together against the Wild-kitties.

ETA. Nobody at the football party I was at (or conversation's since) disagreed with the horsecollar call. It sucked, but it was out in the open and those things will get flagged every time. The rule on replay for the clock was something I was unfamiliar with but a rule is a rule. The worst part was that Kunalic (who had been money all year and averages about 40% of his kicks going through the end zone) kicked it out of bounds. I think he was just trying to do too much as I've never seen him kick it out of bounds. Giving them the ball at the 40 and then the 15 yard horse collar was just a team choke and we payed the price of getting sloppy at the end.

Edited by Square

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wacko: Texas' RB Newton was held to 36 yards on 19 carries (1.9yard average). McCoy's stat line was 17 carries for -20 yards.

Texas O line was out manned. Suh gets a lot of credit, but Crick is solid and played well at the other DT spot. In fact if we had even a shell of some of the former good/great NU defensive ends on this team (Carriker, Potter, Wistrom, Vanden Bosch, Alberts, etc.) this D line would be very scary. Turner and Allen actually showed up on a few plays this game and that just hasn't happened much the last few years (both have had injury problems or just plain underperformed). Granted the D doesn't always play as well as they did against TX, but they've been physical and have gotten better most weeks. The reason why Nebraska's D was so impressive is because they were playing against a Heisman level QB with some weapons. Nebraska graduated their QB and top two receivers last year. Our RB, Helu has had injuries all year and the #2 RB was kicked off the team for breaking rules (pot) earlier this year. Luckily, Burkhead has done pretty well as a true freshman at the #2 RB spot. Nebraska has averaged about 17 points per game against actual big12/comparable teams. TX has averaged around 39 points per game against Big12/comparable teams they've played. Our O line has just been suspect and then there is....

Our OC does some weird stuff. I like the fact that he is willing to adjust the gameplan to the opponent, but this team lacks an identity on offense. We've ran a lot a few games but mostly thrown a ton. Watson is a left over from the Callihan regime. We had a pretty potent offense last year so it's hard to lay total blame on the OC. We may just need a good QB and Lee started off well but struggled as soon as we started playing conference teams. In fact he had been pulled a few times and didn't start a few games in favor of true Freshman Cody Green (the 6'4" 220 pound guy they put in to do the QB sneak). Overall the offense is young, but that doesn't excuse them for being that pathetic (especially the line). So everyone who has watched NU play has known they would struggle on offense. They average about 17 points per game against actual teams and that is just because the kicker is money. I was glad they played well and darn near pulled off a big upset (the line had TX favored by 14). The big 12 just hasn't been as good overall as it was last year because so many QBs/WRs graduated. Heck of a game but it felt like a bit of a gut punch to come that close.

We'll definitely miss Ndamukong Suh next year. I don't know if we've had an interior lineman quite like him (maybe Jason Peters from the 90s). Cody Green should be able to overtake the QB spot and lead NU into a more physical offense next year. We'll lose some secondary to graduation but I think most of the offense will be around and hopefully improve. It looks like Nebraska is going to the Holiday Bowl in San Diego to face the Arizona Wildcats. I don't know anything about the Wildcats this year but it'll be interesting to see how we match up. We thought we'd face USC but looks like they got beat out so we'll have to see what NU can put together against the Wild-kitties.

ETA. Nobody at the football party I was at (or conversation's since) disagreed with the horsecollar call. It sucked, but it was out in the open and those things will get flagged every time. The rule on replay for the clock was something I was unfamiliar with but a rule is a rule. The worst part was that Kunalic (who had been money all year and averages about 40% of his kicks going through the end zone) kicked it out of bounds. I think he was just trying to do too much as I've never seen him kick it out of bounds. Giving them the ball at the 40 and then the 15 yard horse collar was just a team choke and we payed the price of getting sloppy at the end.

Just to add to this, congrats UT, good luck in the title game. Suh is the best tackle at Nebraska in years. He's much better than even Jason Peter. His total size combined with his pure strength and speed is one thing, but when you're able to throw in his technique along with his footwork, it just makes him a whole nother animal. As far as the clock goes, it's a rule but it just sucks because seconds leak off the clock in essentially every football game, throughout the game, when players go out of bounds or the ball gets thrown away out of bounds. It's just so much more magnified because it's the FINAL second. It sucks that it came to that, because it's never looked at through out the game when precious seconds are leaked through any of the four quarter, but because it was at such a crucial spot they took a look. Tough break, but oh well. In essence, we made the plays down the stretch that beat ourselves. No ability to throw, no ability to run, and throw in the Kunalic kickoff which sucked, but the horse collar at the end by Asante really sealed it.

Basically all of the cornerbacks who had significant minutes will be back next year, we have a GREAT young D line and some great linebackers. I hope someone can replace the leadership Philip Dillard brought to the middle of the D. We lose a lot at safety though, with O'Hanlon, Asante, and probably Thenarse unless he somehow someway with luck gets a medical redshirt. Offensively, we'll have to see. I hope Cody Green can mature enough and develop enough in that 8 month span to secure the job. I didn't realize how bad we'd miss Joe Ganz/Nate Swift/Todd Peterson this year.

This. If I'm Alabama I'm not thrilled that Nebraska woke Texas up to some of their weak spots. Bama has weak spots as well. It should be a GREAT game.

BTW - I hadn't seen much of Nebraska the past few seasons, but they're in good hands and are clearly a force not too soon from now. And Suh is a man amongst boys. WOW. :wacko:

I haven't looked up his stat line for 2009 but he should be on the Heisman short list, in a year of no stand out candidates just a buncha nice ones.

It's unfortunate he's not getting much love at this point for even being on the short list, considering he's the leading candidate for all other possible awards. Here's his stat line:

82 tackles

23 tackles for loss

12 sacks

1 int

10 pass breakups (only lineman to rank in the top 100 in the country in pass breakups)

1 forced fumble

3 blocked kicks

24 QB hurries

Not to mention the non statlines a la countless double teams.

Edited by Akfatha

Just to add to this, congrats UT, good luck in the title game. Suh is the best tackle at Nebraska in years. He's much better than even Jason Peter. His total size combined with his pure strength and speed is one thing, but when you're able to throw in his technique along with his footwork, it just makes him a whole nother animal. As far as the clock goes, it's a rule but it just sucks because seconds leak off the clock in essentially every football game, throughout the game, when players go out of bounds or the ball gets thrown away out of bounds. It's just so much more magnified because it's the FINAL second. It sucks that it came to that, because it's never looked at through out the game when precious seconds are leaked through any of the four quarter, but because it was at such a crucial spot they took a look. Tough break, but oh well. In essence, we made the plays down the stretch that beat ourselves. No ability to throw, no ability to run, and throw in the Kunalic kickoff which sucked, but the horse collar at the end by Asante really sealed it.

Basically all of the cornerbacks who had significant minutes will be back next year, we have a GREAT young D line and some great linebackers. I hope someone can replace the leadership Philip Dillard brought to the middle of the D. We lose a lot at safety though, with O'Hanlon, Asante, and probably Thenarse unless he somehow someway with luck gets a medical redshirt. Offensively, we'll have to see. I hope Cody Green can mature enough and develop enough in that 8 month span to secure the job. I didn't realize how bad we'd miss Joe Ganz/Nate Swift/Todd Peterson this year.

Huskers are going to have their hands full with Arizona in San Diego.

Stoops has a legit D with tremendous speed combined with a potent offense that will score points - I just don't see Nebraska's offense scoring enough to be competitive

:D Dude, your PAC-10 goggles are a bit foggy. Good lord, come on. :wacko:

not sure anout the Prof claim, but I like the Pac 10 pride

Zona is legit, you are talking about a couple fluke plays and a double OT loss to Oregon, or this team is 10-2 and Pac 10 champs, but such is life as a UA football fan- but Stoops has them heading in the right direction.

the thing is D, as good as the Big 12 was the past couple years is as chitty as it was this year- these things happen, and it is just part of the deal, but I really do not think Texas is one of the top 2 teams in the country

that team I watched Saturday is coming out of the Pac 10 with 2-3 losses, easy.

I hope I am wrong and Texas shows up, but I can't help but think of OSU in recent years - bad conference, cupcake non conference, we have no clue how or if this team is really any good..........

not sure anout the Prof claim, but I like the Pac 10 pride

Zona is legit, you are talking about a couple fluke plays and a double OT loss to Oregon, or this team is 10-2 and Pac 10 champs, but such is life as a UA football fan- but Stoops has them heading in the right direction.

the thing is D, as good as the Big 12 was the past couple years is as chitty as it was this year- these things happen, and it is just part of the deal, but I really do not think Texas is one of the top 2 teams in the country

that team I watched Saturday is coming out of the Pac 10 with 2-3 losses, easy.

I hope I am wrong and Texas shows up, but I can't help but think of OSU in recent years - bad conference, cupcake non conference, we have no clue how or if this team is really any good..........

Zona has some nice players, I will certainly admit that. But to claim they're better on the skill player side than UT is downright weetodded.

Honestly, I think the defenses in the Big-12 were much, much better this season.

We'll see what happens. Alabama is stacked and we're gonna have our hands full, but I think it should be an entertaining game.

Zona has some nice players, I will certainly admit that. But to claim they're better on the skill player side than UT is downright weetodded.

Honestly, I think the defenses in the Big-12 were much, much better this season.

We'll see what happens. Alabama is stacked and we're gonna have our hands full, but I think it should be an entertaining game.

not here for some UA- Texas comparison to be honest, although I think UA will destroy Nebraska

there was NOT ONE THING better about the Big 12 this year- surely you can admit it was garbage this year. Texas got basically a free pass, combine that with a ridiculous non conference and this is what we are stuck with under the current system.

The Big 12 had good Defenses in Texas, OKL and Neb- the rest was a joke.

USC ended up being the #6 best defense in the Pac 10

I hope Bama-Texas is a heckuva game- I just don't think UT measures up,unfortunately.

not here for some UA- Texas comparison to be honest, although I think UA will destroy Nebraska

there was NOT ONE THING better about the Big 12 this year- surely you can admit it was garbage this year. Texas got basically a free pass, combine that with a ridiculous non conference and this is what we are stuck with under the current system.

The Big 12 had good Defenses in Texas, OKL and Neb- the rest was a joke.

USC ended up being the #6 best defense in the Pac 10

I hope Bama-Texas is a heckuva game- I just don't think UT measures up,unfortunately.

:wacko:

I wasn't the one that made the ridiculous comparison in the first place.

And sorry, the Big-12 was not "garbage" this season. Oklahoma suffered major, MAJOR injuries, and Okie St. was hit hard with the loss of Dez Bryant. Those two teams should still be mattering at this point. One thing I will agree on, however, is the lack of any meat within Texas' non-conference schedule.

And sorry, you are flat-out wrong if you contend that there were only three good defenses in the Big-12. Texas Tech was #3 in the FBS in sacks. Texas A&M was tied for #8. Oklahoma St. was #6 in the FBS in rushing yards allowed (#33 overall in yards/game).

:D at a Pac-10 honk talking about garbage defenses. Just :D

Obviously you have an earlier bed time than most. :wacko: I'll Fed Ex you some film. Hell, I've seen Texas play 4 times this year and I'll stand by my claim ..... Pac-10 fan, or not.

I've seen plenty of Pac-10 action this year. UT's wideouts and running backs are ridiculous. I'm not trying to say UofA's kids aren't solid players.

I wasn't the one that made the ridiculous comparison in the first place.

And sorry, the Big-12 was not "garbage" this season. Oklahoma suffered major, MAJOR injuries, and Okie St. was hit hard with the loss of Dez Bryant. Those two teams should still be mattering at this point. One thing I will agree on, however, is the lack of any meat within Texas' non-conference schedule.

And sorry, you are flat-out wrong if you contend that there were only three good defenses in the Big-12. Texas Tech was #3 in the FBS in sacks. Texas A&M was tied for #8. Oklahoma St. was #6 in the FBS in rushing yards allowed (#33 overall in yards/game).

:D at a Pac-10 honk talking about garbage defenses. Just :D

:D

first of all - it isn't that ridiculous- UA finished 2nd in the Pac 10 and took Oregon to double OT.

There is no doubt in my mind Texas loses 2-3 games playing a full Pac 10 round robin schedule - they just aren't that impressive

good stuff - you realize Big 12 Defenses numbers are completely skewed by their soft non conference AND some very bad offenses in the Big 12, right?

Sagarin has the Big 12 as the 5th best conference, just ahead of the Big 10

UA scoring 31 on the Huskers....

Let's not forget this post.

And on a side note, I don't think anyone really cares that UA took Oregon to double overtime or suffered their losses by only a few points. In that same sense, Nebraska could easily be 12-1 right now. But I don't play that game and I don't believe in those kinds of thought processes. A loss is a loss just as a win is a win. December 30th shall be fun indeed. But it is certainly fun to see the Wildcats fans come out and claim a blow out of the Huskers. Hehehe..I guess nobody has watched our D this year still. :wacko:

UA scoring 31 on the Huskers....

Let's not forget this post.

And on a side note, I don't think anyone really cares that UA took Oregon to double overtime or suffered their losses by only a few points. In that same sense, Nebraska could easily be 12-1 right now. But I don't play that game and I don't believe in those kinds of thought processes. A loss is a loss just as a win is a win. December 30th shall be fun indeed. But it is certainly fun to see the Wildcats fans come out and claim a blow out of the Huskers. Hehehe..I guess nobody has watched our D this year still. :wacko:

I totally respect N defense, but I think UA will score, if they DO get 30+ it will be a blowout - I see more like 27-13.

See, here's the thing - UA has the #21 defense, Nebraska #9 - a difference of 30 yds/game, UA played a much tougher sched against much better offenses

UA is good on both sides of the ball - Nebraskas's offense is out of the stone ages

:D

first of all - it isn't that ridiculous- UA finished 2nd in the Pac 10 and took Oregon to double OT.

There is no doubt in my mind Texas loses 2-3 games playing a full Pac 10 round robin schedule - they just aren't that impressive

good stuff - you realize Big 12 Defenses numbers are completely skewed by their soft non conference AND some very bad offenses in the Big 12, right?

Sagarin has the Big 12 as the 5th best conference, just ahead of the Big 10

Sagarin... :D

OK man, whatever.

I totally respect N defense, but I think UA will score, if they DO get 30+ it will be a blowout - I see more like 27-13.

See, here's the thing - UA has the #21 defense, Nebraska #9 - a difference of 30 yds/game, UA played a much tougher sched against much better offenses

UA is good on both sides of the ball - Nebraskas's offense is out of the stone ages

You're only going by YPG, where seemingly small amounts of yardage make a significant difference in the rankings. Look at every other defensive statistic category. And you're doing the same thing all OU fans did and all UT fans did, compare who we played vs who you played. Doesn't work that way. I could easily look at the points you guys have consistently allowed on the defensive side of the ball and say we could put up points because of that, but like I said, I don't play any numbers games of this team vs that team. All I play is UA vs NU, and we'll see what happens on December 30th. I do think it's foolish for you to look at the numbers you do, then say Arizona is going to score around 30. But I don't feel like battling with a pac10 fan just as I've had to do with sooner fans and horns fans all year. It's getting old. Every Saturday is different. Some people need to learn to be a little humble.

And as far as good on both sides of the ball goes- You're not the only team we've played with that wonderful distinction.

You're only going by YPG, where seemingly small amounts of yardage make a significant difference in the rankings. Look at every other defensive statistic category. And you're doing the same thing all OU fans did and all UT fans did, compare who we played vs who you played. Doesn't work that way. I could easily look at the points you guys have consistently allowed on the defensive side of the ball and say we could put up points because of that, but like I said, I don't play any numbers games of this team vs that team. All I play is UA vs NU, and we'll see what happens on December 30th. I do think it's foolish for you to look at the numbers you do, then say Arizona is going to score around 30. But I don't feel like battling with a pac10 fan just as I've had to do with sooner fans and horns fans all year. It's getting old. Every Saturday is different. Some people need to learn to be a little humble.

And as far as good on both sides of the ball goes- You're not the only team we've played with that wonderful distinction.

all good- I can't wait for the game, but you are right about one thing- it is hard to compare the numbers bc unlike Nebraska (Fla Atlantic, Ark State, Louis-Lafayette) and most of the Big 12, out here in the Pac 10 we actually play FBS teams

On a side note to that, if you'd like to make a signature or avatar bet on the game, I'm down.

all good- I can't wait for the game, but you are right about one thing- it is hard to compare the numbers bc unlike Nebraska (Fla Atlantic, Ark State, Louis-Lafayette) and most of the Big 12, out here in the Pac 10 we actually play FBS teams

If you want to play this silly game, let's do it. You forgot to mention Va Tech, and remind me again of the OOC monsters Zona played besides their double digit loss to the Hawkeyes? Oh and that 27 you gave up to Iowa, how many other times on the year did your awesome defense allow ATLEAST 27+ points? I know, I know, your excuse is "Pac 10 is awesome," but let's try to be original okay? You love number crunching so much, lay out all the statistics, not just defensive YPG (where we're ahead of you by 10+ spots anyway, not sure how that's in your advantage). Come on lil kitty cat, don't be scared.

Edited by Akfatha

I don't do avatar bets, I bet straight cash, homie- sound good? 50, 100?

current line is UA -1.5

I don't bet cash.

If I wanted to I'd go to sportsbook.

It's a forum so if you wanna make a bet, it's going to be avatar or sig.

Edited by Akfatha